Sponsored

Lining intake boxes with heat resistant material

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I've been noticing very high AIT when sitting idle at the drag strip, long traffic lights, etc. I know the temps usually come down once moving, but for the strip I wonder if that hinders the first bit of my run or not. That being said, I'm running the Mishimoto intake which has a metal "heat shield" which is black painted/coated. I notice the metal becomes very hot sitting in the engine bay, and I wonder if it heats the surrounding air by the intake, increasing AIT. As it is a closed box, I'm not concerned about cosmetics inside the box. I had wondered about lining the inner part of the box with exhaust tape of some other head resistant material.

What are your guys' thoughts on lining the inside of the heat shield/box, and thoughts on if it would help reduce idle AIT? What material would be good to use? Is it completely negated once I'm moving and colder air is being fed into the filter?

For the record, we're talking AIT 70*F (40*C) higher than ambient temps when idle.
Sponsored

Southview

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herby
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Convertible
Thought about doing the same thing. It is brutal here in Florida. I am in stop and go traffic most of the day.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
At the drag strip don't run the engine unless you have to... and open the hood in between runs to let that heat out best as possible. No matter the materials, no matter who's intake they will get quite warm sitting idling.

jdoug

Regular Guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10
Have been wondering about this too-- interested to see if anyone has done it yet.

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
I'd be interested is covering my stock air box with black heat resistant material for the Same reason.

CVCashmere

Sponsored

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
I need to do something for my PMAS "box." I snapped this picture earlier today. Granted, it was 100F and sitting in traffic, but it didn't cool down much when I got up to speed.

36134023592_a73e2439ba_b.jpg

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I put some heat reflective wrap on the outside of my airbox.

SR56

Threads
Reaction score
Website
seanrooney.realtor
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I need to do something for my PMAS "box." I snapped this picture earlier today. Granted, it was 100F and sitting in traffic, but it didn't cool down much when I got up to speed.

36134023592_a73e2439ba_b.jpg
Damn. I think my hottest has been 158 here in FL.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Did you see any difference after doing that?
I'll let you know. Been raining here all week, today will be sunny and +30c.. so I'll be cruising later. Usually it's 10 degrees above ambient while driving and 15-20 above ambient while siting in traffic on a plus 30 day.

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
If you're going to wrap anything with heat reflective tape or something similar it should be the intake tube itself. That should help a bit as you can definitely feel the tube is very hot after opening the hood. You can put a little bit of that reflective stuff right where the airbox sits very closely to the head as that huge chunk of metal surely radiates alot of heat to the box.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I am sure most of you guys have done it, but opening up your grill made a huge difference for me. I hogged out ALL the honey combs.

I was actually considering putting the stock box back on before that.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Haywood
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PREM RR A6 3.55
peel & seal (self adhesive butyl rubber with a thick aluminum foil )from blowes or home despot on exterior of airbox, underside of intake tube and spray it with flat black paint. I personally like SEM trim black.

Iceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 F150,2016 PP GT
I am sure most of you guys have done it, but opening up your grill made a huge difference for me. I hogged out ALL the honey combs.

I was actually considering putting the stock box back on before that.
What did you use to do that? any pics?
Sponsored