Sponsored

Parking the GT350R in a garage

Sunny_M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
Hey there my friends, I am a little nervous about parking the GT350R in my apartment's underground garage due to the dips and the possibility of scratching the front lip. Anyone have any suggestions and/or experienced this? I had a 2016 Z06 and never had an issue, but something tells me that the 350R may be a little worse.

Thanks everyone.
Sponsored

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
Hey there my friends, I am a little nervous about parking the GT350R in my apartment's underground garage due to the dips and the possibility of scratching the front lip. Anyone have any suggestions and/or experienced this? I had a 2016 Z06 and never had an issue, but something tells me that the 350R may be a little worse.

Thanks everyone.
I've got a condo with underground parking and a lowered mustang coming from a lowered BMW and a lowered Vette. So I've had to do some research.

Get a friend to spot your approach and entrance into the garage. If it's too aggressive try backing in. If you still have abrasions, decide if they are a structural risk or you can take the abuse for some time before changing out the part taking the abuse.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Scratching the R splitter is inevitable. Short of pulling it or swapping the lesser-than-R GT350 splitter, consider it a consumable and keep your eyes peeled for any great deals you see on a backup R splitter. Beyond that, proceed with caution, always wary of any conditions that could do much more than just scuff.

Last edited:

MustangGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, LB / White OTT
This is one of the biggest issues of the R and I drive around with my head on a swivel and a lot of times do a drive-by of a road I need to turn onto (such as a shopping plaza) before making the turn... I also scope out where I need to exit the lot at. It certainly makes trips more entertaining, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. Wife has been conditioned to watch for crazy entries and exits also.

Some guys have put on the standard GT350 splitter for daily driving and put the R splitter on for the track.. not sure if that's a viable option for you. Other than that, the only other thing you could try is making the approach smoother with a board or boards, but that adds the complication of getting them out, whether you can leave them in place, and if not, where to store them (and if you can store them in a place for easy access when you need them).

And if all else fails, I have a friend with an R who just kept his front splitter off the entire time he owned the car (2K miles). Not what I would do, but hey, he never damaged it! :D

If I scratch the splitter, I could care less. I'll just eventually buy another and chalk it up to the cost of driving the car. But I'm going to do everything I can to prevent any contact with it whatsoever.

chitlins37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Magnetic GT350R / 70' Buick Skylark
Scratching the R splitter is inevitable. Short of pulling it or swapping the lesser-than-R GT350, consider it a consumable and keep your eyes peeled for any great deals you see on a backup R splitter. Beyond that, proceed with caution, always wary of any conditions that could do much more than just scuff.
45 degree is your new favorite angle....and on occasion you may have to get damn near parallel as you cross deeper dips.

One tip that was passed to me by a mover for my driveway angle was keep a couple of towels (he said moving pads) in the trunk and put them down in the dip where your tires will cross it. Should work like a charm.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

Thanks everyone.
As suggested, get a friend and spot it out. If it doesn't work, I have a standard 350 splitter brand new in the box left over from my track pack. If you cant live with the stock R splitter, I would be happy to work out a fair trade. Otherwise, keep in mind that you can buy your own standard 350 splitter and keep your original as a backup.

Either way, you have options.

Etchhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R
I'm the minority here, but I think the clearance on the R is pretty good compared to my previous P-cars. I picked up the ZL1 protectors and will install before my trip this weekend. As others have said 45 degrees helps a lot!

OP
OP

Sunny_M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
From what I am hearing, I am guessing I am bound to scrape this unless I get a splitter protector?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
From what I am hearing, I am guessing I am bound to scrape this unless I get a splitter protector?
you better get used to scraping. the name of the game at this point is not destroying your splitter.

OP
OP

Sunny_M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
you better get used to scraping. the name of the game at this point is not destroying your splitter.
Yeah, true :(

The funny thing is my 2016 Z06 cleared just fine (albeit barley) so I would assume that the 350R would do the same unless the ride height is lower than a Z06 or the splitter is thicker?

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, true :(

The funny thing is my 2016 Z06 cleared just fine (albeit barley) so I would assume that the 350R would do the same unless the ride height is lower than a Z06 or the splitter is thicker?
It is trial and error. all the zl1 splitter washers are going to do is lower your clearance even more. Do a trial run and go from there. although the std 350 splitter is not optimal, it is an option if clearance is not there. The only time you really need the R splitter is for the track.

RickH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
GT350R HR333
I measured 4" clearance on the lowest spot of the "R" splitter. Already curbed it once and it's hard to tell where the front end is at when approaching a curb. First world problems:)

MustangGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, LB / White OTT
Is the bolt pattern identical on the R to and non-R? While I know people have been swapping them, I never looked at doing it.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Is the bolt pattern identical on the R to and non-R? While I know people have been swapping them, I never looked at doing it.
Yes, exactly the same bolt patterns.

H6G

IN OMNIA PARATVS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I definitely recommend the ZL1 washers. These washers are Carbon steel... and they can take a hit. They come with self tapping screws and are easy to install.
Sponsored