Sponsored

Oil pump swap - how long does it take?

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
I'm in the process of researching oil pan upgrades in order to reduce the likelihood of oil starvation on the track. Option 1 is the GT350 composite pan but this requires the GT350 high output oil pump to be swapped in as well.

How much labor is involved in the swap for a qualified shop? I have heard it can be done with the engine in the car but access can be difficult.

Option 2 is an aftermarket Moroso pan which is compatible with the factory coyote oil pump. I thought it would be nice to stick to OEM parts and the GT350 oil pump would be good to have if deciding to shoot for higher RPM in the future. All dependent upon installation costs, however.

Cheers
Sponsored

csmaan12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Oxford White
Last shop I visited told me about 4 hours, give or take for the OPG, engine in the car, from someone who has done them a few times. Why not go with any of the billet OPGs that are out there though? That's a hell of a job to get an OEM part that may be slightly stronger from GT350 as opposed to the billet options.

OP
OP
spiller

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
Last shop I visited told me about 4 hours, give or take for the OPG, engine in the car, from someone who has done them a few times. Why not go with any of the billet OPGs that are out there though? That's a hell of a job to get an OEM part that may be slightly stronger from GT350 as opposed to the billet options.
In my case billet would be overkill as I'll never be going FI. I may fit a GT350 IM and raise the rev limit at some stage. Obviously the 350 pump is up to that task. Obviously the only purpose for the 350 pump initially would be so I can run the sump to match (which is my main priority). I do see your point though. Do it once, do it right.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Get the billet oil pump gears. The gears are the only parts actually being replaced and GT350 guys are upgrading their OPG's as well so don't consider their oil pump an upgrade over the stock Coyote.

OP
OP
spiller

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
Get the billet oil pump gears. The gears are the only parts actually being replaced and GT350 guys are upgrading their OPG's as well so don't consider their oil pump an upgrade over the stock Coyote.
Why are the Voodoo guys upgrading? To run FI? I think I've settled on the Moroso oil pan for now which retains use of the Coyote pick up and pump, so going to billet in the future will be the way to go (if and when I need it).

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
The GT350 oil pump is apparently a higher output pump than the GT. I don't know how it can be considering it is my understanding that the OPG replacements for the GT350 pump are the same as the GT pump... but I could be (and probably am) wrong.

@OPMustang has done a little research into this. He can chime in, maybe.

Personally, given my road course preference over drag racing, I'd much rather have a higher-output pump with an improved pickup than simply replacing OPGs. That said, I have not noticed any oil starvation issues even achieving 1.34G at Charlotte Motor Speedway. I have seen some situations where people have noticed oil starvation in a GT, but it seems to be very rare with HPDE drivers, especially those that aren't seriously advanced and seemingly 100% not an issue with cars not running slicks. But... the internet has lies.

csmaan12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Oxford White
The GT350 oil pump is apparently a higher output pump than the GT. I don't know how it can be considering it is my understanding that the OPG replacements for the GT350 pump are the same as the GT pump... but I could be (and probably am) wrong.

@OPMustang has done a little research into this. He can chime in, maybe.

Personally, given my road course preference over drag racing, I'd much rather have a higher-output pump with an improved pickup than simply replacing OPGs.
Speculating here, but it's possible the OPG by itself is the same, but the entire assembly/unit may be designed differently for higher output. Not very educated on that, but it would make sense why they offer an OPG upgrade interchangeably between GT/GT350.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I guess the oil channels could be larger or something but... with oil pumps there's High Volume (more oil, same relative pressure) and High Output (higher pressure). Higher pressure is what would be needed on a road course.

OP
OP
spiller

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
According to someone over on TMO, the GT350 oil pump has a larger diameter pick up than the coyote, and therefore flows more oil. However, people on TMO are running their Boss 302 cars with just a sump upgrade (+ cooling) and this has been race proven, so i'll probably go this route due to simplicity. I believe the factory Coyote pump is still considered to be "high output".

FWIW, I have heard of a car in Australia sustaining engine failure due to oil starvation in an N/A stage 2 application, running Michelin Pilot Supersports (not what I'd call sticky tires). The car was described as being "driven at the limit" at the time of the failure. My engine is still stock but the tires I run on are a few levels above MPSS and I have experience on track, so I'm not taking any risks. The only thing that holds me back is my drivetrain warranty, but a sump is easy enough to swap should the car ever have to go back to a dealer, so I'm probably going to do it. I don't want to risk it, do an engine and then have ford tell me no because I used the car outside of its performance window.

veeefour

Troll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT
Stage 3 Comp Cams, billet OPG and CS, APR bolts - took me 1,5 days working alone - I'm a mechanic.

GT350 oil pump is not an upgrade - gears are identical.

Sponsored

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I am running the Moroso pan and have been since the car has been on track, it was one of the first mods I did. I track on NT-01 and Pirelli Slicks so I thought it was prudent to make the change. The larger oil capacity and trap door style baffles are a marked improvement over the stock oil pan design. I went with the steel pan as the oil pan itself is quite exposed under the car and was concerned about an aluminum pan being damaged during an off track excursion.

Replacing the pan is not bad and can be done in about 3 hours on a lift, it will take longer on jack stands but can be done. Doing the pan, OPG, and lower sprocket all at the same time makes since if you are thinking about doing the OPG. If not the pan swap is fairly easy.

Dave

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
Took me about 8 hours total, including dealing with a broken pickup tube bolt in the oil pump.

I am a mechanic but this is the first time ever pulling apart this style motor.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I am running the Moroso pan and have been since the car has been on track, it was one of the first mods I did. I track on NT-01 and Pirelli Slicks so I thought it was prudent to make the change. The larger oil capacity and trap door style baffles are a marked improvement over the stock oil pan design. I went with the steel pan as the oil pan itself is quite exposed under the car and was concerned about an aluminum pan being damaged during an off track excursion.
What's the part # on that pan?

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Thanks. The specs on that say 8 quart capacity and then lower in the description it says extra capacity: holds 2 more quarts than stock.

Either they labeled wrong or they are comparing it to some other earlier model Mustang not the S550s which already hold 8 quarts in the stock pan.
Sponsored