Sponsored

Never had a trunk mounted sub

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So i like base, but have never had a vehicle where the sub is mounted in a trunk. Always hatchbacks or trucks or jeeps where the sub is in the cab with you. Wondering if there is any noticeable difference with a sub enclosure like the Zen enclosure where the sub is facing the trunk and the back of the box is up against the back seats? I've heard base is non directional, just never had one where i'm on the opposite side of the box from the speaker. I need to keep my backseat. Does it really not matter much? Will people hear it booming from the trunk more than I will sitting in the seat?
Sponsored

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
So i like base, but have never had a vehicle where the sub is mounted in a trunk. Always hatchbacks or trucks or jeeps where the sub is in the cab with you. Wondering if there is any noticeable difference with a sub enclosure like the Zen enclosure where the sub is facing the trunk and the back of the box is up against the back seats? I've heard base is non directional, just never had one where i'm on the opposite side of the box from the speaker. I need to keep my backseat. Does it really not matter much? Will people hear it booming from the trunk more than I will sitting in the seat?
The short answer is that trunk mount subs work fine and you will no notice a difference if the speaker/enclosure are sized properly.

Thundersteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS Convertible
In other cars I've has, subs work best if the speakers face the back of the car. The bass seems to reflect back into the interior with more punch.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Subwoofer wavelengths benefit from the subwoofer firing backwards vs. straight into the cabin in your typical trunk vehicle. Hatchbacks tend to sound best downfiring.

OP
OP

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like it will work out just fine. Just got to thinking about it so I had to ask.

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
You mentioned Z enclosures... they are sometimes a little difficult to get ahold of, but will work with you on customizing the enclosure for your speaker, etc... I have one of their boxes and highly recommend them...
Sponsored