CG Lock or 4 Point Harness

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I can confirm that the little belt lock works great for autocross, as well as still allowing the shoulder portion to move out of the retractor.
Sponsored

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
I love my Schroth Quick Fit Pro. I would rather have the full setup, bar-seat-harness, but I have a true dual (triple?) purpose car. I race it, I take the kid (soon to be kids) to Mustang Club events, and I rally/GT with it.

Until someone comes out with a bar that mounts like the Watson convertible bar with a removable harness bar, I won't have one.

One thing I could use is much better seat bolstering. I have OEM leather and while comfy, they let the parts of me not cinched down flop about. I just have a problem giving up my very functional cooled seats, lol.

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
[MENTION=10281]BmacIL[/MENTION] how do those locking clips actually work?i.e. where do they attach?
[MENTION=23555]F0J[/MENTION] the only real issue I see with the quick fit is a roll over situation. Every other situation is safer than a 3 point *if a HANS is being used*. Your comment about an airbag being dangerous with a full face helmet baffles me though. How can this be the case?

I have a Hans and felt safe as houses and with my 6 point schroth and totally at one with the car when flying around the track in my GT3. However a cage is not something I'll be adding to my S550. I'm still yet to decide which course of action I will take however the locking clips seem like a good option.

F0J

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
François
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
@BmacIL how do those locking clips actually work?i.e. where do they attach?
@F0J the only real issue I see with the quick fit is a roll over situation. Every other situation is safer than a 3 point *if a HANS is being used*. Your comment about an airbag being dangerous with a full face helmet baffles me though. How can this be the case?

I have a Hans and felt safe as houses with my 6 point schroth when flying around the track in my GT3 however a cage is not something I'll be adding to my S550. I'm still yet to decide which course of action I will take however the locking clips seem like a good option.
These are some relevant conclusions I came to:

Increased chance of submarining in a 4pt because the shoulder belts are tighter.

Something about the angle of the belts not being ideal when installing the 4pt to the rear seats as opposed to straight behind you around a roll cage bar (possibly leading to even higher chance of submarining).

Increased chance of injury in a roll over (I personally think this is a stretch).

Increased chance of jaw dislocation if an airbag deploys when you're wearing a full face helmet. There's also the whole idea that the weight increase of the helmet could be a pretty big deal when bouncing around in the airbags.

HANS is a net win.

It really comes down to the types of risk and how hard you'll push the car. The point I'm trying to make on this specific thread is just to be aware at the change of risks when installing 4pt. I plan on *really* pushing the car so a 6pt + roll cage makes sense. Even if it means that I break my toddler son's heart that he can't ride in the car anymore, well, safely.

The clip just scares me but I understand why one would try it out.

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
[MENTION=23555]F0J[/MENTION] all fair points and if my car was a keeper I would be doing the same as you minus airbag deletes. I tend to disagree about the airbag issue with a full faced helmet though. If the helmet is sized correctly for your noggin it should not move around on your head/face at all from an external force.

This is another option in addition to the clip method for those simply wanting to prevent movement in the seat.

https://www.amazon.com/G-Force-4290RD-Red-Torso-Harness/dp/B0059J99EU?th=1&psc=1

Although, it would be very difficult to strap that around the back of the seat and your chest without a helper. It may also lock you in enough to the point where the rollover situation is a problem as with usIng a full harness without a cage.

Sponsored

Supercup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT4, Z/28 - Shelby FP350s (future)
If you go 4 points I think the Brey Krause Harness bar and Schroth PROFI II - FE ASM
SCH-20070 4 point belts are your best bet. They are both FIA AND DOT approved and have anti submarine tech worked into them. Not as good as a cage, race seat and 6 pt system with Hans. But for HPDE to better hold you into your seat this is a reasonably priced option.

If you want the clip in clips you have to order them that way. The clips has a place for them to be safety wired so clip will not open. this allows easier in and out and the clip right onto the Brey Krause harness bar

Link BK Harness bar:http://www.bkauto.com/R_1180_Mustang_Harness_Mount_Bar_p/r-1180.htm

Link - Schroth: https://www.subesports.com/schroth/profi-ii-fe-asm/sch-20070

The Profi II-FE ASM is designed to be used as a four point system for street legal usage incorporating the required red push-button release design. For this reason it is perfect for use in Driver Education cars or any other application where stock seats are retained. A seat that was not originally desiged for use with a racing restraint should never be modified to accept an sub strap. The Profi II ASM incorporates Schroth's legendary ASM (Anti-SubMarining) technology that is the only thing like it on the market. ASM is an extra fold of material sewn into the inboard shoulder belt that elongates at a different rate than the outboard belt. This allows your upper torso to twist slightly. On the rebound phase, your torso is planted firmly back in the seat rather than allowed to slide under the lap belt. Features 3" polyester webbing at the shoulders and 2" polyester webbing at the lap belts, lightweight adjusters, and a push-button operated RFR rotary buckle. The 2" lap belt's notable feature is that it rides within the crest of the human pelvis where a 3" belt would rest on the edges. This allows you to get the belt up to an inch and a half tighter. That means the lap belt will be working earlier in the accident event because it gets loaded faster. It's also more comfortable and easier to adjust becuase there's less friction through the adjuster. The lap belt cofiguration is a pull-down adjustment with a sewn in bolt/in end. Dual or sigle substraps can be added to make it into a six or five point configuration. Shoulders come in 70" length. SFI 16.1, DOT, and FIA approved. Available in red, blue, black, and silver.
Z - belts 1.jpg
Z belts.jpg

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=10281]BmacIL[/MENTION] how do those locking clips actually work?i.e. where do they attach?
[MENTION=23555]F0J[/MENTION] the only real issue I see with the quick fit is a roll over situation. Every other situation is safer than a 3 point *if a HANS is being used*. Your comment about an airbag being dangerous with a full face helmet baffles me though. How can this be the case?

I have a Hans and felt safe as houses and with my 6 point schroth and totally at one with the car when flying around the track in my GT3. However a cage is not something I'll be adding to my S550. I'm still yet to decide which course of action I will take however the locking clips seem like a good option.
You put your belt on and pull it up tight. Then pinch the lap portion and shoulder belt portion together with finger and thumb, hold tight, and unbuckle the belt. Then put the clip on, which holds the belts together there in that location right by the buckle. It does NOT prevent the belt from coming further out of the retractor, it only keeps the lap portion a fixed length, holding you tight in the seat. Far better than nothing. If you are a larger guy and have the recaro seats, not much of a need, as you're snug in there. It would still help a little, just near as much.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Just throwing this out there. Don't buy a 5 point, get a 6 point unless you don't want kids.

There are 2 guys I know personally who have crashed with their 5 point and to save the horrific details have had their family jewels, "pop".

Unfortunately it's a common outcome as well.
+2 six point ftw

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I have a CG lock from previous cars and it didn't fit over the mustang seat belt. Is there a newer version that is a little larger?

Right now, I just do the "fast pull" on the belt to get it to lock, and then I move my seat forward so it stays tight.
I was doing fast pull and load it until I caught air coming out of turn 3 at TWS and it slipped as the car launched the rise. Not a pleasant surprise to be loose in the seat at those speed unexpectedly.
You can cleanly grind the tang edges of a CG Lock to fit the stang.
I was previously sliding seat back and then doing two twists in belt and then slide forward till very tight. Keep a belt cutter strapped close as red button may be hard to release belt especially if hand broken.
I went back to double twist but have resigned to getting a four or likely 6 point cage, seats and 6 point belts and fire system. Lets be realistic, these are faster and heavier than race cars from 10 years ago. A 90 mph snap roll with no cage or full gear and arm restraints may end both your driving and work career.

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
I was doing fast pull and load it until I caught air coming out of turn 3 at TWS and it slipped as the car launched the rise. Not a pleasant surprise to be loose in the seat at those speed unexpectedly.
I was previously sliding seat back and then doing two twists in belt and then slide forward till very tight. Keep a belt cutter strapped close as red button may be hard to release belt especially if hand broken.
I went back to double twist but have resigned to getting a four or likely 6 point cage, seats and 6 point belts and fire system. Lets be realistic, these are faster and heavier than race cars from 10 years ago. A 90 mph snap roll with no cage or full gear and arm restraints may end both your driving and work career.
I loved the feeling of being loosey goosey, dukes of hazard style, coming over turn 3...until I landed it a hair off line. Started shopping for equipment as soon as I got to the paddock.

I had a 6pt in my 15, but really don't want to limit the car like that bar did. Autopower bars are the best at dual purpose- but their mounting methods suck. If Watson could hear my cries for a modified convertible bar with removable harness bar I would be in heaven!

For not I am doing well with the Schroth QFP, soon a Hans, and probably a seat in my future.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Use the seat belt locking clip I posted on the previous page instead of the fast pull. Achieves the same result as the CG Lock and costs $8.
[MENTION=29474]spiller[/MENTION] I'll take a picture today of how it looks installed, both unlatched and in the buckle (for this one you'll have to excuse my pudge lol).

Must_Tang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gone-2016 Mustang GT Premium
I couldn't get the CGLock to "bite" on the Mustangs seat belt buckle. It kept slipping off, so I returned them and went with the Schroth Quick Fit harnesses. Love the Schroth units.

M3Convert

American Muscle Noob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Deep Impact Blue GT Premium
Volleyball knee pads outside your knees are a useful addition to keeping you centered, and your feet more centered over the pedals when you are knee-gripping, arse-puckering or both. :)

I have a Schroth 4-point QuickFit Pro. I love it after trying the belt clip followed Schroth Rallye 3 harness. This device is coupled with a permanent Yuengling/BBQ anti-submarine pad. It was a sacrifice I was prepared to make for my art.

beermaternity_2-496x700.jpg

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Use the seat belt locking clip I posted on the previous page instead of the fast pull. Achieves the same result as the CG Lock and costs $8.
[MENTION=29474]spiller[/MENTION] I'll take a picture today of how it looks installed, both unlatched and in the buckle (for this one you'll have to excuse my pudge lol).
See pics
0615171143_HDR.jpg
0615171143.jpg

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
[MENTION=10281]BmacIL[/MENTION] thanks for the pics. I can certainly now tell how it works and I'm eager to try it out. I have a feeling I have a couple of these lying around from the various child car seats we have for our daughter!
Sponsored