corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Thanks for the props, M3. In fairness to firestarter, I had well over 200 laps at Thunderbolt under my belt at the time that video was taken, session 2 lap 5. And it was a bit cooler that day - kinder to the tires - being on an unusually warm for December day (ultimately 70°-ish!).

One thing about the Octopus that I kind of had to figure out on my own was that if you're NOT running a LOT of camber, you'll want to put the left tires just off the gators rather than on them. The curb height takes about a degree of camber out of the right side tires' cornering situation and in exchange for needlessly beating them up you get to go a little slower. I'm also getting sharply off the brakes for T9, sometimes my timing for this is better than it is other times <sigh>

Norm
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
firestarter2

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Thanks for the props, M3. In fairness to firestarter, I had well over 200 laps at Thunderbolt under my belt at the time that video was taken, session 2 lap 5. And it was a bit cooler that day - kinder to the tires - being on an unusually warm for December day (ultimately 70°-ish!).

One thing about the Octopus that I kind of had to figure out on my own was that if you're NOT running a LOT of camber, you'll want to put the left tires just off the gators rather than on them. The curb height takes about a degree of camber out of the right side tires' cornering situation and in exchange for needlessly beating them up you get to go a little slower. I'm also getting sharply off the brakes for T9, sometimes my timing for this is better than it is other times <sigh>

Norm
I am new I have no ego I can always learn, your video helps I can compare it to mine. I find watching videos before ive run a track dont help me as much as watching after.

I noticed in the straights I was on the gas before you, im not sure if that was because I had more grip or I was just being more reckless. :D

I want to get back on the track before the end of this season If I could get a 1:38 open track ill be happy with that.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I noticed in the straights I was on the gas before you, im not sure if that was because I had more grip or I was just being more reckless. :D
I know that part of that is me. I don't hardly have a drag-racing bone in my body, but I do have about 50 years of trying to be smooth, so just stomping on the skinny pedal does not come easy. Or perhaps at all. It's one of at least two things I need to keep working on. On a datalog plot, the beginning of upward swings of longitudinal acceleration (yellow trace) need to be a little steeper.

picture.jpg

Then there's the matter of my car having only a FRPP-tuned 4.6L, and its 100% OE exhaust is still in place. I've got an X-pipe to try out that may help things audibly, but it's probably still going to be pretty quiet for a track car and harder to pick out early throttle application than it would be for anything louder.

I want to get back on the track before the end of this season If I could get a 1:38 open track ill be happy with that.
A little more time on the track and you'll get there (and then some).

Oh, hell . . . just because I found it. From a year earlier when the tires were a couple of events fresher. :D

Youtube file = S-mQ10OceOY

(in the mid-37's)

Norm

Last edited:

the5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT
I can't find this video.

What sort of lap times were you running?

Norm
Had a best of 1:29.75 in the video, Later I dropped to around a 1:29.2. The car was understeering badly, Needed to soften the sway.

Here is the direct Link-

Interesting line. There is a guy with a GT with Race tires he runs a line similar to yours. Is that a function of the additionally grip?
I would say so, Also in the carousel I like to get my wheels on the Curbing as I run lots of camber.

You came up on those Vetts pretty quick there towards the end and it didn't look like the blue one motioned you by (or I didn't see it). I'm guessing you guys are in the top tiers of these how do you handle those situations?

More questions I know, sorry. Looks fun so just trying to see what sort of event it is to maybe visit one in the area (I'm near Willow's and Sears Point). Also understand more about what the beginner requirements are to maybe take my daily driver with.

Believe it or not it is a lot of fun just watching them to see it through your guys/gals eyes/videos.
Watched the video, He did motion me by quickly. But usually people in the advance groups know and give you room, If you look up and see a car in your mirror that wasn't there before they are probably faster than you!

This event was an SCCA Track night, Nice and cheap laid back track day.
https://www.tracknightinamerica.com/

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Had a best of 1:29.75 in the video, Later I dropped to around a 1:29.2. The car was understeering badly, Needed to soften the sway.

Here is the direct Link-
Nice, thanks. Eventually, firestarter should get closer to your times than I'm ever likely to in this car.

