Sponsored

Mishimoto Induction Hose with K&N filter vs Airaid No Tune Intake

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
Hi guys,

I would like to share my comparison for the two systems i listed in the topic. First of all the car is Lund Flex Fuel tuned and running on 93 octane. I ve used the mishimoto setup and switched to airaid no tune intake about 4 months ago. I ve used both oiled and dry versions of the cone filter. After asking Lund an advice if the intake required a tune adjustment, i ve received a definite NO as their answer. I sent them multiple logs to confirm this.

Lets get back on the comparison. With the same fuels, the intake lost significant low end torque around 2500 to 4000 rpm range. On the upper rpm region above 6000 rpm, the car started pulling a degree or degree and half spark timing. According to Lund this was normal.

I put the mishimoto induction hose and k&n intake setup back in the car a week ago, just to feel and see the difference. This setup added the lost low end torque. On second gear even the weather is above 80 degrees, the traction light comes on around 4000 rpm on second gear with sport mode. With the airaid, this never happened. The computer also adds timing upto 30 degrees with no timing being pulled on the same gas. Car feels more powerful.

Now, i m kinda confused with the results. Either the car really needs tune adjustment even with a no tune intake ( Lund said otherwise), or somehow this mishimoto induction hose and k&n filter combo is something not ordinary! Go figure!
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Hi guys,

I would like to share my comparison for the two systems i listed in the topic. First of all the car is Lund Flex Fuel tuned and running on 93 octane. I ve used the mishimoto setup and switched to airaid no tune intake about 4 months ago. I ve used both oiled and dry versions of the cone filter. After asking Lund an advice if the intake required a tune adjustment, i ve received a definite NO as their answer. I sent them multiple logs to confirm this.

Lets get back on the comparison. With the same fuels, the intake lost significant low end torque around 2500 to 4000 rpm range. On the upper rpm region above 6000 rpm, the car started pulling a degree or degree and half spark timing. According to Lund this was normal.

I put the mishimoto induction hose and k&n intake setup back in the car a week ago, just to feel and see the difference. This setup added the lost low end torque. On second gear even the weather is above 80 degrees, the traction light comes on around 4000 rpm on second gear with sport mode. With the airaid, this never happened. The computer also adds timing upto 30 degrees with no timing being pulled on the same gas. Car feels more powerful.

Now, i m kinda confused with the results. Either the car really needs tune adjustment even with a no tune intake ( Lund said otherwise), or somehow this mishimoto induction hose and k&n filter combo is something not ordinary! Go figure!
If you go back through [MENTION=9961]Mishimoto[/MENTION] 's thread, you'll find that they had to revise the design and make the volume larger because the initial concept lost performance. That resonating chamber on the stock intake is there for a reason. I am not surprised by your results.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Can't beat a stock intake on a modern car without tuning for it... far as I'm concerned.

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
On the S550 platform do people log and compare MAF readings? I would like to compare the stock intake, drop in filter, and an intake tube with a drop in filter showing the change (if any) in airflow on the stock tune.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt

Sponsored

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT
To the OP, thanks for the review! I'm glad to see that you logged favorable results with our induction hose. Many who have purchased this hose with the use of an upgraded filter have noticed a sharp increase in low-end power. And it doesn't require a tune. Just let me know if you have any more questions!

-Diamaan

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
The stock intake with a mishimoto tune and KN filter is a winning combination, also very good for drag racing as the IAT's stay nice and low whilst staging.

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
I'm currently running the Mishimoto intake tube and an AEM dry panel filter. I picked up the tube during the presale they had. I noticed a stronger mid range pull with this setup. Next week I'm doing a custom grille and I will be adding the Velossa Big Mouth. After that it will be a flex fuel tune. I just haven't decided who I want to use yet.

After all the reading and dyno numbers I have seen, I'm not entirely convinced that aftermarket CAI's are the way to go. I'm also not one of these guys always stressing over AIT's. I do HPDE's with my car and so far this setup has worked well.

Sponsored

Commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
another with the same mishimoto intake an k&n filter.

i'm lund tuned on 91 oct. Car has always felt strong and I have no complaints.

IAT's have always been around 10* above ambient and at idle nothing as horrible as i see guys complain about with open boxes.

Just went racing at my local road course last weekend. Temps in the 80's and the car stayed perfectly cool. Cyl head temp below 210* and the same for the trans. I do run a 170* tstat though. That helped.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Show me the independent dyno sheets and data. Butt dyno doesn't count. I'm not disagreeing as I too prefer stock intake setups but bring some data to the table please.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Show me the independent dyno sheets and data. Butt dyno doesn't count. I'm not disagreeing as I too prefer stock intake setups but bring some data to the table please.
Not independent but given the rest of their development work I wouldn't disagree with it. So far they're the only company I've seen that let the car re-learn for a while on the street before dyno'ing parts.
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1414837&postcount=12

Also:
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1842808&postcount=158

Catax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
To the OP, thanks for the review! I'm glad to see that you logged favorable results with our induction hose. Many who have purchased this hose with the use of an upgraded filter have noticed a sharp increase in low-end power. And it doesn't require a tune. Just let me know if you have any more questions!

-Diamaan
Will the pesky smog stations in CA ask for CARB EO number for this item?

highvoltage

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brock
Vehicle(s)
18 Audi A3, 21 F150
Kelly Aiken from BMR has this intake tube from mishimoto and a K&N filter and picked up power. Check out his build thread project Stocktonaut.
Sponsored