Sponsored

Anyone else feeling relief after getting a 15/17 GT instead of waiting?

Relieved after getting your 15/17 Mustang and seeing the 2018 pricing?

• Yes, I'm more than happy with my purchase.

Votes: 51 92.7%
  • No, I wish I would have waited for the 2018.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • No, I want to trade in towards a 2018.

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
My original plan was to go straight into a 2018 Mustang GT Premium never owning a Mustang in my life. I've only test driven a 2016 Mustang GT Premium with the PP and I loved it. My biggest fear did end up happening with the 2018 Mustang... it ended up being absurdly expensive.

I told myself back in April, "Well, Grabber Blue being a limited color to the 2017, most of the kinks should be worked out right before a refresh, and the fact that I can get a crazy good deal and exactly what I want if I order." If I wait, I know I'll pay well over 45k for what I want with no discounts.

After seeing how the options and the performance packs were put together, I'm a little bit annoyed with Ford. I noticed that you actually are paying for that hideous spoiler, then if you remove it, the price doesn't change so you're still paying for it regardless. They separated the Shaker system out of the 401A package to upcharge it more. It's very obvious they are trying to squeeze every dollar they can out of the car that's not going to be much different than the 15-17. I can honestly say there's other cars at that price point I would be looking at for 45k. That was one of the biggest reasons the 15-17 was so successful was the bang for the buck price. Leaves room to mod the car and make it even better than its stock form.

It's very clear and apparent Ford is focusing on their Ecoboost sales and not the GT any longer. I can honestly say I won't be surprised when several Mustang GT's are sitting on dealer lots unsold.

I was able to get every option I dreamed of on a 2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium with the PP, $44,470 MSRP for $36,900 before TTL. By the time I get my mods on that I want to improve the car drastically both with rubber and tuning, I'll be still under the price point of my same exact GT Premium on the builder by a few thousand.

This is just my story on how I'm feeling right now. I'm very proud of owning my 2017 now because the 2018 just moved into a new league of pricing that I don't think it belongs in personally.
Sponsored

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
Yes i feel the value of my gtpp every time i get in and drive it.

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
Yes i feel the value of my gtpp every time i get in and drive it.
Agreed, while the engine upgrade in the '18 looks nice. The '15/'16 PP were a STEAL for the paltry price they charged for the package. Have not looked at '18 pricing but will be hanging on to my '16 GT Premium/PP for awhile.....unless the rumors of the GT500 in '19 are true, that may draw me back into the market :headbang:

I am looking into the Ford performance tunes and what they add, maybe get me even the stock '18's?

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
For months I was torn between buying a used 2016 GT Premium, a new 2017 GT Premium, or waiting for the 2018, knowing that the 2018 would come in around 45k with the options I wanted (now that the pricing is out, it would have been more like 47k). I generally don't like to take the first year depreciation hit, so last month I bought a 2016 with 10k miles and about 28% off msrp. It is exactly as I would have ordered it - though the price on the 2017 was also not too bad (about 12% off msrp). Do I regret my decision? So far, not at all. Even with xplan, the 2018 GT will still be pretty pricey compared to a 2017. If you're a tech geek and want a serious car for the track, a 2018 base GT PP with Magneride will be hard to beat. However, a used GT350 is not too far away then. For normal/spirited street driving, you'll be fine with a heavily discounted 2017 which you can probably bring close to 2018 performance with a few bolt-ons and still be like 8k under 2018 pricing. For that money saved, you can even go FI and have a seriously fast car.

DropTopBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2017 EB Conv, Perf Pak, Borla Sport Axleback
The allure of an even newer car will always tempt me, however I'll be perfectly happy with my '17 Ecoboost Performance Package because...
-I don't need a heated steering wheel...I have a nice pair of insulated gloves
-I don't need "drag-strip" mode...I'm a Cruzer not a Bruzer
-310hp is more than plenty for me...again, Cruzer, not Bruzer
-I prefer the '17's head, fog, accent and tail lamp designs...much more "classic" look
-I prefer the twin round bezel instrument cluster...'18 oval design could be any make
-White Platinum discontinued for '18
-Don't want autonomous braking...my car stops when I decide to make it stop
-Don't need anymore padded interior surfaces...it's a Sports Car, not a padded cell

Sponsored

abharwani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT Premium
I'm more than happy with not waiting after seeing the prices. I know the prices will eventually go down but that would have meant waiting even longer. The main things I would have wanted from the refresh would be the digital cluster and upgraded transmission. I would have really considered the 10 speed auto. However, I am excited to see the 18's driving around and seeing what they're all about.

amk91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTP PP and 2014 SVT Raptor SE
I am 60% confident in my choice for a S550 Mk. I (2014-17) vs Mk.II (2017/18 to present).

Of all the shitty renderings back in 2012-early 2013 for the current car, when I saw this, I knew it was the car I wanted and I didn't even know what it looked like yet.

mustangrender.jpg

July-2013-MMFF.jpg

For months I was nervous this rendering was a pipe dream and Ford approved a lesser final design back in 2012.

2015-Mustang-Render-Blue-Mustang6G.jpg

As prototypes appeared and higher quality renderings showed up by Summer 2013, I crossed my fingers even more.

Leaked+2015+Ford+Mustang+Specs.jpg

The day I saw this leak in August 2013, I felt my prayers were answered and never considered this car a Fusion-coupe for one second.

SideStang.jpg

2015_ford_mustang_chazcron_2.jpg

Chazcron further reassured that during the fall months of 2013, even as stupid Car and Driver released a fake-*** rendering as "the real deal". This was the only forum, that sided with Chazcron over C&D's faked leak.

2015-ford-mustang-artists-rendering-109-photo-548379-s-original.jpg

5-2015-mustang-leaked-car-driver-2015-ford-mustang-artists-rendering-153-photo-548423-s-original.jpg

The minute the facelift deviated from that, instead of further evolving it with thinner lenses or simply a newer lighting design, I had issues. The new car is a great product though, even if the price has gone up and packaging broken up, to become a la carte.

For months I was torn between buying a used 2016 GT Premium, a new 2017 GT Premium, or waiting for the 2018, knowing that the 2018 would come in around 45k with the options I wanted (now that the pricing is out, it would have been more like 47k). I generally don't like to take the first year depreciation hit, so last month I bought a 2016 with 10k miles and about 28% off msrp...
Good lord, that is a beautiful shot of your car in your avatar. I badly wanted Deep Impact Blue, that I'll never forgive them for dropping it for model year 2017. My feelings go up and down for Magnetic, but pics like yours reassure me of how great it is.

My favorite Mustang generations are both the S-197 and S550 (outside of gen 1), but your avatar reminds me of an Aston Martin. I love British cars more anything (Aston, Jaguar, Bentley, RR, LR) and have felt that the Mustang, has been a more affordable and American take on the British grand tourer.

2326.jpg

Ford-Mustang-Fastback-Mk-1-vs-Aston-Martin-V8-9412-default-large.jpg

Especially the Aston Martin DB4, in which the later Vantage ended up looking a like a Mustang because similar of interests in design approach, until the Mustang II.

154089d1334968015-next-gen-mustang-lose-retro-looks-aston-martin_vantage-v12_s1_09.jpg

vanquishgal5.jpg

The 2018 (which I like a bit more now), reminds me more of a Jaguar upfront. It clashes for me with the existing parallel similarities to Aston Martin and Porsche (rear), but looks great in some colors.

31511114107271600x1060_0.jpg

2258895615.jpg

Until the Europeans, can deliver a car that is as well-equipped and affordable as a Mustang, I feel it is unmatched in the meantime in regards to modernity and all-around appeal. The Dodge Challenger is good enough as a retro tribute (slightly watered down by 2015MY+), the Camaro has become a styling cliche.

