Sponsored

drone

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
They all look pretty expensive. Anyone have a more affordable axel back type exhaust? Roush looks promising.
Uhhh Pypes Touring are cheap and I promise you there's no drone and your neighbors won't hate you so much in the morning
Sponsored

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
Picking up a 2016 GT auto tomorrow - has 3.55 gears. Will do exhaust first. Am torn between 3 catbacks, all in different price ranges: MBRP Street, Borla S-Type, Corsa Street. Looked at videos and reviews over and over but can't make up my mind. Want a good muscle car sound but without drone if possible. Not too obnoxious but also not too close to stock.

MBRP Street: best bang for your buck, lower sound due to true h-pipe, (drone with automatic?)
Borla S-Type: good quality, "exotic" sound, no drone
Corsa Street: excellent quality, mild when cruising (to close to stock?), loud under WOT

Any suggestions??

Thanks!

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Picking up a 2016 GT auto tomorrow - has 3.55 gears. Will do exhaust first. Am torn between 3 catbacks, all in different price ranges: MBRP Street, Borla S-Type, Corsa Street. Looked at videos and reviews over and over but can't make up my mind. Want a good muscle car sound but without drone if possible. Not too obnoxious but also not too close to stock.

MBRP Street: best bang for your buck, lower sound due to true h-pipe, (drone with automatic?)
Borla S-Type: good quality, "exotic" sound, no drone
Corsa Street: excellent quality, mild when cruising (to close to stock?), loud under WOT

Any suggestions??

Thanks!
I would not call the S-type an exotic sound. It sounds great, but definitely more muscle tone. It doesn't drone but has sound presence in the cabin at any speed (you will hear a deep hum coming from behind you at cruise). The Corsa Sport definitely has a more exotic note, but still a deep tone overall. It maintains the tone through the revs extremely well and has zero drone. Barely audible at constant speed cruise, but as soon as you accelerate, even to go up a hill, you'll hear it.

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
Thanks for your $0.02! Regarding the S-type having an exotic note, that's what I've read but might not be true. All I've heard is you can't go wrong with Borla. If the Corsa only opens up above 4k rpm, I guess its not for me since I am more of a spirited cruiser, hence the automatic, not a speed demon, lol. Any ideas on the MBRP? The price is very tempting. From videos it sounds good I think, a little dirty/snotty. Hope that doesn't sound tacky in reality.

Sponsored

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
Check out the MBRP street. I had it before I got a Corsa and it doesn't drone.
I've got the street with 15k miles on it. It drones between about 1500 and 1800..unless you're sitting in high gear at very low speeds that would basically be if you're sitting in 6th somewhere in the 60mph range on the higway. I personally don't have any issue with that since I'm rarely there. I usually keep it in 5th if I'm doing 60 on a two lane.

Brostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT-350 Oxford & LB
Go Krona!

I went from MBRP Street to Krona and couldn't be happier. It doesn't drone while cruising or get raspy in the upper RPMs. It's got a very unique deep tone to it too. Lots of burble and rumble when lazy shifting around town, but crossing 3500 it takes on an almost European sound. Wails at WOT too, making for fun tunnel runs and underpasses.

The MBRP Street was good at part throttle, but was very splatty whenever you open up a little. Quick acceleration was almost embarrassing for me

Corsa is a safe bet, but it's almost cookie cutter at this point.

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
Thanks for your $0.02! Regarding the S-type having an exotic note, that's what I've read but might not be true. All I've heard is you can't go wrong with Borla. If the Corsa only opens up above 4k rpm, I guess its not for me since I am more of a spirited cruiser, hence the automatic, not a speed demon, lol. Any ideas on the MBRP? The price is very tempting. From videos it sounds good I think, a little dirty/snotty. Hope that doesn't sound tacky in reality.
The MBRP street, for me, was a used purchase. The guy had put less than 1k miles on it. It was kinda raspy at first when getting over about 3k rpm. Over the course of about 5000 miles it opened up and got deep and growly throughout almost the entire RPM range. At high RPM now it sounds like a v8 type track car.

I've had a couple rattles unrelated to the product internals (i think it was heated up to remove it off the original owner's car) so I've had it back to the shop three times and the guys there always comment on how deep it sounds. One of the guys in particular says "man every time I see a black GT in town I look for those black exhaust tips and I never see them. Yours sounds so good!"

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Borla makes a great product, certainly.

The Corsa definitely opens up below 4k, but it's volume is very much controlled by the throttle. It has a great bark from 2k all the way to redline. Most aftermarket exhausts out there are loud/loudish as soon as you touch the pedal, in contrast.

I've only heard the MBRP once it person and it was deep, but also very raspy up top.

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
Go Krona!

I went from MBRP Street to Krona and couldn't be happier. It doesn't drone while cruising or get raspy in the upper RPMs. It's got a very unique deep tone to it too. Lots of burble and rumble when lazy shifting around town, but crossing 3500 it takes on an almost European sound. Wails at WOT too, making for fun tunnel runs and underpasses.

The MBRP Street was good at part throttle, but was very splatty whenever you open up a little. Quick acceleration was almost embarrassing for me

Corsa is a safe bet, but it's almost cookie cutter at this point.
Just out of curiosity, how many miles did you put on the MBRP?

Sponsored

Brostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT-350 Oxford & LB
Just out of curiosity, how many miles did you put on the MBRP?
A few thousand. I gave it time to break in or whatever, but the rasp/splatting didn't go away. I have a feeling it's just the nature of a louvered core at the rear of the car. Flow gets really turbulent just before exit, and the tone suffers.

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
A few thousand. I gave it time to break in or whatever, but the rasp/splatting didn't go away. I have a feeling it's just the nature of a louvered core at the rear of the car. Flow gets really turbulent just before exit, and the tone suffers.
Hmm..I don't feel like mine is overly raspy anymore, but our tolerance levels are probably different. To each his own. I might like something more expensive too but I'll probably never bother trying. :cool:

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
They all look pretty expensive. Anyone have a more affordable axel back type exhaust? Roush looks promising.
If you like your current setup, minus the drone, get a pair of resonators for your ride. You could easily have it all done, including the weld job, for under $150.

OP
OP

stevnoof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt base manual 3.31
If you like your current setup, minus the drone, get a pair of resonators for your ride. You could easily have it all done, including the weld job, for under $150.
You think the resonator would kill the drone? I figured it was from the mufflers

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
You think the resonator would kill the drone? I figured it was from the mufflers
No, it will just reduce it via a small volume reduction. Drone is muffler-driven, and resonators do two things: 1) reduce volume 2) reduce high frequency tones and rasp.
Sponsored