Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I'll let you know.
Well, didn't notice any change while driving. I did notice a 3c-4c (roughly 7f) drop while stopped. Not a huge amount, but an amount none the less. I think wrapping the intake tube will help (as per mentioned earlier).

On a side note, the airbox itself ( where it's wrapped ) is much cooler then the intake tube. Cheers.
Sponsored

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Blankie :D Will test tomorrow.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Good idea wrapping that tube and still having an open filter.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I only wrapped the metal portion of my intake, seems kind of pointless to wrap the whole thing especially plastic.

Looks nice and clean besides the odd color of the wrap compared to the rest of the engine bay.
20472642_10104754066833842_253363797_o.jpg

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Well thermowrap never looks purdy eh :D
Makes a difference though. Cut the IAT 10c or so everywhere. :thumbsup:
Your results may vary :lol:

DrDane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT A6 400A 3.55
I am sure most of you guys have done it, but opening up your grill made a huge difference for me. I hogged out ALL the honey combs.

I was actually considering putting the stock box back on before that.
+100000, I did it too and was best aesthetic/bang for buck thing, plus cooler temps.

I got my kit from Custom car grills "ccg" on eBay for under $100

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Wrapped the parts of the factory air intake tube closest to heat sources with Heatshield Lava Mat. I'll compare it against our other car when the weather allows.
Oooh that looks a lot better and more subtle than the bright gold wrap, kinda reminds me of carbon fiber.

Would be interested if you notice any difference. Although by wrapping the tube AFTER the MAF, you won't be able to actually measure IAT differences since that measurement is taken at the MAF. So you could lower the temp of the air itself by 10* throughout the tube, but you will never see that when you scan for IAT.

Sponsored

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
That's what you get for buying a "Hot-Air Intake".

The real reason for buying a "CAI" is for making power on a Dyno with the hood open. Most aftermarket open intakes have half-assed heat shielding that is far from air tight and sealing the intake from the hot engine bay heat, despite their efforts and rubber stripping.

Since you see the AITs rise so much at idle, it's just sucking in heat soaked engine bay air. Try throwing on the stock intake an see the difference to verify it.

Heat shielding will help and HeatshieldProducts HP Sticky shield is the best to wrap the outside of the air box, but it will not do a while lot for your issue when your Hot Air Intake is sucking in really hot engine bay air...

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
The biggest difference I've seen is from blocking incoming air directly on top of the intake tube. IMO, if you don't do that you are wasting your time with everything else. High temp foam, Lexan, pretty much anything safe to use will work. Try it and compare the temps with/without.

Also, pay attn to the IAT immediately up on cold start. Mine is always several degrees above the outside temp (car gage) no matter what. To be accurate you have to subtract that difference from the reading.

I'm skeptical of getting much of a decrease from wrapping the tube. My thinking is: air moving through there doesn't have time to absorb much heat from the tube walls. Blocking off already hot air from getting sucked in makes more sense to me. One thing that I am not sure about... if the aluminum tubing transfers heat to the MAF, does that affect IAT readings?

Last edited:

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
That's what you get for buying a "Hot-Air Intake".

The real reason for buying a "CAI" is for making power on a Dyno with the hood open. Most aftermarket open intakes have half-assed heat shielding that is far from air tight and sealing the intake from the hot engine bay heat, despite their efforts and rubber stripping.

Since you see the AITs rise so much at idle, it's just sucking in heat soaked engine bay air. Try throwing on the stock intake an see the difference to verify it.

Heat shielding will help and HeatshieldProducts HP Sticky shield is the best to wrap the outside of the air box, but it will not do a while lot for your issue when your Hot Air Intake is sucking in really hot engine bay air...

Ford Performance chose an open design as well as Roush. Is their hood seal better than others? I don't know. Anyone see different temps with those designs?
Sponsored