Sponsored

What have you broken or just worn out?

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
Like the title says, I'm curious as to what parts seem to have failed prematurely or have just worn out due to HPDE/TT/TA, etc?

This doesn't include things like brake pads, although premature clutch failures may fit the bill, you decide.

Please be as descriptive as possible and maybe entertain any on-track antics that may have occurred during your failure. Also post up if you went OEM replacement or what aftermarket part you added.

I'd like to compile info and maybe see what parts may be wise to keep around.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Part that failed

2. Approximate mileage (and track usage-days/miles/events)

3. How the failure manifested (on track-driving issues?, found during pre/post inspection, etc)

4. How did you fix it (OEM or aftermarket replacement)
Sponsored

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
OP
OP

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
I recall the thread. Sort of prompted this in a way. Kind of seeing what parts actually have been failing now that we've had some time with these cars on the track.

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I "upgrade" stuff too fast to wear anything out! Seems like anyway ;-)

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
8000 miles and on my 3rd left rear hub. Nothing exciting just a wobbly rear wheel that needs a new hub, don't know why I go through them. Replaced with a stock one each time

Rear drive shaft boots broke open on my first track day, I'm still wiping the mess up that it left under my car. Replaced with DSS800 shafts.

Clutch friction material came apart at another track day around 8000 miles. Had to coast into the grass and limp back to pits. Then drive car home 300 miles without a clutch, starting in first gear at stop lights and grinding up through the box. Replaced with an Exedy twin disc.

Sponsored

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
8000 miles and on my 3rd left rear hub. Nothing exciting just a wobbly rear wheel that needs a new hub, don't know why I go through them. Replaced with a stock one each time

Rear drive shaft boots broke open on my first track day, I'm still wiping the mess up that it left under my car. Replaced with DSS800 shafts.

Clutch friction material came apart at another track day around 8000 miles. Had to coast into the grass and limp back to pits. Then drive car home 300 miles without a clutch, starting in first gear at stop lights and grinding up through the box. Replaced with an Exedy twin disc.
Thats epic!
Nothing like the feeling of getting a car home without a clutch.
On an NSX, you can loiter in the gate and ride the syncro and vary the rpms slow enough to feel where the syncro has the mate and snick it into gear without a grind.
Watchout for rockauto hubs. Have seen one with the FORD ground off like they were out of spec, bought another from WBL all good. Have a third w a bad ABS ring.

Guys, what about those fender liner push pins?
I need a source and diameters for beefy replacements.

OP
OP

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
My first victim:

1. DS rear hub

2. Car has ~16k miles, 7 track days.

3. Heard a tick in my pre-track day "drive the car and listen for noises" inspection. Caught it pretty early. I did have a CW track day on the 4th and lost the car into a spin with the DS rear taking the brunt of the force, so that may have started the accelerated death.

4. Moog replacement Part #512517. In the future I may end up replacing with the Ford Racing hubs with ARP studs installed to save me the trouble of swapping studs.

1. Front Swaybar End Links Bent

2. 1st HPDE event, little under 5K miles.

3. Found during post event inspection.

4. Replaced with BMR endlinks.

Thats epic!
Nothing like the feeling of getting a car home without a clutch.
On an NSX, you can loiter in the gate and ride the syncro and vary the rpms slow enough to feel where the syncro has the mate and snick it into gear without a grind.
Watchout for rockauto hubs. Have seen one with the FORD ground off like they were out of spec, bought another from WBL all good. Have a third w a bad ABS ring.

Guys, what about those fender liner push pins?
I need a source and diameters for beefy replacements.
Not sure what pins you are talking about specifically, but the ones that attach the fender liner to the undertray/splitter have been replaced with u-nuts and screws for a faster tear down and longer lasting fastener.

Last edited:

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
30K miles, maybe 7 track days.

- Rear driver's side brake caliper piston boot (replaced entire caliper under warranty). This was due to the thin, weak boot that tore when turning the piston when changing to track pads. Just 1/4" turn after prior doing my due diligence to ensure it wasn't binding like any other car. Replacement part has a much thicker, different color (reddish) boot that stretches better and doesn't tear.
- Rear passenger side OEM inner toe arm bearing (replaced under warranty). Had a clunking sound and isolated it to this after lots of trial and error. Replaced, clunk gone. Eventually replaced with Steeda toe arms as they have better bearings and adjustability.
- Boomba Racing vertical links. After one track day three out of the four bushings cracked. Boomba replaced under warranty (wasn't a timely process, but no questions asked). Sold them to a friend and he says they are doing just fine. Maybe they improved their material composition. I did have a very early set.

So far, thank god, no issues with wheel bearings, but I have not gone on track yet with anything more than a summer tire. I BELIEVE the new 2018 Mustang bearings are an improved/stronger design and I'd start replacing with those if possible.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
My '16 GT car has 25k miles, 8 track days, and ~120 autox runs.

+ Torn rear brake piston dust boot (my fault, but the boots ARE very thin). Still on the car. Will replace soon.

+ Bent stock front swaybar endlinks (no idea when). Bends are slight so they're still on the car. I would replace with aftermarket, but Solo Street rules...

+ Sprung a couple of minor oil leaks in the engine bay (pressure sender and oil cooler fitting) around 20000 miles. Fixed with Ford parts.

+ AC Compressor came apart @ 25000 miles. Fixed under warranty. IDK if high RPM contributed, but it did fail the morning after an autocross.

Not including cosmetic damage from rock chips, traffic cones, or the occasional lawn mowing excursion.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
My '16 GT car has 25k miles, 8 track days, and ~120 autox runs.

+ Torn rear brake piston dust boot (my fault, but the boots ARE very thin). Still on the car. Will replace soon.

+ Bent stock front swaybar endlinks (no idea when). Bends are slight so they're still on the car. I would replace with aftermarket, but Solo Street rules...

+ Sprung a couple of minor oil leaks in the engine bay (pressure sender and oil cooler fitting) around 20000 miles. Fixed with Ford parts.

+ AC Compressor came apart @ 25000 miles. Fixed under warranty. IDK if high RPM contributed, but it did fail the morning after an autocross.

Not including cosmetic damage from rock chips, traffic cones, or the occasional lawn mowing excursion.
You run AC while autocrossing? Thats pretty flossin..

Last edited:

Sponsored

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
- Brake dust boots, front and rear
- Slave cylinder/throw out bearing