Sponsored

Cold air intake

1stmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6 Mustang fastback
Have you actually seen readings that they keep the inlet air temp cooler or is it just about getting more airflow?
Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
The CAI's on the market definitely do not reduce IAT's when compared to stock. Their names are a throwback to times when the factory intakes pulled air from the engine compartment. The GT350 has an open air filter element so perhaps sealing it off a little better would reduce IAT's when the vehicle is not moving, but once on the road the effects are negligible.

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
The CAI's on the market definitely do not reduce IAT's when compared to stock. Their names are a throwback to times when the factory intakes pulled air from the engine compartment. The GT350 has an open air filter element so perhaps sealing it off a little better would reduce IAT's when the vehicle is not moving, but once on the road the effects are negligible.
Correct. I think it is interesting that the lowest IAT I've ever seen on my Shelby with either the factory intake or the JLT is about 10 degrees above ambient. On my '13 Boss the IAT at cruise with C&L intake was actually 1 degree lower than the car's ambient temp reading. I'm not sure how that is possible; if it had to do with sensor placement or what.

I did compare the restriction of the factory Shelby intake to that of the JLT using a water column manometer. It's been a long time since I did it but I found the factory piece modestly more restrictive. I think about 8" of water more which equated to 6-8 hp. The factory Boss intake, BTW, was much more restrictive.
Sponsored