I would say so, Also in the carousel I like to get my wheels on the Curbing as I run lots of camber.
It's definitely a faster line through 9 when you can let yourself exit a little earlier to grab onto 10's curbing. But I still wonder if running just off 10's curbing is slightly faster overall, even though it costs a little T9 speed, Aim Solo has me above 50 all the way through 10 and a mph or two above 60 at the (very late) cone.

I do need to run some TNiA events. Weekday get-aways aren't a problem any more.

Norm

Sponsored

the5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT
Nice, thanks. Eventually, firestarter should get closer to your times than I'm ever likely to in this car.

It's definitely a faster line through 9 when you can let yourself exit a little earlier to grab onto 10's curbing. But I still wonder if running just off 10's curbing is slightly faster overall, even though it costs a little T9 speed, Aim Solo has me above 50 all the way through 10 and a mph or two above 60 at the (very late) cone.

I do need to run some TNiA events. Weekday get-aways aren't a problem any more.

Norm
I could send you my aim data if you would like to see, In that section hp shouldn't matter too much.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I could send you my aim data if you would like to see, In that section hp shouldn't matter too much.
Yes, please do. What were you running for street tires?

PM coming, and if you want to see my data (if I can pick the right data files out - I think there's four different ones for each collection of laps) I'll return the favor.

Norm

JamesinLittleSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Ecoboost Premium
Thanks for the videos Norm. You run a lot tighter tighter through the octopus than my last instructor suggested, though about what my first couple suggested. Everyone has a different line I guess for those turns.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Thanks for the videos Norm. You run a lot tighter tighter through the octopus than my last instructor suggested, though about what my first couple suggested.
I once figured out that I'd need to be able to run about 2 mph faster on a one-car-width wider line there, with marginally less road camber to help me get there. Plus, with no more than about 320 ft*lbs on tap (and maybe another 5 from the FRPP tune), my GT is somewhat closer to being a 'momentum car' than the Coyote and Voodoo powered cars.

Norm

M3Convert

American Muscle Noob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Deep Impact Blue GT Premium
I once figured out that I'd need to be able to run about 2 mph faster on a one-car-width wider line there, with marginally less road camber to help me get there. Plus, with no more than about 320 ft*lbs on tap (and maybe another 5 from the FRPP tune), my GT is somewhat closer to being a 'momentum car' than the Coyote and Voodoo powered cars.

Norm
Unnamed/unremembered instructor quote:

"All cars are momentum cars. Big torque just hides bad technique" :cheers:

One instructor told me to run my front left tire on the inside curbing of the Octopus, the added grip reduced understeer and also released you nicely for the straight under the bridge. He learned that from an ALMS LMP driver. It does hook up...one just needs a consistent entry or you lose speed looking for it. Ask me how I know!! :headbonk:

Sponsored
OP
OP
firestarter2

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Unnamed/unremembered instructor quote:

"All cars are momentum cars. Big torque just hides bad technique" :cheers:

One instructor told me to run my front left tire on the inside curbing of the Octopus, the added grip reduced understeer and also released you nicely for the straight under the bridge. He learned that from an ALMS LMP driver. It does hook up...one just needs a consistent entry or you lose speed looking for it. Ask me how I know!! :headbonk:
I need to work on consistency, and using reference points

ArrestmeRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang
I believe I saw you there! I was only there on the 18th but that track was a blast. I was in the HPDE1 group since Ive never raced there before. By the end of the day they let me run by myself though. What were you using to record your times?

OP
OP
firestarter2

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Harrys track timer with a external GPS. I will be using it again this weekend.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Firestarter - I hope my newbie attempt at using Race Render can be of some use, and that I can remember what it took to get this far.

[ame]

Video doesn't seem to be embedding properly and I don't know how to fix it. Youtube file = LQWLtZjjoYs

Norm

Last edited:

JamesinLittleSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Ecoboost Premium
I believe I saw you there! I was only there on the 18th but that track was a blast. I was in the HPDE1 group since Ive never raced there before. By the end of the day they let me run by myself though. What were you using to record your times?
Did you have my instructor (Brian) on Sunday? He said he had another Mustang on Sunday.
Sponsored