Sponsored

Brake Fluid Swap

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
I use the Mityvac MV8000 - Automotive Tune Up and Brake Bleeding Kit. I have a few Mityvac pumps for different situations. They work wonderfully.
Sponsored

OP
OP

OKC S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black PP GT
I'm guessing that's just their general recommendation. If you track your car, 2-year old fluid is too old. And a fluid that has a higher boiling point needs to be changed out more often.
To be fair I only started really tracking the car about 8 months ago but yes I agree it is overdue for a change.

Grafanton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP 6MT
An old Gatorade bottle and some clear plastic hose from Home Depot and you can make yourself a one person bleeder. [ame]

With the 5 spoke wheels on my Perf Pkg, I don't even have to take the wheels off to bleed or flush the brake fluid, although yes, it's easier if you do. I have a tendency to get brake fluid everywhere no matter what I do.

The Gatorade bottle works great because it has a large mouth and a wide base. If I put the Gatorade bottle in an old coffee can on top of a couple of bolts it makes it even harder to tip over.

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
I use the bottle with fluid in the bottom "one man bleeder" or gravity bleed, depending on what I have going on.

Which reminds me, I need to bleed them, lol.

Brent Dalton

Sua Sponte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I use the motive power bleeder with the red aluminum cap. I've had it for years for other cars. I've stopped putting any fluid in the motive power bleeder to reduce the cleanup. I just use it to pressurize the system and keep an eye on the actual reservoir and top off as necessary. It's always worked well for me.

I use Castrol SRF fluid. It's worth the extra money IMO.

Sponsored

sonicc

Mr. Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
[MENTION=14263]Brent Dalton[/MENTION]

do you have the part number for the red aluminum cap or a link? they have a few different ones that are all red.

Brent Dalton

Sua Sponte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
Sub'd. How much fluid does the PP take for a full flush?

Also always make sure to bleed from the inboard nipple followed by the outboard nipple on dual nipple calipers. Some just bleed the outboard which is not ideal.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Well just bleed it in the order of distance from the lines to the master (shortest to longest). Then go run it and activate the ABS a few times and bleed again. That's the way I would do it if I didn't have the autel scan tool.

If you have the PP you have two bleeders on the front.
Then you're doing it wrong. You start with the caliper farthest from the master cylinder, and work towards, so - PR, DR, PF, DF.

JR

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
I use the motive power bleeder with the red aluminum cap. I've had it for years for other cars. I've stopped putting any fluid in the motive power bleeder to reduce the cleanup. I just use it to pressurize the system and keep an eye on the actual reservoir and top off as necessary. It's always worked well for me.

I use Castrol SRF fluid. It's worth the extra money IMO.
[MENTION=14263]Brent Dalton[/MENTION]

do you have the part number for the red aluminum cap or a link? they have a few different ones that are all red.
Sub'd. How much fluid does the PP take for a full flush?

Also always make sure to bleed from the inboard nipple followed by the outboard nipple on dual nipple calipers. Some just bleed the outboard which is not ideal.
Yes it is this BLEEDER as Brent Mentioned. His method of using it as a pressure source only is the least messy method of doing a brake bleed. There is no need to bleed the ABS system unless you had it opened. The Ford method uses a pressure bleeder to flush and bleed brakes. No ABS actuation is required. 1 Liter of fluid will fill a system but 2 liters (or qts) will be enough to do a full flush.

Any DOT4 should be changed every 6 months for track use. SRF has a 500+F WET Boiling Point so it able to perform much longer than regular DOT4. We run OEM DOT4LV and have never experienced brake fluid issues. We run cooling and a proper brake pad. OEM fluid is good 500+F when it is fresh. We recommend a racing fluid for track use but we are testing, not trying to set fastest laps so we have stayed with OEM fluid to verify product performance.
2015 Mustang Bleeder.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP

OKC S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black PP GT
Update: For anyone interested, I ended up going to a local Ford dealer and had them perform the flush. Total cost after tax was right arounf $160.

I will probably do this myself in the future but since I have been running the stock fluid for 25K miles and several track days I figured a complete flush of the entire system would be pertinent.

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Just to weigh in on this thread; in the old days we would use ATE Super Blue to know when you had completely flushed the system. This year I tried G-Four 335 fluid, which has a greenish tint, to know that all the stock fluid was gone. You could do it with just a quart, but I ended up flushing just a little bit more than I probably needed to just to be sure.

Also, I would never, ever, do a track day with stock fluid, in any car. If you've ever boiled the brake fluid at the end of the fast straight and your pedal just helplessly goes to the floor, you'd agree with me. Not something I ever want to experience again.

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Just to weigh in on this thread; in the old days we would use ATE Super Blue to know when you had completely flushed the system. This year I tried G-Four 335 fluid, which has a greenish tint, to know that all the stock fluid was gone. You could do it with just a quart, but I ended up flushing just a little bit more than I probably needed to just to be sure.

Also, I would never, ever, do a track day with stock fluid, in any car. If you've ever boiled the brake fluid at the end of the fast straight and your pedal just helplessly goes to the floor, you'd agree with me. Not something I ever want to experience again.
The Stock Fluid in the S550 has a minimum dry boiling point of 509F. But we do recommend a racing type fluid. If you boil stock fresh fluid you need to look into brake cooling and better track pads.

OP
OP

OKC S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black PP GT

I have heard/read this many times but have never experienced boiled fluid. It certainly sounds like something I would never want to experience.

I do not disagree with what you are saying but it seems the stock DOT 4 in the S550 works pretty well.