CG Lock or 4 Point Harness

F0J

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
François
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Hey and look, don't get me wrong - I am all for race car shenanigans. But I still think it's important that people understand the limits of the car before going 10/10ths around a circuit. If you're going to use the Schroth, you should know what you're changing to the overall system. Not soo sure about 8$ belt tensioners though lol. Not sure I'd trust that mid-apex the way I drive the car.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Hey and look, don't get me wrong - I am all for race car shenanigans. But I still think it's important that people understand the limits of the car before going 10/10ths around a circuit. If you're going to use the Schroth, you should know what you're changing to the overall system. Not soo sure about 8$ belt tensioners though lol. Not sure I'd trust that mid-apex the way I drive the car.
It's much better than nothing with the stock 3-point belt. It just simply locks your lap belt down firmly. There's a big difference in how much I move around the seat with and without. If you have recaros your upper torso is probably locked in pretty well already.

F0J

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
François
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
It's much better than nothing with the stock 3-point belt. It just simply locks your lap belt down firmly. There's a big difference in how much I move around the seat with and without. If you have recaros your upper torso is probably locked in pretty well already.
I do have the Recaros and .. well I've only been at the track once with my S550 and after only about 16 laps, I was physically spent from driving the car. I'm not in the best of shape (recovering from a serious infection) but I really didn't expect it to be such a factor. I feel like I was driving hard enough that it warrants all the things I've described. As race stuff usually cascades, it means changing a good chunk of the car.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I do have the Recaros and .. well I've only been at the track once with my S550 and after only about 16 laps, I was physically spent from driving the car. I'm not in the best of shape (recovering from a serious infection) but I really didn't expect it to be such a factor. I feel like I was driving hard enough that it warrants all the things I've described. As race stuff usually cascades, it means changing a good chunk of the car.
I think you'd be pleasantly surprised how well that $8 works (and there's two of them, so $4). If it doesn't help you, you didn't waste hardly anything.

GT350Brakes.com

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
GT350 TP
Just throwing this out there. Don't buy a 5 point, get a 6 point unless you don't want kids.

There are 2 guys I know personally who have crashed with their 5 point and to save the horrific details have had their family jewels, "pop".

Unfortunately it's a common outcome as well.

Sponsored

c_reber

REB3R
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
`16 Mustang GT (PP), `15 X5 50i
I have a CG lock from previous cars and it didn't fit over the mustang seat belt. Is there a newer version that is a little larger?

Right now, I just do the "fast pull" on the belt to get it to lock, and then I move my seat forward so it stays tight.

F0J

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
François
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Just throwing this out there. Don't buy a 5 point, get a 6 point unless you don't want kids.

There are 2 guys I know personally who have crashed with their 5 point and to save the horrific details have had their family jewels, "pop".

Unfortunately it's a common outcome as well.
YIKES

Duly noted.

Funny I was just thinking about that re: submarining. Man.. your junk would take a beating.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I have a CG lock from previous cars and it didn't fit over the mustang seat belt. Is there a newer version that is a little larger?

Right now, I just do the "fast pull" on the belt to get it to lock, and then I move my seat forward so it stays tight.
I could never get the fast pull method to be consistent. Using the belt lock I posted above is as effective as CG Lock and much cheaper.

saf1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack
From moving around in the Recaro's? I have them and they fit like a glove, too much so in my opinion. Only thing my better half dislikes about the car during long road trips. My fear when tracking the car is the factory clutch / manual. That seems like it may be a bit much ;)

Edit: Isn't the factory seat belt supposed to give or yield a bit before locking? Wouldn't this locking device prevent that from happening?

F0J

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
François
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
From moving around in the Recaro's? I have them and they fit like a glove, too much so in my opinion. Only thing my better half dislikes about the car during long road trips.

My fear when tracking the car is the factory clutch / manual. That seems like it may be a bit much ;)
The Recaros are so comfy I'll miss them when I swap them for race buckets. My wife doesn't like them because the bolsters get in the way of her arms when she drives the car.

I'll take in-car video of my next track session - harnesses exist for a reason ya know ;)

Sponsored

F0J

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
François
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Edit: Isn't the factory seat belt supposed to give or yield a bit before locking? Wouldn't this locking device prevent that from happening?
Yes. And the Schroth's "anti-submarining" tech is exactly that, just to a lesser degree than the OEM.

saf1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack
The Recaros are so comfy I'll miss them when I swap them for race buckets. My wife doesn't like them because the bolsters get in the way of her arms when she drives the car.

I'll take in-car video of my next track session - harnesses exist for a reason ya know ;)
Please do take video if you have the time. I've been scouring the various forums watching them all. I sort of feel like a stalker sometimes - lol. But honestly, I enjoy you guys taking them. Always looks like you guys/gals are having fun.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
From moving around in the Recaro's? I have them and they fit like a glove, too much so in my opinion. Only thing my better half dislikes about the car during long road trips. My fear when tracking the car is the factory clutch / manual. That seems like it may be a bit much ;)

No actually. It can come further out of the B pillar pocket but the way this lock is installed it just will keep constant tension at the lap belt.

F0J

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
François
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
No actually. It can come further out of the B pillar pocket but the way this lock is installed it just will keep constant tension at the lap belt.
Now you have me looking up the workshop manual and playing around in the car.. per:

Emergency Locking Retractor (ELR)

All retractors have an Emergency Locking Retractor (ELR) mode, which is a vehicle-sensitive feature designed to activate and lock the safety belt webbing during hard braking, cornering, or an impact of approximately 25 km/h. The Emergency Locking Retractor (ELR) feature helps reduce the forward movement of the drive and passengers.

Automatic Locking Retractor (ALR)

The Automatic Locking Retractor (ALR) mode is used when locking a child seat in any passenger seating position. The Automatic Locking Retractor (ALR) mode automatically activates when the safety belt webbing is fully extracted from the retractor and then allowed to retract. As the safety belt webbing retracts back onto the spool, an audible clicking sound is made, indicating the safety belt retractor is in Automatic Locking Retractor (ALR) mode and the safety belt webbing cannot pull back out of the safety belt retractor. The Automatic Locking Retractor (ALR) mode disengages when the webbing is allowed to fully retract back into the retractor.
So there are wires running to the "Anchor Pretensioner" (the thing by your butt towards the outside) and the "Belt Retractor and Pretensioner" (where the belt starts behind). It doesn't really say more about how the whole system functions. By my guess though, there's a little give in both though most of the magic must come from the belt retractor and pretensioner.
Sponsored