Sponsored

Mishimoto Catch Can Installed - Review and installed pictures

smdandb2

ManBearPig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Corolla SE
I finally got around to installing my Mishimoto baffled catch can this weekend. I figured I should get it done before I go in for shoulder surgery this week and can't drive the Mustang for a while (or wrench on it for that matter).

I'm rather impressed with the kit. I was not expecting how substantial the catch can itself feels in your hand. In a bar fight, you could do some damage with it. Everything came in the kit as expected, and it all is very high quality. I love the fact that it is all black, and could almost pass for an OEM piece. My only wish is that the can itself had factory style connectors on it. The silver hoseclamps are a dead giveaway that it is not an OEM piece. Certainly not a deal breaker though.

So I watched all the videos online, and I knew going into it that the bottom hose could put up a fight. So I took the engine cover off and hoped for the best...

I busted the top clip. I just could not get it to release all the way after many attempts, and my fat hands were working against me the entire time. I eventually got it off, now it was time to move to the bottom one.

I tried the approach of a long screwdriver and getting it from the top, but I couldn't even find where the hose connected from the top side. I just could not twist my hand and arm in a way that would give me access to the hose. Did I mention I have fat hands and arms?

So up in the air she went. Once I was on my back under the car, I was able to at least FIND the connection. Now, the next battle was getting it off without breaking everything all to hell. Again, my fluffy stature was working against me. I could only get my left arm up there and just kept finagling the clip. I could get one side to pop off, and the second I touched the other side the first one would snap back into place. After a few strings of colorful words smashed together, I got an idea. I went back to my workbench and started going thru all my bins of miscellaneous hardware, and found 2 small screws. My idea was to "screw" them under the plastic clip ends to hold them in place... and I'll be damned... it worked!

Now that I had that hose off, it was time to install the Mishimoto hoses. The green clips on their hoses were self explanatory on how they worked. I routed the hoses to match the molded curves, and snapped the clips into place.

The rest of the install was really simple and straight forward. 10 minutes after I had that bottom connection off, I had the entire catch can assembly installed and buttoned up.

I put about 100 miles on the car this weekend, and no check engine light. So I have to assume I installed it correctly! :)

A few final installed pictures for those who care to see them.

Sponsored

Nihil

Cowabunga
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Grey Goop
I managed it install it from up top without using screws after I learned you just press down hard on the big white part of connector and you can remove them. I removed the air box and you slide your arm under the intake manifold and the radiator hose coming off the reservoir, my arm was between that hose and the motor mount and I could grab the connector with that hand and disconnect it. I couldn't get it from underneath.

WatchSquid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
93 Reef Blue Mustang convertible
Good write up Justin. I need to get busy and put mine on.

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
First Name
Sales
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Base w/ Performance Package
Looking good! This is the one we have been selling a good amount of because ours is not out yet and was delayed a hair! Good stuff! I believe Stormtrooper here on the forums got his installed as well that he bought from us!

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT
Great install! Interesting technique with the screws as well. As noted by Nihil, pressing on the white center part should release this clip.

Enjoy the kit! Let us know what kind of accumulation you have after a few hundred miles.

Thanks
-John

Sponsored

OP
OP
smdandb2

smdandb2

ManBearPig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Corolla SE
I managed it install it from up top without using screws after I learned you just press down hard on the big white part of connector and you can remove them. I removed the air box and you slide your arm under the intake manifold and the radiator hose coming off the reservoir, my arm was between that hose and the motor mount and I could grab the connector with that hand and disconnect it. I couldn't get it from underneath.
I have really big arms, and a bum shoulder. I thought about taking the airbox out, but I don't think it would have helped me. It's a tricky connection regardless of how you get to it.

Great install! Interesting technique with the screws as well. As noted by Nihil, pressing on the white center part should release this clip.

Enjoy the kit! Let us know what kind of accumulation you have after a few hundred miles.

Thanks
-John
Yeah, I could not exert enough force on the white to get it to release. I think I still have the dents on my fingers from trying. I just have too much cushion for the pushin. I tried to get something solid on the top that I could push, but I had a wiring harness that was pretty much sitting right on top of it that I could not get to stay out of the way.

I'm glad that multiple people have multiple ways of getting that connector off. It makes it easier for people doing this in the future to find the method that works for them.

Nihil

Cowabunga
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Grey Goop
that's a damn good pics btw. feel like am standing right by the car they so detailed

e30og

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport
thanks for the tips! gonna get on it soon

SloS14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Premium
Mine's been sitting in a box in the garage forever. I need to get around to installing. Thanks for the tips.

Sponsored

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
Great idea with the screws. I gave up trying to out-smart that bottom clip and just over powered it with a long flat blade screwdriver, basically destroying it!

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
I just checked mine after 2000 miles. I got about 2-3 ml. of gassy, oily, really foul smelling stuff out of mine.

stormtrooper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chance
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
It took me a total of 10mins to uninstall old hoses and install the catch can. Because i had a lil practice with Wireless's car. Lol. I think i have around 600 to 700 miles on it now. Will probably check it at 1k

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT
I just checked mine after 2000 miles. I got about 2-3 ml. of gassy, oily, really foul smelling stuff out of mine.
Seems to be a bit less than what we saw with around 1/4 of the mileage. Let us know what you end up with at the next interval. :thumbsup:

It took me a total of 10mins to uninstall old hoses and install the catch can. Because i had a lil practice with Wireless's car. Lol. I think i have around 600 to 700 miles on it now. Will probably check it at 1k
Fantastic! Looking forward to your findings. :cheers:
Sponsored