Sponsored

BREAK-IN?

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
I've read what's been said. However I think the best break-in is a long drive where engine gets a good heat soak and you vary the speed and load. Several hundred miles. Where this comes from is several of my new vehicles burned a little oil until they got there first long trip, then settled into great engines that all made it well past 100k without burning oil. So far my voodoo which got a 460 mile trip its first day hasn't burned any oil.
Sponsored

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I've read what's been said. However I think the best break-in is a long drive where engine gets a good heat soak and you vary the speed and load. Several hundred miles. Where this comes from is several of my new vehicles burned a little oil until they got there first long trip, then settled into great engines that all made it well past 100k without burning oil. So far my voodoo which got a 460 mile trip its first day hasn't burned any oil.
...and you know it has not burned oil how ?:)

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Keep it from full throttle and red line for the first 500 miles. Let her rip after that.

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I'd be surprised if anyone isn't truly burning a little oil every 1-2k miles in these engines after a few thousand break-in miles. Isn't that exactly what the catch can is for? I'd also assume your oil burn is influenced by the engine's workload.

Respond to the OP's question - I did a small test drive during PDI to warm her up. Then did a small WOT leaving the dealership :)

I'm over 12K miles and she purrs like a kitten - albeit a very angry one.

Mustang1260

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 50th Limited Edition, WW, Manual
Break-in involves more then the engine--entire drive train comes into play (tranny, rearend gears). The manual pretty much outlines it. Ignore the 'advice' of internet idiots.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I'd be surprised if anyone isn't truly burning a little oil every 1-2k miles in these engines after a few thousand break-in miles.
I have almost 7000 miles on my car now and well on my way to 200 autocross runs and a track day. I've burned half a quart cumulatively. My catch can is almost half full right now.

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Break-in involves more then the engine--entire drive train comes into play (tranny, rearend gears). The manual pretty much outlines it. Ignore the 'advice' of internet idiots.
Says the guy on the internet. :lol:

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
I'm in the process of breaking mine in at the moment. I'm more concerned about taking it too easy than beating on it too much. Haven't taken it to redline yet but aiming for high load in 3rd, 4th and 5th gears with some WOT and a mixture of engine speeds. My car will be driven hard so I don't see the sense in babying it for the first 1000
miles of its life only to let it rip as soon as it ticks over to 1001.

IA350

Ruby Voodoo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2007 Shelby GT, 2017 GT350
Recently had a 500 mile trip at Hwy speeds, RPM never above 6,000. Burned 1/2 quart of oil on the trip. I'm going to keep an eye on mine as it looks like it might be one the burns more oil.

Prowl647

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I've done controlled hard break ins on my last few cars and never had issue with burning oil. Past cars include audi s4, brz, Evo x, Mazda CX-5 and wrx. I'm a staunch believer in controlled hard break ins. Besides, if it breaks don't you want it to break within warranty?

Ctease

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Don't need break-in period. Drive however you want. If you want it to last drive normal. Driving crazy at 100 mile is no different than driving crazy at 20,000 miles.
Sponsored