Sponsored

Header options question

Venandakatra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue GT350
The mod bug finally got the best of me and am going to do off-road headers and a flex fuel tune. I was debating between American Racing and Stainless Works and someone I was talking to suggested I should really be deciding between Kooks and Stainless Works.

Is there any consensus around what is best from a power and sound perspective or are they all pretty equal? I have looked at a few videos and I haven't really noticed much of a difference from one OR header to another in sound, but know that videos aren't the greatest representation.
Sponsored

oregongt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 HE, 1967GT Fastback S code,
Headers

The mod bug finally got the best of me and am going to do off-road headers and a flex fuel tune. I was debating between American Racing and Stainless Works and someone I was talking to suggested I should really be deciding between Kooks and Stainless Works.

Is there any consensus around what is best from a power and sound perspective or are they all pretty equal? I have looked at a few videos and I haven't really noticed much of a difference from one OR header to another in sound, but know that videos aren't the greatest representation.
Tons of posts on headers and the various results use your search option at the top of the page.:ford::ford::ford::ford:

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
All three are top tier products, all three use 304 stainless, all three use top of the line mandrel benders, all three are pretty expensive. Cats quality is clearly not a concern for you so flip a coin. The only thing I'd point out is that Stainless Works typically bunches their primary tubes together pretty tightly when they build headers so they MIGHT be a touch easier to install and handle vs the other two.

JuRuKi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
If you are lowered another thing to consider is ground clearance. I just paid $500 to install my Pypes headers and i cant make it over speed bumps without hitting the headers (they hang a full inch lower than the rest of the car). My car is only dropped 1.5 in front and 1.0 in rear.

TonyJ5150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350

I may be willing to part with my Kooks headers for the right price...have custom headers for the Twins now..

Sponsored

OP
OP

Venandakatra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My car is currently at factory ride height and I don't plan on lowering it, so that should not be an issue.

I will road course the car on occasion, but I need to work on my driving before refining parts. This is more for street enjoyment.

What do you consider the right price for the kooks?

TonyJ5150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
My car is currently at factory ride height and I don't plan on lowering it, so that should not be an issue.

I will road course the car on occasion, but I need to work on my driving before refining parts. This is more for street enjoyment.

What do you consider the right price for the kooks?
They are what, $1450 new..IDK, do you think $1k is fair? Ill throw in the JTL oil separator too..

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
They are what, $1450 new..IDK, do you think $1k is fair? Ill throw in the JTL oil separator too..
That's a pretty good deal. I couldn't find any SW videos without the whole exhaust too, but the kooks and the ARH offroad headers and the factory mufflers sounds fun amazing.

In fact, if he doesn't take you up on that you might holler at me if you wana get rid of em

OP
OP

Venandakatra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I already have the ford performance separators and I will let you know, if you still have them once I am ready to pull the trigger. By all means sell it to the other guy if he is ready.

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 1966 Couple (347 Stroker)
I have kooks being delivered next week to go along with a lund tune. Offroad xpipe as well.

Sponsored

TonyJ5150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
That's a pretty good deal. I couldn't find any SW videos without the whole exhaust too, but the kooks and the ARH offroad headers and the factory mufflers sounds fun amazing.

In fact, if he doesn't take you up on that you might holler at me if you wana get rid of em
Let me know if you want them..Ill have to hunt down a few boxes..

AndreiD

converted Ford fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2009 BMW X6 50i, 2012 BMW K1300R

I made my decision based on sound alone. I watched countless Kooks, ARH, SWs, Borla etc videos and I found Stainless Works to be the best choice for me in terms of headers, along with a Corsa Xpipe. Why? Because it retains the stock tunes while making it more aggressive and louder...it doesn't change much the tune of the exhaust in terms of pitch or bass.

That is the perfect combo for me: SW off-road headers + Corsa Xpipe + stock mufflers. Haven't installed the headers just yet...I'm planning to do so asap.

So IMHO you should judge what you want by the sound alone as most probably all of them are good quality and all of them will net you roughly the same gains.

PS: Most of the people chose other stuff exactly for the same reason: Sound!

PSS: I wanted also to retaing the cracks and pops the exhaust generates on deceleration and I saw other exhausts kill those perks

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
For the most part SW, Kooks, and ARH will all sound about the same since they have relatively similar primary tube lengths and collector styles. An inch or so tube length difference isn't going to change the pitch much to tell from one brand to the other. They're all great companies that offer top notch products.

AndreiD

converted Ford fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2009 BMW X6 50i, 2012 BMW K1300R
For the most part SW, Kooks, and ARH will all sound about the same since they have relatively similar primary tube lengths and collector styles. An inch or so tube length difference isn't going to change the pitch much to tell from one brand to the other. They're all great companies that offer top notch products.
You may be right...but I swear I can hear different notes. Maybe differents mics dunno but for what it's worth:

[ame]

For example this set-up with kooks headers and and x pipe but with oem muffler sounds beefier than the SW above video.

[ame]

But yes I think the most sound difference is made by the last part of the muffler.

You can clearly hear different tones, once the muffler has been changed:

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Two different cameras, two different angles, two different environments.

I would bet my whole car that if you lined up a GT350 with ARH headers and Kooks headers and SW headers with the same catback system you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a wet fart and a runny milk shake.

SW's demo production value is quite good.
Sponsored