Sponsored

Post your shifter setup!!

Relak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350 - Oxford White
I have switched shift knobs like a woman changes shoes, since I purchased this car. I know I'll never go back to having anything but a manual transmission. After two shift knobs, I decided to spend some extra dough and throw on a Ford Performance Short Throw Shift Kit. The difference is indescribable. Now what else but to finish it off with a custom Raceseng weighted shift knob!

Here's the Short Throw Kit with the OEM shift knob:
35427390151_806fa4e107.jpg
35427390081_c62acd7b2e.jpg

and here's my current setup:
Raceseng - Ashiko Big Bore - Translucent Blue on Ford Performance GT350 Short Throw Shifter -

35170860120_9fd1ce0271_c.jpg

35170860040_783dd9b95b_c.jpg

35427390041_b2b1389755_c.jpg

Now lets see those Barton, MGW, or other shifter setups you guys are rocking!
Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
I haven't seen an aftermarket shift knob I liked, but that looks absolutely gorgeous.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I didn't even know Ford made a short shift kit for the car. Is there any reason to choose it over the MGW other than price?

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Nope. Just price.

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
How much does the Ford one go for ?

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The FRP shifter is nothing more than a steel sphere (at least it was changed from the OEM split half composite), a longer sphere-to-lower bushing shaft that changes the throw, a different reverse lockout collar, and some lube. You disassemble the stock shifter linkage and change the shaft/collar. It is not a standalone shifter unit. Retail is $359.

No disrespect OP. But to those considering an aftermarket shifter, I highly recommend spending a little more coin to get much more serious hardware. And you all know what I'm talking about.;)

Last edited:

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
The FRP shifter is nothing more than a steel sphere (at least it was changed from the OEM split half composite), a longer sphere-to-lower bushing shaft that changes the throw, a different reverse lockout collar, and some lube. You disassemble the stock shifter linkage and change the shaft/collar. It is not a standalone shifter unit. Retail is $359.

No disrespect OP. But to those considering an aftermarket shifter, I highly recommend spending a little more coin to get much more serious hardware. And you all know what I'm talking about.;)
I was surprised when I checked it out on a vendors site. I'd spend the extra coin on the "you all know what I'm talking about" since it isn't much more and the install doesn't look much more either.

Quick question, is there anything to worry about going with this or the MGW setup in regards to transmission longevity/reliability. Sorry if it is a dumb question, but I've read that they sometimes wear out parts faster than the stock shifter.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In the end, the transmission output rod is moving the same distance. What you are changing is the rate at which it can potentially move forward/backward/rotate. The challenge lies in not being quicker than the synchros. This is why many short throw shifters often grind or drivers get locked out of gear. The linkage can get notchy very quickly.

Sponsored

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
Just make sure you don't use the shifter as a hand rest, like people all so often do. "From now on, when you take a chip, just take one dip and end it!"

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
I didn't even know Ford made a short shift kit for the car. Is there any reason to choose it over the MGW other than price?
For me there was a good reason to go with the MGW. Elimination of the pull up reverse lock out. I dislike how they look and really don't like it in practice either.
The FP shifter is not much more than a replacement lever with a relocated pivot to change throw. Not a single thing wrong with it or other short throw shifters of its type but the MGW is a machined piece of automotive art. Being a complete shift linkage assembly, mounts, lever and shifter body makes it a complete replacement for the factory parts. Comparatively it's a bargain too considering how much more is included with the purchase as opposed to a new stick. All that said, I must say that the OP's shift knob set up looks very good.

OP
OP
Relak

Relak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350 - Oxford White
So much activity, so few shifter setups posted lol

I chose this over the MGW for several reasons, and price was actually not one of them, you'll see why in my subsequent posts

How much does the Ford one go for ?
I picked mine up for $315 and some change, install on the other hand will run you between 450-550, if you go through Ford.

And quality...
Couldn't agree more

No disrespect taken, but I can also assume you own an MGW based on your response :D. I debated whether or not to go with the MGW and for me it came down to a couple things:
1. I wanted to maintain Ford parts on my car for resale value. I've done up a few cars in my day and never recoup the price I spend on aftermarket parts unless I pull them off and sell them separately. Which brings me to my second point.

2. The price is actually quite comparable to MGW with installation taken into consideration. If you take a look at the install manual for the FP Shifter, its actually quite labor intsensive because it retains the use of a bunch of parts from the stock shifter. price of the shift and install was actually, believe it or not, more than what Ford quoted me for parts and install of the MGW shifter. Knowing that I'd likely remove the MGW before resale, it would be more beneficial for me to spend the money up front to have a Ford part on the car that I could sell and not worry about it impacting resale value.

3. there are benefits to the FP shifter over the MGW in that the stock shifter is body mounted vice a transmission mounted shifter. Both the FP and the MGW retain that function but the FP will (hopefully) get the option of adding an aftermarket transmission mount bracket from BlowFish racing for the FP shifter, as they've offered them for previous models

Overall I'm happy with the setup and think that people should do their research to purchase parts that suit their needs/desires. Good luck to those who are in the market to purchase!

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
3. there are benefits to the FP shifter over the MGW in that the stock shifter is body mounted vice a transmission mounted shifter. Both the FP and the MGW retain that function but the FP will (hopefully) get the option of adding an aftermarket transmission mount bracket from BlowFish racing for the FP shifter, as they've offered them for previous models

Overall I'm happy with the setup and think that people should do their research to purchase parts that suit their needs/desires. Good luck to those who are in the market to purchase!
I'm glad you are happy with your set-up.

What do you mean "the stock shifter is body mounted"? The OEM and MGW both mount to the trans up front and to a vibration isolator, via 2 pins at the back. Am I missing something?
Sponsored