Enough with the size thing already

Maoilearca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 GT Auto Coupe (Guard). FP PP2
So Clarkson says the Mustang is 'ginormous' for the UK.

Can't we nail this one shut once and for all? The Mustang is large, for a GT/sports car, but not unique and certainly not ill-fitted for UK roads when compared with many others.

So - the Mustang: Width (inc mirrors) 2080mm. But then, the Mercedes SL is 2099mm. The BMW 6 coupe is 2090mm. Etc. Both GTs.

I won't even bother with the exotic sports cars from Italy for width, but, if it is simply a case of what is suitable for UK roads, then going by the criteria of Clarkson et al, nobody should drive a SUV (which is true, IMO, but not on account of size!). For example, a smaller SUV, like the Jaguar F-Pace, is 2175mm wide. A BMW X3 is 2184mm wide. And so on.

I thank you

John
Sponsored

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
It's like when journalists bring in the size of the bonnet as a negative. It's a bit like saying the access and egress is a bit tricky for taking a 90 year old relative to Aldi or that the V8 has too many cylinders.

At work our car parking spaces haven't been re-marked since 1968, and the spots can be a bit tight depending on how thoughtful/skillful your 'neighbour' is. Many of my colleagues ask how I'm gonna get on parking there. Well, pretty much the same as I manage currently with a similarly sized family saloon.

Actual

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0 V8 GT Auto Fastback Black
Spot on. It is both shorter and narrower than a Mondeo estate.
I do struggle with the Mustang size. Mondeo with mirrors is wider but the Mustang body is 3" wider than the Mondeo. The long hood and low driver position makes the Mustang harder to manoeuvre in tight situations. The long coupe doors make it difficult to enter and exit the Mustang.

Mustang length 4784mm (15'8")
Mustang width with Mirrors 2080mm (6'10")
Mustang width with folded Mirrors 1956mm (6'6")
Mustang width not inc Mirrors 1916mm (6'3")
Mustang turning circle 12m

Mondeo length 4871mm (16'0")
Mondeo width with Mirrors 2121mm (7'0")
Mondeo width with folded Mirrors 1911mm (6'3")
Mondeo width not inc Mirrors 1852mm (6'1")
Mondeo turning circle 11.5m

RSPcooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt. Mini 30. Q5
Try driving a jag XJS if you think the Stang bonnet is long. Dont feel intimidated following average cars through normal gaps think its just a perception thing.

Sponsored

deep south

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB auto convertible & Citroen C3
It is within an inch to my Citroen C5, so I have no problems at all.....!

Actual

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0 V8 GT Auto Fastback Black
Try driving a jag XJS if you think the Stang bonnet is long. Dont feel intimidated following average cars through normal gaps think its just a perception thing.
I have to be careful because there are a couple of places near me with width restrictions which I wouldn't normally have to worry about in my Focus but they are too tight for the Mustang.

The Mustang width is 2080mm (6' 10") including mirrors. The Focus width is 2010mm (6' 7") including mirrors

The Reading Gate retail park has a back entrance and the width is restricted to 2.1m (6' 10") which is exactly the width of the Mustang and I'm not planning on testing this.

Woodlands Lane - Windlesham is a good cut through and has a restricted width bridge over the M3 motorway marked 2.0m (6' 6") which is one inch too narrow for the Focus but I have driven though and if I'm in the Focus and I stop between the barrier posts and check the clearance of the mirrors then it only about an inch either side so it would be too tight for the Mustang.

Also note that motorway roadworks often have a width restriction on lane 3 of 2.0m (6' 6") so the Mustang is too wide for lane 3 (and so is the Focus).

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16
Anybody been over Hammersmith Bridge in a Mustang S550 yet?

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Can't wait until I have to drive into the Intu car park in Derby, holy fk is that tight even in my corsa! Sharp turns and windy ramps with high kerbs, no fun at, all! Would probably take me 20 mins to do in the Mustang lol!

StarWarsJez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Merc C240
Can't wait until I have to drive into the Intu car park in Derby, holy fk is that tight even in my corsa! Sharp turns and windy ramps with high kerbs, no fun at, all! Would probably take me 20 mins to do in the Mustang lol!
Mate, I'm already thinking where I'm going to park when in Nottingham - as I just don't want the stress of the Lace Market multi-story!

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Mate, I'm already thinking where I'm going to park when in Nottingham - as I just don't want the stress of the Lace Market multi-story!
Annoying aint it, i'm rarely in derby, it's only when i take the missus out of her cage, ahem, sorry home, to see a movie or something do we go there.... :thumbsup:.

Side of the road i fear too!

StarWarsJez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Merc C240
Annoying aint it, i'm rarely in derby, it's only when i take the missus out of her cage, ahem, sorry home, to see a movie or something do we go there.... :thumbsup:.

Side of the road i fear too!
I'm going to be one of those guys who parks it in the far far corner of the parking lot.....(less likely to get scratched but more likely to get nicked!)

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I'm going to be one of those guys who parks it in the far far corner of the parking lot.....(less likely to get scratched but more likely to get nicked!)
Lol I'll be the same. I already know where it's being parked at train stations etc haha!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
I've got a blue badge, so at least I get the opportunity to park in bigger spaces (when available)...... Can't wait for the comments when they see a crip dragging himself out of a Mustang GT:rant::rant:

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16
I've got a blue badge, so at least I get the opportunity to park in bigger spaces (when available)...... Can't wait for the comments when they see a crip dragging himself out of a Mustang GT:rant::rant:
Brilliant :lol:
Sponsored