Magnaflow Competition cat.back he drives me crazy

CGADAMS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP 1992 SSP LX 5.0 W/ 331 stroker
I have the magna comp cat back and honestly the drone doesn't bother me, honestly I think its too quiet in general but that just me. Plus also the fact I love in LA so everybody is going 80mph or dead stop in traffic... Besides I eventually want to go catless longtubes and see how much louder itd be! lol
Sponsored

Laztug

Wanna run dyno slips bro?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Calling out OKC #1 spot after axle back install.
I installed the cat-back competition this morning and the drone is absolutely unbearable.
Between 1600 and 2100 rpm is an absolute madness.
I do not understand how a company like [MENTION=13048]MagnaFlow[/MENTION] Puts on sale such a product, without at least giving a warning to customers.
To see if they can offer me some solution, if not 1200€ to the trash :mad:
It's not their fault you bought a competition exhaust. Throw on a set of resonators and suck it up. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
pacomicro

pacomicro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT V8 6R80 Auto Vert pp 3.55
It's not their fault you bought a competition exhaust. Throw on a set of resonators and suck it up. :thumbsup:
Actually, I bought a racing escape, not a squad of drones.

It has to be possible to drive the car normally and not produce that sound that makes you crazy.

One thing is that the sound volume produced by the exhaust is very high, which I do not complain about, and another is those frequencies that make you want to get out of the car.

ENPhoto

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ErikNymanPhotography.com
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt Premium Performance Pack
Well I've got the Competition axle-back and if you weld in the stock resonator that's what you'll essentially have.

I've got absolutely no drone at all so something's not making sense with Sprint66's comments (who also has a PP with 3.73's) except perhaps a leak somewhere or the tips were too recessed and it was droning off the bumper??

By the way, check that the tips are past the edge of the bumper.

If I were you, I'd see if you can exchange for the Comp axle-back but I doubt they'll take it back if it's already been installed.

Same here. 3.73's. Manual. MF Comp Axle-Back. Only drone I get is when in 6th gear doing 80-90km/h, lugging it around 1700rpm under load...

It's too quiet, need an X-Pipe.

Not sure why the OP finds it a drone machine with the Catback. Maybe I'm missing something, or I drive it too high of RPM's to notice....

OP
OP
pacomicro

pacomicro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT V8 6R80 Auto Vert pp 3.55
Do I have any other option besides putting the stock resonator back?

I mean put a glasspack or something else.

Keep in mind that I am in Europe and we do not have as many options as in USA

Will the sound go down when the stock resonator is reinstalled?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I have the magna comp cat back and honestly the drone doesn't bother me, honestly I think its too quiet in general but that just me. Plus also the fact I love in LA so everybody is going 80mph or dead stop in traffic... Besides I eventually want to go catless longtubes and see how much louder itd be! lol
The answer is MUCH louder. Sounds great but drone is crazy

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase

You could install some glass packs but realistically they won't get you back to the equivalent of the comp axle back which also has some drone about it, particularly for an auto.
You want either the stock resonator or some kind of large body muffler.
I have a Magnaflow cat back sitting in my garage if you want centre to centre measurements and the like. :cheers:

BadMG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Honestly switch to the Corsa extremes or the Borla Atak. Both of those systems are just as loud with zero drone.

Synyster06Gates

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
I wonder what the difference between the GT catback and GT350 catback is (aside from the active portion). I'd imagine with the valves open since most of the exhaust is flowing through the louder portion it should sound similar. I get no drone with with valves open or closed. I'm running a GT350 catback on my GT.

Sponsored

fcarpio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
When I got my Magnaflow Street catback I was looking for something quiet. It was advertised as one of the quietest exhausts for the S550. And it was, outside the car. Inside the car it is loud as hell. I guess I should have done my research little better. I don't know who would like drone in their car. From what I hear you can tame the drone with something called a glass pack? I don't know, I didn't want to try it. I sold my almost new Magnaflow at half price here after only using it a few months . and got me the AWE SwitchPath, not looking back.

Semi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
79 ford f250 7.5l/2015 gt pp ruby red
I bought my MF comp for $500 bucks used and have the 3.73's and I don't experience drone. For someone to lose 700 bucks on it means they obviously didn't like it either but then again, he sold his stang for a Miata.

Rather than clamps I had mine welded up so no idea if that makes a difference or if as others have stated if it's just the difference between how people drive.

I've got a motorcycle with a micron big bore exhaust that drones insanely on long distances, I just wonder sometimes if people know what drone means.

My only complaint is how loud it is in first gear, you sound like you're racing all the way through first even if you're not punching it very hard.

DanDglassman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue
The drone is strong with this one, for sure. I got mine to a manageable level by dynamatting the trunk floor, spare tire well, and fender wells. Then covered that with a Home Depot 1/2" denim insulation with the silver backing. It took the edge off of drone. It is definitely still there, but not earsplitting. I also don't lug engine in 6th. (5sp w/ 3.55s)

This has made the Magnaflow livable for me. I love the sound and have gotten countless compliments.

CGADAMS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP 1992 SSP LX 5.0 W/ 331 stroker
The answer is MUCH louder. Sounds great but drone is crazy
lol I figure it will be but I usually blast my tunes in the process. that and if im moving on the highway im usually going 80 so im past the apparent drone area lol

TrEvoRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP

You may want to check out the MF tru-x resonated x-pipe from CJ Pony.
Sponsored