2017 gt350,2015 f350 lariat,05 Acura rsx,19 gt 10r80 on order

BDMACH1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
ok....cool! Brian, Brandon, and Wade are great guys! If you are taking your stuff to them, then you probably should be talking to Tony Bischoff@BES Racing Engines. Get with Terry & Brian about it, they will take good care of you!:thumbsup:

Bob

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
How about some flow numbers?

Blows my mind its so hard to get flow numbers and cam "custom grind" specs from vendors.

People building an engine dont want to guess..........
As for cam grinds, realize that you are asking for someone to give away what sets them apart from their competition. When it is an off the shelf grind that is pretty common, who cares. But when 1/10th of a second makes the difference in how much money you walk away with, folks tend to be protective in order to maintain their competitive edge.

Also, realize that others can pick up and copy their hard work if they have the means. I'd be pissed as hell if I spent thousands of dollars in research and development to have some douchebag copy my grind.

Though I agree about flow numbers but those are about as useful as HP ratings for aftermarket kits. There are variables like pressure which will skew data.

gearhead2685

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang
As for cam grinds, realize that you are asking for someone to give away what sets them apart from their competition. When it is an off the shelf grind that is pretty common, who cares. But when 1/10th of a second makes the difference in how much money you walk away with, folks tend to be protective in order to maintain their competitive edge.

Also, realize that others can pick up and copy their hard work if they have the means. I'd be pissed as hell if I spent thousands of dollars in research and development to have some douchebag copy my grind.

Though I agree about flow numbers but those are about as useful as HP ratings for aftermarket kits. There are variables like pressure which will skew data.
No im not asking for specs of the cams in their pro mod........Id dare say neither is anyone else here for a street car build either.

OP
OP
Saywhen

Saywhen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harley
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=19179]BDMACH1[/MENTION] thank you sir! I just got off the phone with wade. They are going to be getting started in the next couple days. Brian and beef are on vacation til next week. Your right I've talked to them on the phone and met Brian and Brandon Saturday and they were great. And I've talked to wade a million times. I'm "Georgia" to him lol. I'm sure they can get me hooked up on the heads but I'm not sure it's in my budget this go round. I talked to evil 5.0 on the phone a few days ago about head work too (another super jam up guy) he's really knowledgeable and mentioned a couple other things I should do first but dang it's tempting! This is phase 1, I'll be making more trips in the future as I get waves of parts in. I want to blow all my savings and go crazy, but that would be a ridiculous idea lol

Sponsored

BDMACH1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
[MENTION=19179]BDMACH1[/MENTION] thank you sir! I just got off the phone with wade. They are going to be getting started in the next couple days. Brian and beef are on vacation til next week. Your right I've talked to them on the phone and met Brian and Brandon Saturday and they were great. And I've talked to wade a million times. I'm "Georgia" to him lol. I'm sure they can get me hooked up on the heads but I'm not sure it's in my budget this go round. I talked to evil 5.0 on the phone a few days ago about head work too (another super jam up guy) he's really knowledgeable and mentioned a couple other things I should do first but dang it's tempting! This is phase 1, I'll be making more trips in the future as I get waves of parts in. I want to blow all my savings and go crazy, but that would be a ridiculous idea lol
OK...Great! I know what it's like to blow your savings and go crazy!:D

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels

The problem is that very few vendors list Coyote cam specs on their commonly sold cams for some reason, just some cryptic 'stage' nonsense or some such. I'm not sure why nobody can list the usual info (lift, duration, LSA) with the VCT out of the equation. IIRC, Comp is one of the few that offers actual numbers, who are my go-to on old school stuff.

Anyone with a Cam Doctor or equivalent device can buy one of these top secret cams and know what it is within minutes. But having to own equipment to select a damn camshaft is a crock.

As a former spare-time engine builder, I would never specify a cam without knowing all the specs for a customer build, not to mention one of my own....

RoadCone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange PP
I also told him BES!!

They did my last motor and are top notch.

OP
OP
Saywhen

Saywhen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harley
Vehicle(s)
^^^ yes sir!! He nailed it!

RoadCone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange PP
^^^ yes sir!! He nailed it!
Just a note, I went to BES website and looks like porting starts off around 2K with flow numbers posted. I'm sure Tony would work with you depending on what all you want. As discussed though, I would wait and do other needed areas so the total build holds together. Then when you do the motor, have headwork done. Thats my plan, but it does get tempting.:cheers:

Also thank you for the nice comments. I appreciate it. I just try to help others out as people have helped me.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Saywhen

Saywhen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harley
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the advice! And we need more forum members like you! I'll check his site out but I need some half shafts and a good driveshaft first. That'll be "phase 2" ;)

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
For S197 heads only, no specific data for S550 model.
Call jpc. They sell them under the s550 section with the engine for a reason. I've spoken to them prior about these. You can also call RGR directly.

As mentioned above BES is an option also. Accufab, RGR, BES, MPR. Wouldn't hesitate to use any for engine or head work.

gearhead2685

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang
What are the differemces in the S197 heads vs the S550 ones?

I know the valve springs and cams are different and maybe phasers too but are the actual cores different for the heads?

veeefour

Troll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT
What are the differemces in the S197 heads vs the S550 ones?

I know the valve springs and cams are different and maybe phasers too but are the actual cores different for the heads?
Different casting - especially for runners. Ford claims that S550 heads will flow as good as Boss CNC ported heads.
Sponsored