Sponsored

Clutch spring removal? Am I the only one that it's not easy for?

jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
15 Gt PP Roush SC'ed/16 GT 350 TrackPack 1970 Mach1
exactly just reach down with your left hand a depress the clutch and with your right hand just pull it to the side toward brake pedal. Now I've never put one back in, I prefer no spring at all. And yes the 350 has an inner spring as well.
Here's the 350
IMG_3565.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Tell me how u like it [MENTION=17459]altjx[/MENTION] i may just do it on my car after ur review.
Been a couple days now and man I love it. Well worth it. I can't imagine driving with the stock bring compared to this now, and probably wouldn't go without a spring either.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
It wasn't easy for me because I have issues with my wrists and hands here lately for grip. I did get it out but ended up breaking the little clip/white piece.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
On a GT it was a touch heavy without any spring, but still like an 7 (1-10 scale) vs. a 1 for the OEM spring.

With the Steeda spring, the effort, takeup, everything is just about perfect, call it a 9.5 :D

jonesd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt350
Finally figured it out using another method. Those videos just show people gripping the spring and pulling out. I just simply pushed the bottom part of the clutch spring over to the right and the thing came out easily. Didn't even need pliers for it. Not sure why this isn't shown anywhere lol
Thanks for this tip. I tried removing mine with pliers like i saw on the videos but i had a hell of a time. People kept saying it was easy with vice grips but i couldn't even find a pair to fit lol.

This weekend i will try removing it with just my hands.

Sponsored

Joebroni

Frac E-Tech
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP 50th
I can vouch for that method as well. I took mine out last week, and I just pulled the lower portion out towards the brake pedal. It popped off and took me all of 5 seconds to remove. I've got a Steeda spring coming and that might take me a bit longer to put it back in though lol.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I think I am pretty used to the spring. I don't find the clutch pedal to be hard to use.
I mean a bit numb but so is the steering wheel.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
I have a relatively broad shoulders. Getting under there to even see what I was doing nearly put me in the hospital. I need to find a mechanically inclined friend that is 5'6". All of my friends are either tall or can't figure out how to start a drill.

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
It was pretty easy when I swapped out mine. Use your left arm to push down the clutch and use your right hand to use a vice grip to compress the spring (I used 2 vice grips to even out the tension), twist it a quarter turn and pull it out. It took me no more than 5 minutes. No damage to the perch either.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
I held the clutch with my right hand and used Channel Lock (R) pliers with my left to compress the spring by the perches, and remove it from its seat.

The Steeda spring was light enough to do by hand.

Sponsored

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Collapse the spring with needle nose vise grips and lock that sucker where it won't slip off because the spring is a lot of stored energy. That makes it easy to get out. Push the clutch in and lift the spring assy out. Takes a minute or two. Some ppl break the plastic piece but that is totally unnecessary if done right.

Carfanatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Anyone know the part number on the plastic top piece? Mine cracked when I took it out to put in the steeda spring.

MattW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 LB GT w/ PP
If you break the plastic part, I think you may want to replace it with the Steeda assembly: it is like $80. The Ford replacement is the entire assembly at >$100.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase