OP
OP
fatbillybob

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
At $115k+ I'm with you guys build my own. A factory racer has appeal but if 50 units made you aren't going to get one. A miata is 30k a mustang gt is 38k. Global mx5 miata racecar is $55k the GT should be closer to $65k IMO.

If you buy a new 2017 GT full sticker at $38k put triple JRZ's, AP brakes, cage, fire system some ancillaries you are under $55k! Your build sweat equity at least $5k off that.

The cayman GT4 is $165k. The bmw 235i was another 100 unit thing unobtainable $85k euros. A mustang should be way cheaper.

I'm pretty sure Ford is not making these FR350's fast. The winning pro racers like Pheonix and Kohr are doing the trial and error and telling Ford what to do. I think guys like Kohr are doing something very similar to what Ford Racing will do with the FR350. Kohr will take a BIW (body in white) and build a mustang racecar seam welding and all the rest.
Sponsored

F0J

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
François
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
At $115k+ I'm with you guys build my own. A factory racer has appeal but if 50 units made you aren't going to get one. A miata is 30k a mustang gt is 38k. Global mx5 miata racecar is $55k the GT should be closer to $65k IMO.

If you buy a new 2017 GT full sticker at $38k put triple JRZ's, AP brakes, cage, fire system some ancillaries you are under $55k! Your build sweat equity at least $5k off that.

The cayman GT4 is $165k. The bmw 235i was another 100 unit thing unobtainable $85k euros. A mustang should be way cheaper.

I'm pretty sure Ford is not making these FR350's fast. The winning pro racers like Pheonix and Kohr are doing the trial and error and telling Ford what to do. I think guys like Kohr are doing something very similar to what Ford Racing will do with the FR350. Kohr will take a BIW (body in white) and build a mustang racecar seam welding and all the rest.
Once the local Porsche dealership knew what the heck I was talking about, they were *really* interested in selling me a Cayman GT4 Cup. The markup must be hilarious. I considered buying a regular Cayman GT4 and had the opportunity to get a "lightly used" one for 125kCAD but I just couldn't get over the fact that on the taxes alone, I could buy a S550 mustang. Heck for that kind of money I can get a miata for the wife, karts for the whole family and a hauler.

I did send a few emails "I've got a brand new GT and 25k, build me a slow track car that's safer and it won't blow up" and all I got were crickets.

Anyways, I've realized that the saying "100 hours of prep per minute of track" is actually pretty accurate so I'm looking at building a proper shop and getting to know the local mechanics that are interested in helping me out. I've got plenty to learn..

OP
OP
fatbillybob

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
I did send a few emails "I've got a brand new GT and 25k, build me a slow track car that's safer and it won't blow up" and all I got were crickets.
I had the same issue with you regarding the GT4. The other issue is I have W2W raced and still do for nearly 20 years. I have rolled 1 car and had the back end taken off the other. The cost of fixing a cayman bodywork is huge compared to a vette or mustang. The vette I race now I can buy body parts in my car's color!

Building is easy. I'm self taught welder now with 4 welders, gas,mig, tig and plasma cutter so I went down the slippery slope. Cages are 5k if you have to have someone build one or 500 bucks in metal if you DIY. I got tire changer, balancer full service lift, scales... the works. The place where the race winning shops shine is car set-up. Their results are podiums vs. all the rest. Even buying a FR350s is only the potential to win. The rest is up to set-up and testing. Testing is everything to develop speed. Real testing needs new tires. Most of us chase speed. Testing on degrading tires we really learn very little.

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
"The Shelby FP350S starts as a Mustang but it is given the full race car treatment. The engine is the 5.2-liter V-8 (not of the flat-plane crank variety) prepared by Ford Performance Parts and fitted with a race-oriented exhaust."

From http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1107686_ford-performance-reveals-track-only-shelby-fp350s
I think you may have read my post wrong, I did note that it was a cross-plane crank 5.2L and not a flat-plane crack as you pointed out.

From my previous post:
I built my GT from a salvage vehicle and have no where near $60k in it and it is race ready. The biggest two benefits to the FP350 is the 5.2l with the cross plane crank and cams, as well as the stitch welded chassis before it is painted and loaded with seem sealer.

Dave

mnmike59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I think you may have read my post wrong, I did note that it was a cross-plane crank 5.2L and not a flat-plane crack as you pointed out.

From my previous post:
I built my GT from a salvage vehicle and have no where near $60k in it and it is race ready. The biggest two benefits to the FP350 is the 5.2l with the cross plane crank and cams, as well as the stitch welded chassis before it is painted and loaded with seem sealer.

Dave
You are correct Sir. My bad. :cheers:

Sponsored

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
If you sent that email to me, you would be picking out color combinations and arranging shipping. However I first would have tried talking you into buying this as your starting point so you could be all in under $50K.

https://www.iaai.com/Vehicle?itemID=24307781&RowNumber=4

I hope you like black! This car should sell in the $14-18K range maybe less.

Dave

Reactions: F0J

F0J

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
François
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
If you sent that email to me, you would be picking out color combinations and arranging shipping. However I first would have tried talking you into buying this as your starting point so you could be all in under $50K.

