Sponsored

Muffler delete/resonator delete oudness in decibels

Yllizh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Metallic 2015 GT
Hey guys I'm new to this forum. I bought a 2015 GT last summer and got myself a custom straight pipe system with an x pipe (cats still on). It was way too loud for me so I switched back to stock exhaust and am now struggling to make a decision between the resonator delete and the muffler delete.

Where I'm from you don't see many mustangs and even less modified ones (every mustang here is pretty much stock) so I never heard anything live except for my straight pipe.

Now since I've put some miles into it the stock exhaust has got a bit louder but I want it quite a tad louder. Does any of you guys know the decibels a resonator delete/muffler delete makes as I have to rely on those because of laws here? Also pros and cons of those two?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Yllizh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't have any idea about the decibel number but I have two sound clips at post number 58 and 59 here: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74739&page=4

H-Pipe with stock mufflers vs stock oem catback
Nice but I gotta say I've seen a lot of mustang exhaust videos and videos are just videos I would prefer if you could tell me how the sound changes, how much louder is it? I've never heard a res or muffler delete 5.0 live so it's hard for me to judge.

I remember someone once told me that in general, a muffler delete will make most of engines pretty loud and a res delete will make them pop more but no significant sound increase?

OP
OP

Yllizh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well this is IMO, and others will have there own. The h-pipe is a little louder at start-up and at highway speeds vs the stock catback. At wot it is much louder and aggressive with very little popping when you let off of the throttle. I would not want the car any louder than it is now and there is no drone. I plan to do one last video with a cold start comparison when the wind stops blowing so hard. Hope that helps.
Sounds great, thank you. How much louder would you say is a muffler delete in comparison? Too loud for daily driving with spirited driving here and there? I like the way it sounds stock so an increase in volume and aggressivness sounds great, but i also like the throaty muffler delete sound but I don't know how loud it is and I don't want the police on my a.. all the time because they won't hesitate putting your car on a lift and checking the exhaust. All I know is the complete straight pipe I had was way too much for my taste it didn't even stay for one week.

OP
OP

Yllizh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Videos here. I did the muffler delete, keeping the stock resonator. I had Roush Axle back with the resonator and wanted something louder.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82990&page=3
Nice I've already seen this video on youtube and I liked the sound very much. Can you be quiet with a muffler delete? I like agressive and loud sound but I'm not into constant attention. Can you also tell me how much louder your muffler + res delete is than just muffler del so I can compare? God knows how people with catless headers can dd a 5.0.

Questions and questions I know but I'd be glad if you could answer them.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Nice I've already seen this video on youtube and I liked the sound very much. Can you be quiet with a muffler delete? I like agressive and loud sound but I'm not into constant attention. Can you also tell me how much louder your muffler + res delete is than just muffler del so I can compare? God knows how people with catless headers can dd a 5.0.

Questions and questions I know but I'd be glad if you could answer them.
If you want something that is only loud when you want, throttle-based, this won't be it.

JJJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I still have the stock resonator, so the sound is same as video #1 in the link. It's just a tad louder than the Roush mufflers with the stock resonator. If you're familiar with the Roush mufflers you know they are straight through design, so removing the mufflers was only a slight increase, but very much deeper sounding.

Btw, with my Bama tune I no longer have "cold starts." Which is the most discouraging part when looking at getting a new exhaust.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I have solo performance street race basically x-pipe with straight pipe all the way to the back.
It's loud like deafening loud.

OP
OP

Yllizh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you want something that is only loud when you want, throttle-based, this won't be it.
Thanks for your input, I don't mind it being a little loud but I wouldn't exactly want a "bwaaaaa" when you touch the gas pedal with one toe.

I still have the stock resonator, so the sound is same as video #1 in the link. It's just a tad louder than the Roush mufflers with the stock resonator. If you're familiar with the Roush mufflers you know they are straight through design, so removing the mufflers was only a slight increase, but very much deeper sounding.

Btw, with my Bama tune I no longer have "cold starts." Which is the most discouraging part when looking at getting a new exhaust.
Alright thank you a lot, I've found db readings of the roush axle back in another forum so I'm just gonna post them in case someone digs this up and wants to know:

In car idle: 56db
In car 3500rpm: 69 db
Outside idle from 2 ft: 77 db
Outside 3500rpm from 2 ft: 99 db
Highway crusing at 2000rpm: 74 db

Problem is, here in switzerland limit is 82db but measured 7 meters (20ft+-?) away from the car so I guess I'll take the muffler delete, shouldn't be more than 82 db from that distance (I hope).

I have solo performance street race basically x-pipe with straight pipe all the way to the back.
It's loud like deafening loud.
I know that feeling man but it's cool though if I could run a straight pipe by law I would put mine back on it so enjoy your deafening sound :) I only got to run it in my town because I would have been caught outside of it, straight pipe will make your life a whole mess regarding police controls here.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for your input, I don't mind it being a little loud but I wouldn't exactly want a "bwaaaaa" when you touch the gas pedal with one toe.

Alright thank you a lot, I've found db readings of the roush axle back in another forum so I'm just gonna post them in case someone digs this up and wants to know:

In car idle: 56db
In car 3500rpm: 69 db
Outside idle from 2 ft: 77 db
Outside 3500rpm from 2 ft: 99 db
Highway crusing at 2000rpm: 74 db

Problem is, here in switzerland limit is 82db but measured 7 meters (20ft+-?) away from the car so I guess I'll take the muffler delete, shouldn't be more than 82 db from that distance (I hope).

I know that feeling man but it's cool though if I could run a straight pipe by law I would put mine back on it so enjoy your deafening sound :) I only got to run it in my town because I would have been caught outside of it, straight pipe will make your life a whole mess regarding police controls here.
Roush AB volume is fairly controllable with the throttle, as are the Corsa systems. Both can stay under the radar. A muffler delete with a resonator delete would not, though. Pretty much loud all the time.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Yllizh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Roush AB volume is fairly controllable with the throttle, as are the Corsa systems. Both can stay under the radar. A muffler delete with a resonator delete would not, though. Pretty much loud all the time.
I know I had res and muffler delete it was unbearable but I thought you said a muffler delete only is not controllable. This is good news, I'll go for the muffler delete. :cheers:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I know I had res and muffler delete it was unbearable but I thought you said a muffler delete only is not controllable. This is good news, I'll go for the muffler delete. :cheers:
I did and no it's not really. Muffler and resonator delete will be loud all the time.
Sponsored