Sponsored

Steeda Tri-Ax Street shifter

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Thanks for the tips! I will be calling Steeda to discuss this. I was hoping it would "break-in" but it is still sticking sometimes, which sucks because when I back out of my drive then go to first, it'll occasionally go back into reverse without lifting the lockout! Yikes! Good thing I pay attention to the camera coming on.

I was VERY careful putting the collar on, because it was a huge PITA with those o-rings. I made sure to get them on without the o-rings rolling, which took forever. But it has been sticky since the get go, so maybe I just need new o-rings. Maybe I stretched them when I first put them on, I don't know.

Yes, I did use Loctite on the knob, since I have an aftermarket knob that requires it to keep the knob in place. What funny is the first time I had that knob on my old shifter, it ended up breaking loose and moving some, so this time I put a lot more Loctite on. I will check that out for sure! Sucks though because even with putting more Loctite on, my knob still loosened up and it has only been a couple of weeks. :(
Try putting the production knob on and see if it corrects the problem. Or remove the knob and see if the collar moves freely.

I will be in the office Monday afternoon if not resolved to help you.

Mike D @ 954-960-0774
Sponsored

jgedde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP, M6, Triple Yellow
Try putting the production knob on and see if it corrects the problem. Or remove the knob and see if the collar moves freely.

I will be in the office Monday afternoon if not resolved to help you.

Mike D @ 954-960-0774
You need to lubricate the o-rings and the sliding part. Prevents the o_rings from rolling and allows the slide to move freely. Superlube good for this.

John

OP
OP

RIK60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt TY
I have one of the GT-350 Knobs and what I did was get a small piece of heater hose and pushed that into the knob. That puts some push when you thread it down so it's not so loose and tightens it up. the thing with reverse is still happening to me occasionally and it can be really irritating. Yesterday I went to go into first and my backup camera came on. I hope it's not a design issue. when I have time I'm going to take it back apart from inside the car and video each step including the reverse issue and send it to Steeda. otherwise I really like the shifter. I even put the Steeda Billet lockout adapter on which moves more freely than the plastic factory one but it still happens occasionally. something I did notice if I pull down on the lockout adapter before going to first it never happens. it's almost like the sleeve does not drop all the way.
Good Luck, let me know how it turns out.

GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible
Yeah so I talked to Mike today, thanks for callling! He gave me some tips. I don't have a good stock shift knob anymore, since mine got the threads stripped when going back and fourth with the old model Steeda shifter. Regardless, I don't think it is the knob, as it still has issues with the knob removed.

I just dug into it this morning, and these o-rings a huge PITA! If I wipe all the lube off, it is too tight, if I put too much, it builds up too much. Regardless, I think either my o-rings are stretched and need replaced, or this is just a design flaw. I tried just a little lubricant like Mike said, and that made it worse. I have videos I will post to show later on. If I put a medium amount of grease on, it works the best, but still doesn't retract all the way when you let go. The issue I had with the first install was that it seemed to move okay before I put the boot/collar back on, but after I put the collar on it would start to bind more. I was hoping it would work its way loose but it didn't.

I haven't put the console back in yet today, as I have a 2nd issue that I am trying to figure out which is way worse than this one....my car is intermittently locking me out of 1st and 2nd! I think something underneath got loose or something. Just started the other day so not sure if something broke or what.....

GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible
You need to lubricate the o-rings and the sliding part. Prevents the o_rings from rolling and allows the slide to move freely. Superlube good for this.

John
I'm using some lithium grease I had now, as it is a little lighter than the suspension lube that Steeda supplies. The problem is if you over lube the o-rings will roll easier, at least that's what happened to me.

Sponsored

GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible
Just an update from my end. I got extremely frustrated with both the locking me out of gear and the reverse collar not retracting all the way, that I decided to just put everything back to stock. I figured it was something internal to the transmission, so if I had to take to the dealer I'd want it back to stock so they don't try and blame the aftermarket parts. Regardless, putting it back to stock had fixed the locking me out of 1st and 2nd gear issue and of course the reverse collar works as it did from the factory.

It's disappointing, because I loved the Steeda shifter feel (along with the bracket). There is so much play in that factory shifter it's ridiculous! I can't say there is anything wrong with the Steeda lever for sure....the only thing I can think of is that something was out of whack in the linkage (which is impossible to see without dropping the transmission), and somehow by dropping the shifter base to put it back to stock maybe knocked out some debris or something? I don't know if I will ever feel like trying to put the Steeda shifter back in, since it is a PITA to do....I might just go with a full-blown shifter later on...I dunno. Aftermarket stuff is getting on my nerves these days!

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Damn, why did this subject have to enter my radar after ordering my Tri-Ax. Now my sleepless nights waiting are going to be filled with images of cock-eyed o-rings. Please let it be an assembly issue.

