Waiting for OF
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stacie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Gt Premium FB Orange fury
Vehicle Showcase
Right now I have a 2013 V6 Premium Convertible. I love the convertible but I hardly put the top down because it is always so hot here unless its in the fall.

I am going to be trading my car in for a 2018 GT Premium PP. Now the real question is: Coupe of Convertible? I have not ridden in a s550 or an s550 convertible. But I love the coupe lines and the fact that you get the spoiler on it. Any suggestions? And my parents and I plan on moving to Florida.
Sponsored

lowatts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
My opinion is the coupe looks much better, has a more rigid chassis, no cross brace in the bottom to get in the way of some exhaust mods, better visibility out back. I owned a 2016 coupe for a while and test drove a convertible with the top up before I bought the coupe, now thinking about getting a 2018 couple. Plus the coupe is cheaper and offers some protection to my head if I ever roll the car. One last thing is I think most convertibles from the last 10 to 20 years, not just the Mustang, has the windshield raked so far back that it takes away some of the open air driving experience.

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
Verts are a lifestyle.

If you want performance-get a hardtop as they are around 100-200 pounds lighter.

If you want to autocrossing-get a hardtop as you will have less body twist.

If you want quicker handling-get a hardtop as the performance pack is has a larger rear sway bar and less weight to throw around.

If you want to look better-get a vert!

If you want the free lifestyle-get a vert! They just are more fun when the top is down.

CVCashmere
Vert Owner

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
Vert!! Vert!! Vert!! Vert!!

Up until 2015, I had never seen convertible look good with the top up. There always seemed to be a lack of symmetry. Then in 2015 something happened..... the S550 was born and with it came one hell of a gorgeous convertible. Jeez, everyone I look at mine I have a grin from ear to ear.

Like [MENTION=29565]CVCashmere[/MENTION] said..... "it's a lifestyle". If it suits yours, buy one. If not, get a coupe.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Your either a vert person or your not in my book.

I'll say this....the s550 chassis is worlds beyond previous generations as far as stiffness.

Coming from the previous generation it will feel like a coupe to you.

Sponsored

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
Your either a vert person or your not in my book.

I'll say this....the s550 chassis is worlds beyond previous generations as far as stiffness.

Coming from the previous generation it will feel like a coupe to you.
ABSO....effing....LUTELY!!!!!!:headbang:

OP
OP
sbrenskell

sbrenskell

Waiting for OF
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stacie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Gt Premium FB Orange fury
Vehicle Showcase
After thinking about it. I have decided to get a coupe. They look better and better on insurance. :)

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
If you're a "convertible person", you won't ask this question, there's no substitute. I rarely have my my top +up+, seriously, I'd say ~85% of my use is top down.

On the street - and driving within legal street limits - you won't really notice much difference, the S550 chassis is fantastic, the convertible gets some extra bracing (with plenty of exhaust options to accommodate it).

Last edited:

DukeGaGa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
To me, I don't like any convertibles that has a side profile which is basically a straight line when the top is down, especially if the line goes upwards towards the back, e.g. Merc SLK. It has to have a curve some where close to the driver's seat and/or rear wheels, e.g. Mazda Miata, Jaguar F-Type, BMW Z4 and so on. A straight line will only work for me if it is lower in the back than the front. That's why I'm not a big fan of Convertible Mustangs.

And also, I agree with Jeremy Clarkson's comment on four-seat convertibles.:lol:

Sponsored

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
If you're a "convertible person", you won't ask this question, there's no substitute. I rarely have my my top +up+, seriously, I'd say ~85% of my use is top down.

On the street - and driving within legal street limits - you won't really notice much difference, the S550 chassis is fantastic, the convertible gets some extra bracing (with plenty of exhaust options to accommodate it).
Couldn't have said it better myself.

To me, I don't like any convertibles that has a side profile which is basically a straight line when the top is down, especially if the line goes upwards towards the back, e.g. Merc SLK. It has to have a curve some where close to the driver's seat and/or rear wheels, e.g. Mazda Miata, Jaguar F-Type, BMW Z4 and so on. A straight line will only work for me if it is lower in the back than the front. That's why I'm not a big fan of Convertible Mustangs.

And also, I agree with Jeremy Clarkson's comment on four-seat convertibles.:lol:
Styling is so subjective, I feel the exact opposite. I love the lines of the vert with the top down!

Getting reading to head out on a road trip now and if I didnt have a back seat my poor son would be in the trunk. :shrug:

Jeremy is in a Spanish hospital right now with pneumonia. In pretty bad shape from what I read. :(

In a perfect world I would have both.
I'd have a Magnetic GT350 to play with at the track, and my vert for the weekends!

DukeGaGa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Styling is so subjective, I feel the exact opposite. I love the lines of the vert with the top down!

Getting reading to head out on a road trip now and if I didnt have a back seat my poor son would be in the trunk. :shrug:

Jeremy is in a Spanish hospital right now with pneumonia. In pretty bad shape from what I read. :(

I'd have a Magnetic GT350 to play with at the track, and my vert for the weekends!
Didn't know he was hospitalized, hope he gets better. And yeah, styling is just purely personal preference, and I'd say the back seats in the vert is much more useful than the ones in the coupe, recently sat in one and had to either tilt my whole body forward or sideways in order to not bump my head. :shrug:

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
...I hardly put the top down because it is always so hot here unless its in the fall.
Maybe a convertible is not for you. We drive our Jeep YJ from April to November down here without the top or doors.

It is when the top is up on most verts that makes them look bad.

At highway speeds is the interior noise high in a vert with the top up? You can't here yourself think in the YJ with the soft top on.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe a convertible is not for you. We drive our Jeep YJ from April to November down here without the top or doors.

It is when the top is up on most verts that makes them look bad.

At highway speeds is the interior noise high in a vert with the top up? You can't here yourself think in the YJ with the soft top on.
I had a soft top LJ once upon a time with Super Swamper TSL's on it. I dialed into a conference call once and they asked me if I was in a helicopter!
Sponsored