Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pack #G5531 Avalanche Grey
Whats up Ladies and Gents, as many of you know I own a 2016 AG GT350 Tech pack. Being its my baby I like to well baby her but I drive her as well as some of the local members here have seen.

Recently had the paperwork come in for the oil line recall so was prepping to have that done. Last thursday after a drive to the local Sonic for some burgers after work I felt the vehicle acting up very violently and beyond what normal vibrations are. Heard a bad lifter style sound so we eased her home and put her to sleep. This Saturday I scheduled for the recall work to be done and when I was observing oil there was nothing on the stick and what looked to be metallic flakes all over it :frusty:

Called the dealer back they had me limp it over to them to check it out and they observed the car was down 6 quarts. Yes you heard me right I said 6 quarts.

Now she has 4k miles since the last change here at the shop all checked out and such by me personally and oil was checked last month, but jesus 6 quarts. So they rushed me in this morning to get to work and so far here is what they have seen.

Oil line has some leaks but they have stated not enough for 6 quarts to go away like that.

When they were removing the oil they observed metal flakes and pieces coming out. :(

car is currently at the dealer having the new parts installed then they will refill and top fluids off turn the motor over for 30 minutes or so then empty the oil out to observe further material passing through. If so they will tear apart the motor to determine cause and replacement of the motor as a whole.

I have a feeling piston rings are fried and it shot oil out the back. Which caused the oil level to drop thus causing metal to metal contact thus causing me to have to have heart palpitations today.

Ill keep yall posted.

Paul A.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)

PencilGeek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R HR278, 2008 BMW M3
There's one very important step missing from the description, and I hope the dealer knows to do this. Once there's metal shaving in the oil, it's also in the oil lines, oil cooler, and everywhere else. At the very least, the oil lines and cooler need to be removed, flushed and cleaned before installing new oil in the engine. If this is not done, then any contaminants already in the oil lines and oil cooler are going to contaminate the new oil -- and the vicious cycle will continue. I would also want them to flush the block, but this isn't going to be easy without disassembling the engine, or getting it almost disassembled. While they're in there...they can see if there's any damage to rod bearings, main bearings, rings, etc.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
Sucks! New motor for sure. What the hell? How many motors are we up to on this forum now?
Lost count

There's one very important step missing from the description, and I hope the dealer knows to do this. Once there's metal shaving in the oil, it's also in the oil lines, oil cooler, and everywhere else. At the very least, the oil lines and cooler need to be removed, flushed and cleaned before installing new oil in the engine. If this is not done, then any contaminants already in the oil lines and oil cooler are going to contaminate the new oil -- and the vicious cycle will continue. I would also want them to flush the block, but this isn't going to be easy without disassembling the engine, or getting it almost disassembled. While they're in there...they can see if there's any damage to rod bearings, main bearings, rings, etc.
No if thats the case I wont have them rebuild it they will swap it to a all new motor completely new.

And they can give me the old one ill rebuild it with twin 68 mm turbos from my own kit im building and make that into a 1500 hp motor :D

Maybe something good will come out of this.

KiLLeR2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 240SX, '17 GT350
How did the oil filter look? Was there any noticeable oil coming from the oil filter adapter, any oil collecting in the belly pan? My bet is you were probably leaking from the lines and the oil filter, a little bit at a time. That combined with the oil consumption of these motors probably did it in. I've made it a habit of checking my oil level every week now. I also check my garage floor for any oil drips every time I leave.

Best of luck to you Paul. Keep us updated.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
Sorry to hear, that obviously sucks. I am one of the unfortunate many here that knows your pain. Hopefully they get you on the road again soon. It sounds like the replacement time has come way down from when my 16 tech pack engine was replaced.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
Blows man. Good luck with getting it fixed.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I wonder if it's too late to get an extended warranty

Sponsored
OP
OP
Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
How did the oil filter look? Was there any noticeable oil coming from the oil filter adapter, any oil collecting in the belly pan? My bet is you were probably leaking from the lines and the oil filter, a little bit at a time. That combined with the oil consumption of these motors probably did it in. I've made it a habit of checking my oil level every week now. I also check my garage floor for any oil drips every time I leave.

Best of luck to you Paul. Keep us updated.
No leak from the filter from the techs word just the oil line but not enough to cause a massive leak like this. Plus no oil spots in my driveway of my house or my shop where I park it.

Sorry to hear, that obviously sucks. I am one of the unfortunate many here that knows your pain. Hopefully they get you on the road again soon. It sounds like the replacement time has come way down from when my 16 tech pack engine was replaced.
Well see, they did a flush didnt notice anymore debri but their keeping the car overnight to call Ford and see what they have to do to proceed.

I dont believe Ill accept the car back without a new motor because once it has shavings in it its pretty much done IMO.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
This sucks. I hope this gets resolved timely for u Paul. Best of luck man.

OP
OP
Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
Sorry to hear about your ordeal Paul, sucks to say the least. Where did all that oil go then ? :shrug:

OP
OP
Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
Sorry to hear about your ordeal Paul, sucks to say the least. Where did all that oil go then ? :shrug:
Trolls or goblins I presume, its a unsolved mystery :(
Sponsored