So on the subject of grease. I was always taught to use silicone grease when dealing with rubber parts. Not sure if lithium grease is okay??, but have heard petroleum based ones will make the rubber break down. Anyone care to comment on that. Steeda what do you recommend if we are in a pinch and need to use something in our garage?

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the tips! I will be calling Steeda to discuss this. I was hoping it would "break-in" but it is still sticking sometimes, which sucks because when I back out of my drive then go to first, it'll occasionally go back into reverse without lifting the lockout! Yikes! Good thing I pay attention to the camera coming on.

I was VERY careful putting the collar on, because it was a huge PITA with those o-rings. I made sure to get them on without the o-rings rolling, which took forever. But it has been sticky since the get go, so maybe I just need new o-rings. Maybe I stretched them when I first put them on, I don't know.

Yes, I did use Loctite on the knob, since I have an aftermarket knob that requires it to keep the knob in place. What funny is the first time I had that knob on my old shifter, it ended up breaking loose and moving some, so this time I put a lot more Loctite on. I will check that out for sure! Sucks though because even with putting more Loctite on, my knob still loosened up and it has only been a couple of weeks. :(
Yes, please call us & send me your contact info & order number so I can help prepare for your call on Monday.

Best Regards,

TJ

Boggus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT PP
Almost feel the same way on the shifter, it's great for taking the side to side slop out but overall gear changes seem about the same. I have developed a slight rattle when I accelerate , readjusted the collar and most of that went away. Not sure how it even developed since it was not there until yesterday. It's still notchy going gear to gear, sometimes worse than other times.

I don't feel it's a Steeda issue on the notchyness rather the remaining parts of the shifting mechanism not replaced. Maybe I'm just old and can't shift anymore!

Only thing I really dislike about this car is the entire drivetrain. From shifter to clutch pedal, it's just ruins the beauty of the car.

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RubyRed GT M6 Premium
Damn, why did this subject have to enter my radar after ordering my Tri-Ax. Now my sleepless nights waiting are going to be filled with images of cock-eyed o-rings. Please let it be an assembly issue.

So on the subject of grease. I was always taught to use silicone grease when dealing with rubber parts. Not sure if lithium grease is okay??, but have heard petroleum based ones will make the rubber break down. Anyone care to comment on that. Steeda what do you recommend if we are in a pinch and need to use something in our garage?
Super Lube...good stuff, probably not in your garage though.

Sponsored

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750

You are correct silicone grease should only be used. Petroleum based grease will cause the O-Rings to swell. The few issues have been installation errors.

Mike D

GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible
Yes, please call us & send me your contact info & order number so I can help prepare for your call on Monday.

Best Regards,

TJ
Hi TJ,

Here are some videos showing my issues for reference. I'll give you a call here shortly but wanted you to have the links :)

Intially trying with just a little grease on the o-rings:
http://www.youtube.com/embed/PLxgfqYhIxk

Then trying with a little more grease; I'd say "medium" application:
http://www.youtube.com/embed/jC-9PeBjVI0

Medium grease with the boot on. The boot makes it worse as it seems to cause a suction effect and you can hear the air trapping under it:
http://www.youtube.com/embed/1XrzCAyG2g0

Once the collar is on, the issue gets even worse:
http://www.youtube.com/embed/xqW-YtTDaeg

Here's a video showing the intermittent issue getting into 1st and 2nd. It will go through the gears fine for a while, then all of the sudden have issues. When swapping and adjusting the rear bracket (with both Steeda and factory one) at one point I couldn't get it to go into 2nd at all. Finally went back to stock and all is well and smooth. Actually shifts much smoother than the Steeda, though the throw is much longer of course. :frusty:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/yRvZajqZG3Q

GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible
You are correct silicone grease should only be used. Petroleum based grease will cause the O-Rings to swell. The few issues have been installation errors.

Mike D
So Lithium grease is technically petroleum based. Maybe that's my issue? I only started using it for this exercise. Before I had the grease you guys supplied with the shifter on it, which is very thick. I still had the collar sticking issue. I also used the same grease you supplied in the moving joints of the lever when installing it. Seems to move fine, so I don't think that is my issue of locking me out of 1st and 2nd gear.

Maybe I just need new O-rings for the collar issue, but I still can't explain the 1st/2nd lockout issue. I won't install the shifter back until I can get some confidence in this! :(

Boggus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT PP
Ditto on the intermittent first/second gear difficulty. Now I have the complete replacement shifter (Tri-Ax) and not just the replacement part.

Sometimes goes in first smooth, other times kinda crunchy and other times really difficult.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Ditto on the intermittent first/second gear difficulty. Now I have the complete replacement shifter (Tri-Ax) and not just the replacement part.

Sometimes goes in first smooth, other times kinda crunchy and other times really difficult.
Boggus, I believe our internal team called you & left a VM today ... if not, we have your updated contact info.

Best Regards,

TJ
Sponsored