Mini bike collectors/riders

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Any one else out there collect/ride mini bikes?
It's kinda been a hobby of mine for the last 14 years.
I don't get much free time anymore but when I do I love to tinker with them.
I have a sl70ko project bike I bought in pieces, so there is a lot I need to finish it.
Responded to an ad I seen for a runnng bike. When I got there it didn't look that good but she had another bike in pieces partially restored, so I bought that one instead, being that the running one would be a project anyway.
I'll do a little here and a little there. The body parts were already primered and ready for paint so I'll probably do ruby red for this bike... possibly a summer yellow, I already have a pristine museum quality all original Aquarius blue...thinking the red may compliment it well. I pick up a CT70 HKO in orange later today. Runs and is in good condition. May just use that one as a rider.

Lots of little projects to look forward to...
If anyone hasn't ever looked into riding or restoring minis for a hobby, I highly recommend it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
machsmith

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I see there arent any mini enthusiasts out there, at least that have seen the thread.
Didn't expect much but thought id try.
Sunday i did a buy it now on ebay for a bike that ive been trying years to find in pristine conditon. When i seen it i couldnt hit the button fast enough.
1972k0 Aquarious Blue (looks like grabber) SL70. Im on cloud 9 with this bike. ALL orginal...onky 480 miles on it. Not 1 scratch or dent on tank or fenders. Exhaust has some scuffs, no dents.
I also added a extremely nice original CT70HKO in emerald green and a z50 silver tag in red.
20170712_134240.jpg
20170711_064403.jpg
s-l400.jpg

Weasel1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Honda CT70 i had as a kid was about as much fun as a kid could have

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
I HAD A 1980 CT70 back in the day, red in color. My handle bars didn't fold like the ones in your pics though. Fun little bike!

OP
OP
machsmith

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Honda CT70 i had as a kid was about as much fun as a kid could have
You were a lucky kid to get one of them. I was 9 in 1980 my friend had a red 69 z50 he let me ride on occasion... I was hooked. We were too poor but did get a thrown out RUP frame and put a 5 hp Briggs motor in it, when I was 15.
What year and color was it? The CT70 has the rear shocks and is an endurance minibike. The rear shocked z50s didn't show until 73, so my butt cant take but maybe an hour ride max. Haha.

I HAD A 1980 CT70 back in the day, red in color. My handle bars didn't fold like the ones in your pics though. Fun little bike!
Yeah, those folding bars were kind of a gimmick with the 70s. They were supposed to make them more trunk freindly. The 70s are not particularly light and too big for the trunk. The 50s were more of the trunk size. I think they wanted to use parts and those handlebars worked well, especially for ease of replacement after a crash. I bet you had a lot of fun with it! The little boogers are built to last

Sponsored

Weasel1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
My Ct 70 was ruby red colored. Bought it from a neighbor's kid who used it about three times and had no interest. I rode that thing damn near to death.

OP
OP
machsmith

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
My Ct 70 was ruby red colored. Bought it from a neighbor's kid who used it about three times and had no interest. I rode that thing damn near to death.
Great color! Honda made great little engines. They just keep running!

OP
OP
machsmith

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I started on a QA50 then graduated to a Honda SL100, good fun.
What colors did you have? Ive never driven a QA 50, but id like to someday. I had a ruby red sl100. More of an adult mini. The 70s seating position isnt as comfortable. The 100 didnt make much power. The 70s feel every bit as quick. Maybe just a weight thing.

zxd9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Vehicle Showcase
I had a Rupp Scrambler in the mid-70's. My best friend had a Rupp Hustler. We put lots of miles on those things and had lots of fun. Good memories.

Sponsored

AXO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt, Ruby Red Metallic, Premium, PP, 401a
Wow, I also had a Trail 70 when I was a kid! The fun I had on that thing! It was a blast! :thumbsup:

I also had a green one :cheers:. I graduated from that to a Hodaka Dirt Squirt :D

OP
OP
machsmith

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I had a Rupp Scrambler in the mid-70's. My best friend had a Rupp Hustler. We put lots of miles on those things and had lots of fun. Good memories.
The rupps were powerfull little boogers. Those belt centrifugal clutches really grabbed the belts. I had fun on mine. Nearly vibrated myself to death on it :)

Wow, I also had a Trail 70 when I was a kid! The fun I had on that thing! It was a blast! :thumbsup:

I also had a green one :cheers:. I graduated from that to a Hodaka Dirt Squirt :D
Dirt squirt! Haha! Glad you had a good time. You ever try to find another or did you get enough of it back in the day?