Sponsored

Best 200TW for the TRACK

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
subbed to thread... Running square 285/35/19 RE-71s at our track day at Memphis back in May, the 1st or 2nd hot lap of every session was my fastest. The RE-71s never got slippery, greasy, unpredicatable, etc. but you could definitely tell they give up some grip when hot and pressed. Another slight ding is that they don't seem to be quite as "talkative" as the Direzzas were on my Focus, but could just be the Mustang is a lot quieter of a car/chassis. Driving the RE-71s on the street is easily tolerable, while the Direzzas were pretty miserable, especially on the highway.
Sponsored

hulk_smash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Are you doing time attack or just lapping? If time attack then sure, RE71R but for lapping I'd say something else.

I have both Azenis RT615k+ and RE71R. The RE71R is a better autox tire while the Azenis definitely felt like it was better than I was on track. It seems to do best with a sustained, hard run over a long time like a track day session where as the RE71R is best for short bursts like autox.

I hear the new Azenis is very similar, if not the same, as the Star Spec so that's why I thought it would be good for your to consider that tire on your 19" wheels.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...dewall=Blackwall&partnum=735WR9Z2SS&tab=Sizes
I agree with the hankook being more of a trackday tire. I personally picked up 3 sec with the 71r over the rs3.

I will most likely get Hoosiers next.
RE71R hands down

I have 3 hard trackdays on them and they are still alive

I wouldn't reccomend the hankooks. I believe the rs4 sidewall is still soft.

This car needs a stiff sidewall.
On a 19x10 for the best 200tw tire for track days I'd look hard at a 275/35/19 Dunlop Star Spec or Hankook RS4.

But I'd really recommend an 18x10 and 275/35/18 Azenis RT615k+. I have a pair of those up front on 11" wheels and the 315s in back and they were awesome in the couple sessions I ran them through on track. There is a certain "New Blue" S550 tearing it up in Optima and One Lap running these tires.
I corded 275/35/18 RE71R in 3.5 days in a 3,000lbs track prepped e46 M3.

They do have stiff sidewalls but the compound is too soft.

Day 1 and 2 was Buttonwillow CW13;
Day 3 was Chuckwalla Valley raceway;
Day 4 was Buttonwillow CW13. T

The TW on RE71R is bogus. It's a touch grippier than an NT01.

I've been telling people that Yokohama AD08R, although expensive, are one heck of a tire and will last you a long time as evidenced by Plimmer's testimony. It's at least as grippy as a Hankook RS-3 and much better on street and excellent in the heat (for a street tire). Stiff sidewalls and awesome looking tread. If you don't have a spare set of track wheels, I'd really encourage you to give this tire a shot.

I will give the new Hankook RS-4 in August a try. That is my next track day. I can live with having a little less grip. I'd rather have better heat tolerance, more consistent, good communication and not have tire cord in 3 or 4 days vs more peak grip.

OP
OP
Grintch

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
But isn't the Yokahama 180TW? So not legal.

I got a good deal on a set of NT01s. So fhat's my track tire for now. I'll have to revisit the question when I start running SCCA TT, and I guess I won't try to seriously run Solo too.

rodhx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP Premium
But isn't the Yokahama 180TW? So not legal.

I got a good deal on a set of NT01s. So fhat's my track tire for now. I'll have to revisit the question when I start running SCCA TT, and I guess I won't try to seriously run Solo too.
When you bring the Mustang to TT it's minimum class will be the ESP Solo class which is a r-comp class with no treadwear rating concern. If you mod it to that rule set you'll at last be same to run the same tires for TT & autox if you want.

OP
OP
Grintch

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
When you bring the Mustang to TT it's minimum class will be the ESP Solo class which is a r-comp class with no treadwear rating concern. If you mod it to that rule set you'll at last be same to run the same tires for TT & autox if you want.
I though all the solo classes caried over up to Street Modified? So my class of choice would be STP in both Solo & TT based on my mod level, and not wanting to buy a $2000 set of Hoosiers every month.

Now NASA forces the GT into the number classes, where you would be forced to run Hoosiers to be competitive.

Sponsored

rodhx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP Premium
No, Street Prepared is the lowest prep Solo class in the SeDiv rule set. If you're FS, STP, or ESP for autocross and put in the necessary TT safety gear then you could run ESP for TT, with rcomps if you want. My M3 was a BSP car. Previously I was gonna run an STR Miata in TT in CSP.

svtdoug

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
I am on RE71R's and love them. Normally run at Pacific Raceway and the Ridge in the Seattle area, does not get that hot normally and no issues with going away. But I have run them at Oregon Raceway Park on a hot weekend with temps near 100 degrees. They did get a bit greasy when pushed hard over 15 laps or so, but then the track pavement was beginning to come apart in a couple of places! And everyone was having the same issue. So can't really fault the tires.

