FR/Borla exhaust observations

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Please remember that yours is a "Ford Racing By Borla" system which is not the same as the Borla system.

While it may look similar from the outside, the Borla system is very different. The muffler strategy is completely different.

The tips line up differently on the Borla system as well. More centered (there's a whole thread on this issue regarding the Borla system).

This is the Borla system - https://www.borla.com/products/mustang_shelby_gt350_catback_exhaust_atak_part__140684.html

Just want to make sure I clear up any confusion. The systems are completely different.
YUP!!!! NOOOOOOOO comparison when doing a side by side sound check. The ATAK in Sport mode is race car loud!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
To clarify David...the only difference between the two systems is the mufflers, correct?

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Please remember that yours is a "Ford Racing By Borla" system which is not the same as the Borla system.

While it may look similar from the outside, the Borla system is very different. The muffler strategy is completely different.

The tips line up differently on the Borla system as well. More centered (there's a whole thread on this issue regarding the Borla system).

This is the Borla system - https://www.borla.com/products/mustang_shelby_gt350_catback_exhaust_atak_part__140684.html

Just want to make sure I clear up any confusion. The systems are completely different.
I know about the difference between the two, but nevertheless, my FP exhaust was made by your factory in Tenesse. It wasnt made by Ford, it was made for Ford by borla.

As for center alignment of tips being different in the ATAK exhaust, unless you are implying that ATAK is given an unfair and unjust edge in terms of quality over the other unit, I dont see the point. Both of them should center align with respect to the valance tips and both shouldnt have any of the issues that pretty much everyone here experienced. Expecting people to "weld" their exhaust hangars to fix the alignment, at this price point (actually no, even at any price point), is ridiculous.

I have owned a lot of aftermarket exhausts, eisenmann and akrapovic mainly over the years and I have probably spent more time aligning your exhaust than all my other exhaust (5 of them total) combined. I have no experience with your products so I m not sure if this type of issue is normal. You should take a look at an akrapovic system, as a car enthusiast it is actually pleasure installing one. Install 100 of them every one in 100 different cars will be perfect.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I know about the difference between the two, but nevertheless, my FP exhaust was made by your factory in Tenesse. It wasnt made by Ford, it was made for Ford by borla.

As for center alignment of tips being different in the ATAK exhaust, unless you are implying that ATAK is given an unfair and unjust edge in terms of quality over the other unit, I dont see the point. Both of them should center align with respect to the valance tips and both shouldnt have any of the issues that pretty much everyone here experienced. Expecting people to "weld" their exhaust hangars to fix the alignment, at this price point (actually no, even at any price point), is ridiculous.

I have owned a lot of aftermarket exhausts, eisenmann and akrapovic mainly over the years and I have probably spent more time aligning your exhaust than all my other exhaust (5 of them total) combined. I have no experience with your products so I m not sure if this type of issue is normal. You should take a look at an akrapovic system, as a car enthusiast it is actually pleasure installing one. Install 100 of them every one in 100 different cars will be perfect.
Wow! Thats quite an accusation. Lol. How did you even come to this conclusion with what David said? I have had a great customer service experience with Borla. Infact! Its the best i have experienced in the after market. There is a huge difference in the muffler desing used for the Atack and has been discussed at length. That is what David is stating.

Last edited:

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Screw the car. Go play with your dogs. :)

Sponsored

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Wow! Thats quite an accusation. Lol. How did you even come to this conclusion with what David said? I have had a great customer service experience with Borla. Infact! Its the best i have experienced in the after market. There is a huge difference in the muffler desing used for the Atack and has been at length. That is what David is stating.

I have said nothing of the contrary about customer service. Yes you call them and explain the problem, yes they are nice, and yes they send you a new unit no questions asked. But doesnt change the reality that the tips dont align. Every unit is the same. There is a problem somewhere. Either when they were in R&D the measurements werent properly taken OR there is great variance from ford production with gt350s, i.e the way engine is mounted or headers. Nevertheless, the variance is there, and the overall experience (note the word I m using overall not customer service or how nice borla people are because they are) is pretty poor.

Everyone has other expectations and maybe this is mismanagement of one's expectations. This is my first mustang in fact its my first domestic car (ever), and I have been modding cars for over a decade and never before I had these issues with any of my other cars with any of the other aftermarket part manufacturers. So maybe i need a reality check and this is how it is and maybe with respect to the other domestic aftermarket companies borla is the best, I cant make that call.

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
You don't need a reality check. When you buy a quality exhaust system you have a valid expectation it will fit properly. Domestic or not, there should be no difference. In fact, our expectations should be higher with the "Made in USA" stamp on it.

david borla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Absolutely, if you don't like anything about a product of ours which you purchased, please contact me directly at [email protected] and I will ensure any and all issues are resolved to your satisfaction.

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I have said nothing of the contrary about customer service. Yes you call them and explain the problem, yes they are nice, and yes they send you a new unit no questions asked. But doesnt change the reality that the tips dont align. Every unit is the same. There is a problem somewhere. Either when they were in R&D the measurements werent properly taken OR there is great variance from ford production with gt350s, i.e the way engine is mounted or headers. Nevertheless, the variance is there, and the overall experience (note the word I m using overall not customer service or how nice borla people are because they are) is pretty poor.

Everyone has other expectations and maybe this is mismanagement of one's expectations. This is my first mustang in fact its my first domestic car (ever), and I have been modding cars for over a decade and never before I had these issues with any of my other cars with any of the other aftermarket part manufacturers. So maybe i need a reality check and this is how it is and maybe with respect to the other domestic aftermarket companies borla is the best, I cant make that call.
Hit up Dave at Borla and see what hey can do for you. Thus far past practice has shown they have/will remedy any issues brought up regarding their exhaust system. My guess is that if the issue is design related then they will remedy it for all. He is also in the best position to bring the issue to Ford as well and make recommendations

bobmclean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
To clarify David...the only difference between the two systems is the mufflers, correct?
No, that is not correct....the X pipe makes it very different. It's the same OD from the header to the muffler. The OEM is not the same OD.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm asking him if the "Ford Racing By Borla" system is the same as the ATAK system save for the mufflers, as we all know there is a difference there. I'm making no inquiry with respect to the stock system in any way.

K3NMasterS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a 5.2L Flat Plane
Sorry if this topic has been addressed already, but is everyone with the ATAK just dealing with the buzzing noise at certain RPMs from the flaps/valves? It's terrible when they're closed, which is understandable, but I can still hear it at lower RPMs when they're open.

david borla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Sorry if this topic has been addressed already, but is everyone with the ATAK just dealing with the buzzing noise at certain RPMs from the flaps/valves? It's terrible when they're closed, which is understandable, but I can still hear it at lower RPMs when they're open.
Please use our million mile warranty and contact us so we can fix any issues you may be having with any of our parts. You can email [email protected] or contact me directly at [email protected] and I will make sure we resolve the issue to your satisfaction.

Or, call 877-GO-BORLA and ask for customer service.

We will make sure everything is right.

david borla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I'm asking him if the "Ford Racing By Borla" system is the same as the ATAK system save for the mufflers, as we all know there is a difference there. I'm making no inquiry with respect to the stock system in any way.
Haven't forgotten about this. Need to analyze the drawings and I haven't had the time. Will reply in more detail as soon as I can. I know we made some minor changes to the ATAK system based on feedback from this forum and I'm not sure if Ford approved those changes as well.

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks David, looking forward to hearing about it.
Sponsored