Sponsored

Clutch spring removal? Am I the only one that it's not easy for?

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
I pushed my clutch all the way in and I could slide the bottom part the clutch spring off. Took. 5mim, if that
Sponsored

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
I pushed my clutch all the way in and I could slide the bottom part the clutch spring off. Took. 5mim, if that
Yeah. I wish I had known this when doing mine initially. There's no need to use any tools -- that's only going to make it more complicated and cause frustration for people like me. For you guys that are suggesting using vice grips and stuff, have you tried just simply pushing in the clutch and sliding it out? Does it just not work that easy for some people? I don't really understand why tools are suggested in the first place unless it's just not that easy to slide out for everyone.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
Yeah. I wish I had known this when doing mine initially. There's no need to use any tools -- that's only going to make it more complicated and cause frustration for people like me. For you guys that are suggesting using vice grips and stuff, have you tried just simply pushing in the clutch and sliding it out? Does it just not work that easy for some people? I don't really understand why tools are suggested in the first place unless it's just not that easy to slide out for everyone.
In such an awkward position in the first place, I could barely get any leverage on the spring, even when the pedal was depressed. I also didn't know how much preload was on the spring, and how much energy I was about to release in front of my face.

Experience says you don't want uncontrolled release of a loaded spring.

Grabber By The Bluesy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue Mustang GT Premium
I just pulled mine out, took less then a minute with some grunting!

Question is, Steeda spring aside, whats the longest anyone has gone without one in and has there been any problems? I chipped a small piece of the side of the plastic top portion but it looks like its still usable in case I do get the Steeda spring.

Sponsored

jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
15 Gt PP Roush SC'ed/16 GT 350 TrackPack 1970 Mach1

Question is, Steeda spring aside, whats the longest anyone has gone without one in and has there been any problems? I chipped a small piece of the side of the plastic top portion but it looks like its still usable in case I do get the Steeda spring.
My supercharged 15 GT/PP has been with out spring sense Nov of 14, 12k miles and my 16 350 has been out sense June of 16 only about 3200 miles. No issues. I tried the Steeda but the clutch still just felt numb to me.

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RubyRed GT M6 Premium

Had mine without a spring for a about a year and at first l liked it, but after awhile the pedal developed a bad judder (shaking/vibration) upon drive-off in first gear. Since l didn't want to go back to the stock spring l installed the Steeda spring and problem solved. To me the Steeda spring hits the sweet spot in feel between "no spring" and the "stock spring".:cheers:

MattW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 LB GT w/ PP
I used vice grips to minimize the possibility of breaking the plastic end-pieces. Also, used the clutch petal depress tool:
clutchpetalholder.jpg

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I pushed the clutch all the way in and used a screw driver to pry it out. Was pretty simple.

I'm amazed at the difference in clutch feel now.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

I went for about 25,000 miles with no spring. No issues, but I didn't like that little bit of slop at the top of the pedal and I can launch more smoothly and consistently with the Steeda spring, and it's better for daily driving to boot.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
I broke the brown spring perch when I did mine.

Had a hell of a time getting another. A kind soul here sent me one. Now Steeda sells the whole assembly if I am not mistaken.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, we sell the entire assembly - much cheaper than buying the entire kit from a dealer.

Best Regards,

TJ

Crossroads

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP FRPP2
I pushed the clutch all the way in and used a screw driver to pry it out. Was pretty simple.

I'm amazed at the difference in clutch feel now.
Same here. A flathead between clutch spring and the clutch pedal shaft and slide to the right.

Carfanatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Make sure clutch is compressed when you slide it to the left. Less chance of breaking plastic perch.
Sponsored