Sponsored

MY2017 factory order timing

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I have to wonder why they wouldn't have accounted for this though. I understand that many OEMs favor nowadays a just-in-time philosophy for production (in regards suppliers and parts, lean manufacturing), but I would've hoped as long as I was within that supposed ordering window I would avoid any issues.

If it concerned some equipment, I'd understand (depending on what it is). But the message I am instead getting is, that all GTs are not happening which doesn't make sense. It sounds more like my dealer wants to me buy from their inventory or hope that they've already ordered a similar enough GT Premium to arrive as final inventory, to buy off their lot.

Seems silly to me on the basis, that there will still be 2017s on the lot until December 31st, likely just a mere few weeks after the 2018s go on sale. For them not to be prepared to build ANY GTs to last through Nov-December, is absurd to me.
Ford has probably accounted for it best they could, but they have no idea how many orders will come in before they close the order system on 2017s. There could be more pouring in than they expected due to some people not liking the 2018 refresh. It looks like they are building 2017s later in the year than they would have if the 2018 wasn't a pretty major refresh.

All you can do is put your order in and wait to see how it all transpires.
Sponsored

amk91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTP PP and 2014 SVT Raptor SE
Ford has probably accounted for it best they could, but they have no idea how many orders will come in before they close the order system on 2017s. There could be more pouring in than they expected due to some people not liking the 2018 refresh. It looks like they are building 2017s later in the year than they would have if the 2018 wasn't a pretty major refresh.

All you can do is put your order in and wait to see how it all transpires.
Thanks GT Pony, I already did order it on Monday, June 26th. Appreciate you providing some answers to our questions. Have always wanted a new Mustang, but allowed too many other vehicles to come before it. Just can't find a used 2016/17 GT Premium 6MT within 250 miles of me, with what I actually want, so I ordered one.

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I would call the dealer and ask for some info. The dealer was actually much more accurate with an ETA and VIN than COTUS was.
My dealer wasn't able to explain why my order didn't get VIN# after a month of wait.

So, to those who went through all this wait in the past. Were you able to find your vehicle by order#, dealer#, last name brfore you got vin#?

GTRacerX.

The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP
VIN Number Assigment

My dealer wasn't able to explain why my order didn't get VIN# after a month of wait.

So, to those who went through all this wait in the past. Were you able to find your vehicle by order#, dealer#, last name brfore you got vin#?
My dealer told me it would take 7-10 days and it took exactly 10 days.
Sometimes it could take longer. Just make sure you have good communication with your sales representative. :thumbsup:

Sponsored

amk91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
amk91 ... good luck, hope they build your order with no issues.
Well, I just finally heard today that my "order was not picked up". Ford has somehow decided they are "no longer building V8s". I will go collect my deposit from that stupid dealership.

Another dealer not too far away I went to yesterday, wants to see what they can do with one of their existing 3 GT allocations and see if my car can be ordered. They haven't asked for a deposit yet, but are working on it eagerly.

Hopefully it works, but I am not counting on it. I ordered on June 26th, so IDK over these issues against a replacement barely due in December.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
^^^ That sucks ... sounds like you're alternate plan might work.

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Well, I just finally heard today that my "order was not picked up". Ford has somehow decided they are "no longer building V8s". I will go collect my deposit from that stupid dealership.

Another dealer not too far away I went to yesterday, wants to see what they can do with one of their existing 3 GT allocations and see if my car can be ordered. They haven't asked for a deposit yet, but are working on it eagerly.

Hopefully it works, but I am not counting on it. I ordered on June 26th, so IDK over these issues against a replacement barely due in December.
Wow, that is weird... I wonder if that's dealership bs ing you... Have you got rder confirmation previously?

amk91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
^^^ That sucks ... sounds like you're alternate plan might work.
I hope so, but I can't be too sure. Thanks!

Wow, that is weird... I wonder if that's dealership bs ing you... Have you got rder confirmation previously?
Never got any Vehicle Order Confirmation document or Dealer Order Acknowledgement Receipt, plus no VIN either of course. Just an order number. I have thought the same thing honestly, only ordered with them because of good rappaport with one salesman. Everyone else around him is poison IMO.

List all your order codes in thread and the forum will make it happen.
You SUUURE you dont want 70hp more 2018?
I have listed the order code, 794A, thank you sigintel. Unfortunately, no, I do not want to wait until December for a 2018, as I was really taken aback by the refresh and expected something different.

Every Mustang from 2004 (S197) to 2017, I have liked. Even prior to that, SN-95s and post-1986 Fox bodies to a lesser degree. The 2018 is my first Mustang disappointment in a long time, save for the '05 S197 differing too much from '03 concept upon reveal in early 2004. Really appreciate it all of you.

Sponsored
OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I hope so, but I can't be too sure. Thanks!

