Sponsored

So I think I will need to replace the motor | Currently at the Dealer

GT350/BT55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Conv Pack Avalanche White Stripe
my 2 cents

First off sorry for the problem, nobody needs that. But you are not in Puerto Rico, North Korea, etc., so, first world problem. Hopefully Ford gets you some satisfaction with the motor.

I have a really dumb question, and it has probably been addressed before 1000x and I am about to get flamed - but how does a motor built in 2016 17 even run 6 quarts low without a LOW OIL LIGHT flashing on the dash.

If I am 1/2 qt low in my A5 it just lights up ADD OIL.
Sponsored

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
it doesn't appear that the GT350 engine has an oil level sensor. At least when looking at the oil pan parts list.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
seems idiotic to me. GT350 engine is expensive. Oil level sensor is a very cheap part. Of course, there are those that say they always check their oil, change their own oil, etc. and don't need a safety backup.

OP
OP
Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pack #G5531 Avalanche Grey
It is what it is they built it this way. Regardless these motors are having some issue to burn that much oil in a short period of time hard or regular driving. There is a underlying problem.

Sponsored

GT350/BT55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe its me - but if I take 5 reads on the dipstick, I get 5 different results.
That does not help things.

So, you have a car that burns oil, OK, but you have no sensor, and a dipstick that gives inaccurate results, and is hard to get in and out, hmmmmm.

Good thing they did not design the car with a dipstick in the gas tank. I guess that sensor was deemed needed.

GT350/BT55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also - while I am venting, can you install an aftermarket sensor? You know, red light bad, green light good. I would buy one.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
It is what it is they built it this way. Regardless these motors are having some issue to burn that much oil in a short period of time hard or regular driving. There is a underlying problem.

There is a number of reasons for a car to drop oil. Including a bad oil change. Such as with a previous posting on this thread. I think there should be an oil level monitor. If oil drops fast, but generates an alert, it may be a relatively cheap fix, rather than an expensive fix.

B/Stock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350, 16' 2500 Duramax
Maybe its me - but if I take 5 reads on the dipstick, I get 5 different results.

So, you have a car that burns oil, OK, but you have no sensor, and a dipstick that gives inaccurate results, and is hard to get in and out, hmmmmm.

Good thing they did not design the car with a dipstick in the gas tank. I guess that sensor was deemed needed.
Exactly....

OP
OP
Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
There is a number of reasons for a car to drop oil. Including a bad oil change. Such as with a previous posting on this thread. I think there should be an oil level monitor. If oil drops fast, but generates an alert, it may be a relatively cheap fix, rather than an expensive fix.
Amen

Sponsored

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S 3.8L

I guess as an old fart who drove a lot of '70's, '80's, and '90's cars, I'm just used to cars that use oil... I've owned a lot more cars that did use oil than didn't. So I always check the oil levels in my cars religiously. (read: at least once a month) And I've never had any issues checking the oil level in my GT350 or getting an accurate reading off the dipstick. :shrug:

Yes, my GT350 uses oil. I spend less on 5W50 top-offs between oil changes than my wife spends at her occasional trips to Starbucks, though, so to me it's not a big deal. YMMV. :cheers:

OP
OP
Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
I guess as an old fart who drove a lot of '70's, '80's, and '90's cars, I'm just used to cars that use oil... I've owned a lot more cars that did use oil than didn't. So I always check the oil levels in my cars religiously. (read: at least once a month) And I've never had any issues checking the oil level in my GT350 or getting an accurate reading off the dipstick. :shrug:

Yes, my GT350 uses oil. I spend less on 5W50 top-offs between oil changes than my wife spends at her occasional trips to Starbucks, though, so to me it's not a big deal. YMMV. :cheers:

I spend less on 5W50 top-offs between oil changes than my wife spends at her occasional trips to Starbucks, though, so to me it's not a big deal. YMMV. :cheers:

LMAO ^^

VOODOO 6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350

I'm 43 and I agree with this. Every performance car I've ever owned used oil.... That being said this situation sucks.

OP
OP
Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
I'm 43 and I agree with this. Every performance car I've ever owned used oil.... That being said this situation sucks.
Of course high revving high compression motors always do this.

It is not uncommon for a motor like this to run 1 qt per 1000 miles. Rick Mark our master build architect at the shop has vast knowledge on high performance motors and thats the first thing he even said.

however in this case this motor is burning at a very weird rate beyond normal.