MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Grille delete is the way to go. Looks really good and helps with airflow. We have always done these grille deletes to all of our shop cars and we're located in South Florida, so it is almost just as hot and humid as where you're located.
Nice. Thanks for the info and the photo. I'm getting ready to install some Velossa ducts, and will be doing _something_ to the OEM upper grill, just not sure if I want to go totally open (like the car in the photo), or do some kind of mesh just in the center section (definitely leaving the corners open with the new ducts). I'm up in St. Augustine, so another high heat, escalating IAT location, and most of my driving is around town between 25-45MPH ...

I hit a small bird a few months ago at 55 mph and very little made it through. Did have to clean my grille a bit.
OK, am I terrible person that this made me laugh out loud ... :lol:
Sponsored

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red GT W/PP, 401a
Vehicle Showcase
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62609&page=11

For those that asked. I DID NOT do this mod myself. Guy I bought the CAI from called Wildfire did. The info is in that thread on what he did. Basically added some plastic to the side of the CAI box to bring it level with the hood so it would seal against the hood insulation.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Personally I don't like the looks of a grill delete. I also feel that all that added airflow will do no-so-good things at speed, hood flutter, lifting the front end, etc., etc. Big intake tubes (100+mm) IMO moves that MAF closer to the radiator, resulting in heat soak and false IAT's. I thermo wrapped my intake tube, also covering the MAF. Helped alot. Idling in traffic on a hot summer day the IAT's are up there, but as soon as the car gets moving temps drop to within 10*c of ambient. Some modeling clay on top of the rubber seals seems to confirm a seal with the hood when closed. This is with a JLT.

OP
OP

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
it does look like an open grill can create a parachute effect at speed.

it would be better if the front grill could be swapped quickly and easily to account for geography, season, and what the car will be doing.

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
Ford as well as other manufacturers do a lot of testing in Arizona and Nevada during extreme temps to check for cooling issues and etc. Cooling is not a problem with these cars.

Sponsored

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
Ford as well as other manufacturers do a lot of testing in Arizona and Nevada during extreme temps to check for cooling issues and etc. Cooling is not a problem with these cars.
Pretty much this. IMO there is plenty of air getting under the hood. However the "problem" is all that air can't make it out of our tiny little heat extractors, causing our hoods to start doing the salsa :lol:

If you want to improve cooling, then get a new hood or add larger extractors. From what I can tell the only drop in ones (steeda) don't really add any benefit to this issue and imo look like ass. Sorry steeda:cheers:

I really like the old GT500 style and GT350 heat extraction. After that then maybe open up the grill a little more. I agree the open grill look is BA

DrDane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT A6 400A 3.55
I looked around a lot and thought about it a bit before pulling the trigger myself, but I found these "custom car grills",
https://www.customcargrills.com/Custom-Ford-Grills.asp
you basically use a cutoff wheel/dremel and cut off your stock honeycomb then glue honeycomb onto the back. It looks awesome like it should have from the factory IMO, doesn't have me worried about a rock/bird knocking out my radiator or intercooler. My IAT is within 1-2 on the road, perhaps 3-4 if in traffic despite it always being warm in south texas. Hood flutter honestly doesn't seem worse than stock, its most noticeable when my BOV is dumping, but not significantly worse at triple digit speeds than it was prior IMO. Honestly only thing I might have done different is spent the few bucks more for a preassembled one and enjoyed the car for the extra day.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Opening up the octagons helped a ton with IAT's

Pacheco_S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GTPP
My buddy and I just did a grille delete yesterday. Definitely helps with lowering temps and adds an aggressive look. I would've painted the radiator black though....
IMG_4122.JPG

808muscle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Whipple, 2006 GT Blown and cammed

Sponsored

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang, '17 Mustang, '18 F150, '23 Mustang GT
Using a router, I opened up all of the honeycombs both upper and lower. Before putting the front bumper cover back on, I also placed some washers on the upper mounting posts of the radiator support to get the front cover just above the height of the leading edge of the hood.

Not only do I now have less hood flutter, my IAT temps are about 2* cooler at highway speeds. Most importantly, however, are how much more quickly those temps come back down once moving. Subtle, yet nice looking mod in my opinion as well.
Grill mod.jpg

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Using a router, I opened up all of the honeycombs both upper and lower. Before putting the front bumper cover back on, I also placed some washers on the upper mounting posts of the radiator support to get the front cover just above the height of the leading edge of the hood.

Not only do I now have less hood flutter, my IAT temps are about 2* cooler at highway speeds. Most importantly, however, are how much more quickly those temps come back down once moving. Subtle, yet nice looking mod in my opinion as well.
Nicely done, holy hell, that must've taken some time (and patience).

stevnoof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt base manual 3.31
That Looks way better than a delete. I have the gt350 intake and today it was 92 outside the iat were steady at 98 cruising on the highway.

bigjohns97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT 401a M6 RR

Can you post pic of your washer mod?

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang, '17 Mustang, '18 F150, '23 Mustang GT
Nicely done, holy hell, that must've taken some time (and patience).
Thanks! Really it didn't take that long with the router using a 1" bit. However, it was really messy as there are small plastic shavings flying everywhere!
Sponsored