corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Is there any way to insulate the exhaust piping where they pass by the diff? No need to add any heat gain to the diff or even to the air in its immediate vicinity if diff heat is a known issue here.

Norm
Sponsored

OP
OP
Brent Dalton

Brent Dalton

Sua Sponte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
yeah, mine are fairly close to that little sensor (which is at the very bottom of the diff case, close to the exhaust! duhh!).

Thanks on the congrats. I can't wait for it... hopefully by xmas
'16 GT PP covers are tapped and plugged for the cooler lines. I am in for a kit when available. Does anyone know the part # for the Ford cooler matrix?
Steve
So I was looking through my build thread to pass along some coilover info. a member was asking about, and realized I had this picture:

It doesn't look like the borla's are too too close to the sensor, but probably would benefit from some exhaust wrap or heat shielding. And sure enough... you can see in the pictures of the plugged port for a diff cooler!

Gatorac

Chin Tack Days Event Mgr
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium GTPP Triple Yellow
Are those just the fill and drain plugs or something else? Hopefully something else and a sign of options to come to keep pace with the Camaro.

OP
OP
Brent Dalton

Brent Dalton

Sua Sponte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Are those just the fill and drain plugs or something else? Hopefully something else and a sign of options to come to keep pace with the Camaro.
I was talking about the port above the sensor. Kind of hard to see in the picture.

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
So I was looking through my build thread to pass along some coilover info. a member was asking about, and realized I had this picture:

It doesn't look like the borla's are too too close to the sensor, but probably would benefit from some exhaust wrap or heat shielding. And sure enough... you can see in the pictures of the plugged port for a diff cooler!
Shelby w/ TP (cooler) has different rear cover. It uses the drain plug for hot out line and that flat spot just lower left of fill plug is where the return line from the cooler goes. Why we have a rear cover on order :) Ford uses a quick disconnect to drain fluid out. The reason for three holes and not two (our original plan) is so when you fill the system you can cycle the pump and still have the plug out to check the level. Ford uses scan tool to force pump on during service, but relay is in BAT Dist Box so after reading the logic I think just turning the car on and taking the temp sensor plug off will trigger the pump...or light up the dash. I'm struggling with making it work on 15's and 16's but I think the 15's may be easier (because starting from scratch) 16's need to tap into stock temp sensor (piggy back it) and hopefully not throw the CAN into a fit lighting up the dash :tsk: The easy way it to just plumb a separate switch in our plumbing but I like the hard way better.

Those thinking about using the factory loop, couple things: It communicates over the CAN Bus (1 of 3-4) to the PCM, it actually varies the pump speed depending on temp and how fast or slow it is or isn't cooling down (PID Control) plus has fault detection built in. It's a slick system but only if the software is already in the car. You can use the factory stuff and just power the pump manually but you will need to either have it on a switched relay or sense temp to turn it on. We don't like it because it needs to be in free air and requires different under body aero to work.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Brent Dalton

Brent Dalton

Sua Sponte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I'm still confused. :) The port I am pointing out is to the lower left of the fill port. I guess you may be talking about one even closer to the fill port? Do you have a picture of the GT350 cover by chance? If not, I may start browsing the GT350 forum when I get a chance. Either way, glad there are easy, cost effective solutions out there and look forward to what the community come up with.

apex15stangPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Mishimoto

May need to start with the other end of the car!!!

GTF1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP Race Red
This is my first time in a forum, but I had too. I purchased my 2016 GT PP a month a go. I'm a track fanatic with more than 600 laps at Road Atlanta. Waited to hit 1000 miles in the car and finally last weekend had my first track day on this car at Road atlanta with Chin Motorsports. Short story in the warm up section the car felt great and I was very impressed thinking I would do a low 1:40's right way.

Well on my first session first lap posted 1:48, in the second lap in the back straight at 140mph I get " Axle Over temperature, reduce speed" I was very frustrated because I sold my Evo X after having reliability issues a the track due to high powered turbo engine, which is the reason I bought this Mustang to have plenty of without forced induction stuff. I got the code P183E " Differential oil over temperature". My car has is 100% stock no Exhaust no Intake and could not do 2 laps at RA with only 1400 miles. There were 3 others 2015 GT PP at the track and nobody has ever seen that before

I called the dealer and they have not idea so I guess this forum is my only hope.

OP
OP
Brent Dalton

Brent Dalton

Sua Sponte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
This is my first time in a forum, but I had too. I purchased my 2016 GT PP a month a go. I'm a track fanatic with more than 600 laps at Road Atlanta. Waited to hit 1000 miles in the car and finally last weekend had my first track day on this car at Road atlanta with Chin Motorsports. Short story in the warm up section the car felt great and I was very impressed thinking I would do a low 1:40's right way.

Well on my first session first lap posted 1:48, in the second lap in the back straight at 140mph I get " Axle Over temperature, reduce speed" I was very frustrated because I sold my Evo X after having reliability issues a the track due to high powered turbo engine, which is the reason I bought this Mustang to have plenty of without forced induction stuff. I got the code P183E " Differential oil over temperature". My car has is 100% stock no Exhaust no Intake and could not do 2 laps at RA with only 1400 miles. There were 3 others 2015 GT PP at the track and nobody has ever seen that before

I called the dealer and they have not idea so I guess this forum is my only hope.
Did you have traction control and advancetrac off?

I have another track event this weekend and will report back if I run into the issue again.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Brent Dalton

Brent Dalton

Sua Sponte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Also of note, the ngauge currently does not display diff fluid temp either. I may see if they can find it and add it in. For reference, I tried a Bluetooth OBD II reader with the torque app previously and It doesn't show up. The PID shows up as not supported.

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP

And this is why I'm glad I have a '15. I wouldn't have let it ruin your weekend. LOL at the Dealer, the system works exactly how the Ford Service Manual describes the operation. The sensor let's the PCM know when it starts approaching 300F. It sets a code if it hits the 290's. Everyone gets that right? It's a method for Ford to track use of the cars. All the speed data is logged (peaks anyway) and this is one more tool they can use.

Nothing is different from the '15's, no light, no problem. Same axle, same car same use. Put a quality 75W90 in it and go enjoy it. It is not indicating a problem, it's indicating a metric for Ford. Change the oil out after a high speed track weekend. It is supposed to be changed after the first hour of track use anyway. Then every 12 track hours.

Just because they never monitored this before doesn't mean they didn't get really hot. Wonder what the temps look liked in a GT500 after 20 minutes well driven, think of the torque driving through a weaker 8.8. :eyebulge:

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
I'm still confused. :) The port I am pointing out is to the lower left of the fill port. I guess you may be talking about one even closer to the fill port? Do you have a picture of the GT350 cover by chance? If not, I may start browsing the GT350 forum when I get a chance. Either way, glad there are easy, cost effective solutions out there and look forward to what the community come up with.
Sorry Brent, I forgot to answer this, I was in a hotel room in ATL Monday when I saw this and didn't have "that" laptop. The pictures should illustrate what the differences are.
1462506304.2015 Rear Cover.jpg
2016 Rear Cover w Cooler 1.jpg
2016 Rear Cover w Cooler 2.jpg

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have a 15, so no temp sensor. Why don't you guys just unscrew the sensor and plug the hole. Zip tie the sensor out the way.
Sponsored