Never got any Vehicle Order Confirmation document or Dealer Order Acknowledgement Receipt, plus no VIN either of course. Just an order number. I have thought the same thing honestly, only ordered with them because of good rappaport with one salesman. Everyone else around him is poison IMO.

I have listed the order code, 794A, thank you sigintel. Unfortunately, no, I do not want to wait until December for a 2018, as I was really taken aback by the refresh and expected something different.

Every Mustang from 2004 (S197) to 2017, I have liked. Even prior to that, SN-95s and post-1986 Fox bodies to a lesser degree. The 2018 is my first Mustang disappointment in a long time, save for the '05 S197 differing too much from '03 concept upon reveal in early 2004. Really appreciate it all of you.
I think order Number and Order code are two different things. You were supposed to get a PDF or printout with a bunch of information on your order. You can see a sample in Ordering/Tracking sub forum sticky section.

For some reason I believe your dealer haven't actually placed your order. I placed mine, then waited a couple of days and then called them to ask for updates and order printout. So the date on order printout was actually several days later than the day I placed the deposit.

Agree with you on 2018 - I do not want to buy that one because of the looks. So if I'm not getting 2017, then I'll switch to some other brand.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X

Sometimes dealers will try to locate the car your looking for at another location. Maybe you can find what your looking for on the lot somewhere?

amk91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think order Number and Order code are two different things. You were supposed to get a PDF or printout with a bunch of information on your order. You can see a sample in Ordering/Tracking sub forum sticky section.

For some reason I believe your dealer haven't actually placed your order. I placed mine, then waited a couple of days and then called them to ask for updates and order printout. So the date on order printout was actually several days later than the day I placed the deposit.

Agree with you on 2018 - I do not want to buy that one because of the looks. So if I'm not getting 2017, then I'll switch to some other brand.

Yeah, I don't have anything like that in regards to documentation. Just a tiny cash register receipt for my deposit. Each time I brought this up (lack of confirmation docs), the inventory manager would just arrogantly claim, that my order was already a special exception and is pending pickup by Ford and that I needed to wait until this Wednesday, then say explain I've reached a new stage each time a deadline of his was reached.

I actually tried to go about this the way that you did in the emboldened text during the business week of the June 26-30 , but never got such confirmation (likely VOC or DORA), by the 30th. Only on the 30th did they give that 4-digit alphanumeric order code, likely to pacify me.

They have written off my requests each time, on the basis of "Ford's factory rep still trying to see if they can build my car." Other people on the forum have said to me, that I needed to wait and that COTUS takes awhile, essentially take it easy. I've not been able to really confirm my order independent of the dealer, save for Ford Marketing saying my order was in processing (except one incompetent rep claiming it wasn't there at all on 07/10).

I agree 100% with you on the 2018.

1. Personally, I also do not like the altering of the front fascia (too much) nor the minor changes to the faceplate at the rear, everything else is great. Ever since J Mays left, I am seeing an odd change to new mid-cycle designs of model generations that were completed under him during earlier part of this decade. The updated F-150 and Mustang are disappointments to me, that I wonder if Moray Callum is right for it?
  2. The car looks okay in a few dark colors, but I am not willing to wait until the bordering December release date for something I might half-way tolerate. If this doesn't go through, Ford has until S650 reveal in 2020 to earn my business in 2021. By then I may not want a Mustang anymore.

I am hoping in the end that you do not go through the same thing I did Accel, thanks again.

I am also hoping if anyone in this forum can really help out with ensuring my order, please get in touch with me as soon as you can. I am going to collect my deposit back, since I haven't heard anything on that end (via M6G) that could rectify this matter.

Last edited:

amk91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sometimes dealers will try to locate the car your looking for at another location. Maybe you can find what your looking for on the lot somewhere?
No, I cannot find what I want on any lot nearby, which is particularly why I ordered my vehicle. Ordering was very much a last resort for me, that only happened after studying dealership inventories within 250 miles of me and incoming builds.

I warned them that searching inventory and locating at other dealers wasn't going to suffice, unless exactly what I wanted was coming in.

Only one of them so far, is trying to change an existing allocation on a 2017 GT to my GT Premium configuration and hasn't even demanded a deposit from me yet. I'll see what happens in this case by Monday or Tuesday, as only a used 2016-17 with the same options will do the job or a Mustang will not be a consideration for me this decade.

Last edited:

amk91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've been working with another dealer since Thursday night/Friday morning, that has altered one of their allocations for a 2017 GT to GT Premium 401A manual.

On Friday I got the bad news from the old dealer and then demanded a refund on Saturday, after two consecutive visits after hearing the news. Refund appeared back in my account on Tuesday.

New dealer is still waiting on Ford to accept their order change on their allocation and haven't even asked me for a deposit.

Old dealer called today saying Ford "will do it" and that I should come by to make a $500 deposit again. Old dealer has no allocations though.
Sponsored