Dave
Ahh nice.

I've since kinda re-considered. I'll be driving the Mustang mostly as-is for a couple HPDEs and Time Attacks. Then get a dedicated track toy, not sure what, but something a little more affordable in the long run. The S550's configuration makes tires, pads, oil use, etc. an expensive proposition in the long run compared to a Formula Ford or whatever. The kart scene is not bad up here.

sldghmr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP (x2), 2016 F-150 XLT
Vehicle Showcase

Dave
[MENTION=23555]F0J[/MENTION]... I totally agree w/Dave... if I had gotten that email... you'd have your racer in 3-4 months time!! The car that he linked above is the exactly what I bought and built out, 2015 GT base w/PP...only difference is mine was flood damaged and was thru Coparts. I stripped it, pulled motor and trans and took it up to Watson Racing to get the cage put in (I don't know how to weld, but thought long & hard about learning real fast). Dave's $14K - $18K range is dead spot on....

F0J

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
François
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
@F0J ... I totally agree w/Dave... if I had gotten that email... you'd have your racer in 3-4 months time!! The car that he linked above is the exactly what I bought and built out, 2015 GT base w/PP...only difference is mine was flood damaged and was thru Coparts. I stripped it, pulled motor and trans and took it up to Watson Racing to get the cage put in (I don't know how to weld, but thought long & hard about learning real fast). Dave's $14K - $18K range is dead spot on....
Thanks. I really do appreciate the offer but I've since changed my mind. I could easily spend 14k just on data acquisition and sensors..

There's not much support for endurance car building in Winnipeg. The mechanics I spoke to where all about "tune + CAI + exhaust + supercharger" when I wanted "safety + chassis + aero + endurance". I realized how much prep I'd have to do on my own so all my money is going towards tools and building a shop. Currently shopping for a house that has either the acreage to build a detached garage or one that has at least 10ft ceilings.

Crapcan racing (e.g. LeMons) seems like a blast too.

The actual costs of consumables is a little high for the S550 platform. You need big/expensive tires, hot pads, frequent oil changes, etc.

Don't get me wrong; I still love the car. It's incredible thrill for the cost. Even the FP350S is pretty good bang for the buck.

Sponsored

Supercup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT4, Z/28 - Shelby FP350s (future)
Here are a few links to information on the Shelby FP350s, a video from the introduction and a video of the test car headed down the front straight at a local track. The cars could be ordered over the Ford parts counter. All 50 have been allocated and they have a substantial waiting list. They are all to be built in the 3rd quarter this year with deliveries estimated to be in October (but no firm dates issued yet for build completion or delivery). I was lucky enough to get allocated one of the 50 cars.

I know pricing has been discussed - the price at $114,995 it is a lot for a Mustang, but for a limited run factory built race car, it is a good value. For perspective this is what we paid for Porsche 996 Cup cars in 2005 new. As noted above the Caymen GT4 Clubsports were $165k, but you have to add $12K for shipping, local tax, and $3k +/- for import duty - so to your door you were looking at $193k, that was not a value. You can buy a 997.1 Cup for under $100k and a 997.2 Cup well sorted for similar price to the Mustang.

There are lots of options to choose from in this price range. Cup cars trade on hours on motor and history, rebuilds for motors are now $35k-$45k. So you may buy one for $70k, but you will put another $50k - $60k into it to be fresh and ready to go. That will get you 150 + hours of fun.

To get a new race car, 2 extra sets of wheels for $125k ready to race is not a bad deal and cost to operate will defineately be less than a Cup car!

link: https://performanceparts.ford.com/FP350S/

link: http://performance.ford.com/series/.../ford-performance-reveals-shelby--fp350s.html
gallery-1481235045-img-2445.JPG
landscape-1481233935-img-2446.JPG

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
If they don't make enough, the price doesn't matter. Because you still can't get one. Are these allocated to dealers, who can add ADM?

If I was Ford, I would sell them to everyone and maybe take on Mazda as the most frequently raced car in America.

F0J

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
François
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Aren't these built by hand at Multimatic? That would greatly affect the number of cars that can be delivered.

I'm curious to know how much weight they were able to shed.

I'm also hoping they make an even cheaper spec.

Supercup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT4, Z/28 - Shelby FP350s (future)
Aren't these built by hand at Multimatic? That would greatly affect the number of cars that can be delivered.

I'm curious to know how much weight they were able to shed.

I'm also hoping they make an even cheaper spec.
That is in fact the limiting factor, assembling parts for 50 cars, build all at once, with limited resources to go around. So they can't build as many cars as they have buyers. I do hear some dealers are adding ADM, but race car market is a lot thinner that street car market, so probably not all that much room there. Ford Performance wants to see these cars on the track, not in a museum!

No word on weight yet - hopeful they can get down to 3,400 or less. But they have given no spec on weight or on motor HP other than one comment I got from team member that motor will be 100 hp + up from Boss 302's.

Anyone know what the hp of the boss 302s and r were/are?
Sponsored