On my last track day at Pacific Raceway, I ran my best lap time in the last (6th) session on my 53rd lap of the day, and the 8th lap of the session.

I have found the RE71R's to be as heat tolerant as RA-1's and Hancock Ventus Z214 which I have run. And the RE71R's seem to be quicker, and last longer. Have 5 track days on them so far. After the 5 track days, just had to flip the fronts, as front right was losing its outer edge as all the tracks I have run are CCW.

Doug

saf1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack
Anyone using Firehawks / Indy 500's - wondering how they are holding up to the various track days. Or do they fall under a different tread wear or rule category?

jdub.csu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
The hankook rs4's are great track day tires and hold up a lot better than the RE71R's

ArrestmeRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang
I have the Bridgestone RE-11's 285/35/19 squared on my car. I love these tires. I've never run more than 20 minute heats at the track but they never fade or get greasy within that time. They are definitely a big track tire over an autoX tire. I daily these tires and they seem to be holding up great with tread wear. I probably have at least 6k on these and they have plenty of life left.

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Within the context of HPDE, don't buy 200TW tires unless you're a true (like experienced) Intermediate getting ready for Advanced class duty or higher. Don't see a point of the added expense otherwise - you aren't racing, you're learning how to drive on track. I have gone around a track faster than people with the infamous MPSS tire and also RE-71s, RE-11s, and other 200TW tires on Conti DW 340 tires. I was learning and often it wasn't easy, but it benefited me greatly, I think. (Obviously we have many variables contributing to me being faster on regular summer tires -- the car, the driver skill, the this, the that, the world, the moon... but... in general. Also not saying I'd be faster on 340 tires than you on 200 tires... didn't go faster than everyone. Point is... good summer tires are still fun out there.)

That said, my choice would be the RE-11s in 19 from a value perspective taking into account longevity and streetability (as I don't have a truck/trailer and would rather not lug "street wheels" around). I debated those or the Conti Sports I got instead and decided on the Contis because, well, I have more to learn. And I also have Nitto NT01 305 square on separate wheels I plan to run one session per HPDE to start developing a feel for sticker tire setup and what sort of adjustments I might need to make to my adjustable settings... you know, as a compare contrast type of thing. (I got them for a good price by chance, otherwise I would have 200 tires on those wheels.)

Aaron1085

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT - Whipple
FWIW, I used to run Hankook RS3’s (now they are 4’s) on my big heavy Audi A4 which was my track car.
they took a TON of abuse and were very predictable at speed and temperature.

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
holy necrobump! :)

RS4 is a great endurance tire, since they wear like iron and tolerate all levels of heat. i use them for a regional racing series in a different car (lucky dog, similar to chump/champcar, without $$$ limitations).

fwiw, i've tried the Rival S 1.5, RE-71R, PS4S and A052 this season on my 'stang. hands down, the A052 wipes all others, and is the go-to tire for time trialing - if the fastest 200TW tire is your main concern/series limitation. their tolerance for heat is the lowest though, and requires a smooth out-lap followed by 2-3 hot laps (depending on course length), before falling off. that said, they tolerate 15-20 minute sessions for HPDE just fine, if you aren't chasing ultimate time every lap. and surprisingly, they last longer than i'd expected (which was NOT the case for autox - aggressive driving without carcass heat scrubs the rubber off fast).

nbjeeptj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neill
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
So far, for the money I have been impressed with the Federal 595RS-pro. I got these on the track for one session (just to heat cycle them) on the last track day at Carolina Motorsports park before they repaved it. I now have 2 track days with 6 sessions each and I have had my best lap times ever. before these I was running Toyo R888R's. Its hard to know for sure at this point if my lap times are a result of the tires or the new pavement, but I real happy with them since they are half the cost of the Toyo's. I run 275/35/19 square set up for either option.

Last edited:

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
holy necrobump! :)

RS4 is a great endurance tire, since they wear like iron and tolerate all levels of heat. i use them for a regional racing series in a different car (lucky dog, similar to chump/champcar, without $$$ limitations).

fwiw, i've tried the Rival S 1.5, RE-71R, PS4S and A052 this season on my 'stang. hands down, the A052 wipes all others, and is the go-to tire for time trialing - if the fastest 200TW tire is your main concern/series limitation. their tolerance for heat is the lowest though, and requires a smooth out-lap followed by 2-3 hot laps (depending on course length), before falling off. that said, they tolerate 15-20 minute sessions for HPDE just fine, if you aren't chasing ultimate time every lap. and surprisingly, they last longer than i'd expected (which was NOT the case for autox - aggressive driving without carcass heat scrubs the rubber off fast).
My driving is still definitely my limit for autocross, but boy do I feel like I'm at a notable disadvantage on RE71Rs vs A052s sometimes. A street cars on them are fast enough that you just go "nope, can't touch that" on RE71Rs.
Sponsored