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
[MENTION=6605]amk91[/MENTION]: Great pics, thank you for posting! Totally agree with you. Haha, a grey Aston was my dream car when I was younger. On the Mustang, DIB would have been my second choice but Magnetic is my favorite, I just like the understated, almost elegant look it gives the car. I know, other people think it is super boring...to each their own :)

SQLdadTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang EcoBoost
I agree with you guys on the 2017 models. I picked up my 2017 Ecoboost a week ago 100A package, auto with the 19" wheels. The 10 speed auto would have been nice, but nothing else seemed like a big deal. $24,100 was a good deal all warrantied up and I'm sure the deals would not be nearly as good on the new 2018s.

amk91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTP PP and 2014 SVT Raptor SE
[MENTION=6605]amk91[/MENTION]: Great pics, thank you for posting! Totally agree with you. Haha, a grey Aston was my dream car when I was younger. On the Mustang, DIB would have been my second choice but Magnetic is my favorite, I just like the understated, almost elegant look it gives the car. I know, other people think it is super boring...to each their own :)
You're welcome, as that photo of yours has convinced me I have nothing to doubt in color choice. It looks like perfection at that angle.

The grey Aston being your dream car, explains your vehicle choice.:thumbsup:

Yeah, I have seen some stock V6s and base Ecoboosts in Magnetic, which worried me, but each time I see a few Magnetic GTs or modded V6s/Ecoboosts, plus this very 2015 below, I know I've made the right decision.

2015-Ford-Mustang-GT-Front.jpg

2015-Ford-Mustang-GT-Rear.jpg

2015-Ford-Mustang-GT-interior1.jpg

2015-Ford-Mustang-GT-Recaro_seats-1024x718.jpg

2015-Ford-Mustang-GT-Wheel_3.jpg

2015-Ford-Mustang-GT-Stick.jpg

Of course, this isn't too bad either.

18FordMustang_HR_07.jpg

(Rights for 2015 photos belong to Ron Avery)

If you don't mind me asking, is it a Performance Pack or Black Accent? Back in 2013-14 during the 50th Anniv/reveal era, I didn't like wheel choice for the PP, but I have grown to love it over the past year.

Sponsored

milner_7

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.highdefinitionautodetail.ca
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue
Vehicle Showcase
With improvements comes a price, if they are going to compete with the Camaro they have to go this route. The Mustang is evolving into a sports car and less a Pony or Muscle car.

chipmaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT premium
My 17 GT was a spur of the moment purchase. I crapped when I read the 18s were gonna be different. After first look , I relaxed. That being said, I would take the performance updgrades, and I would love the new display if just for digital speed. Maybe I'll trade up for a 19 drop top? As it was, I stood with salesman in a heard of 30+ Mustangs and I told him, "let's make a deal".

Mr. Dad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT w/PP Magnetic 6 spd; 2005 F150 FX4
Part of my urgency in ordering a '17 was that I was afraid I would not like the '18 refresh when I was sure that I did like the '17s.

Turns out I was right and don't like the '18s appearance at all. Wait, will I get banned for saying that?

Couldn't be happier with my decision and I have the car today, not 6 months from now.

sbrenskell

Waiting for OF
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stacie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Gt Premium FB Orange fury
Vehicle Showcase
I have a single 2017 GT Premium California Special in mind. It's yellow with everything I want. Now to just get the funds so I can drive my 2013 V6 Premium Convertible to Raleigh (about 3 1/2-4 hours away) so I can get it before anyone else buys it! But they also have a Lightning blue exactly the same so it's actually between those two :)

But yes I actually went to one dealer and called another one to order a 2018 but after talking to my parents I decided I will get a 2017 and if I like the refresh then I will custom order one! But I don't want to spend 54k on a car in two years I might be trading in on a 2020 or 2021 model! :)

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Not being a fan of the 18' models, I am definitely satisfied with my purchase.

I was thinking of waiting for the 10spd auto mostly, as well as the magneride and digital cluster. But once I saw the official photos is when I decided to order my car the next week or two so I was nowhere near the cutoff date.

I will probably go test drive a 18' GT to feel the 10 speed auto because that still intrigues me. I may swap in the digital cluster if that becomes available and I like it when I see it in person.
Sponsored