Sponsored

Whipple belt chirp

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
anyone know if the S197 kit has the same chirping issue? has whipple updated the kits now to include the parts that fix the noises like the spacers and tensioner etc etc....im looking into a 2.9 kit for a 2014 mustang and all this belt chirp and squeaking noises has me contemplating a VMP Gen2R when i wasnt really considering one at all...
The belt chirp only started in 2015 they figure it is a variance in the timing cover used on the 2015. The 2011 to 2014 have no issues.
Sponsored

Boosted5.0_NY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium w/ Performance Package
Another thing you might want to look at is the surface of those idlers, hard to tell from the pic's but they look pretty worn.
That is just the finish that has worn away, the pulleys are completely smooth with no wear at all.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Another thing you might want to look at is the surface of those idlers, hard to tell from the pic's but they look pretty worn.
I've noticed that some idlers have an even wear pattern on them where all the worn area is consistent and others are streaked. My thinking is the streaked ones may not have complete belt surface contact and could be the culprit of the noise:shrug:

Boosted5.0_NY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium w/ Performance Package
Sounds like you need the new idler plate stands. I would call Whipple and they should send them for free. A friend just had the belt noise come back with the new tensioner and idler and Whipple is now sending him the new stands.

I changed everything at once new billet tensioner, new idlers and new idler plate stands. I however have only had idle time on it in the garage a couple times die to winter hibernation. I'll be in the wild in a couple weeks and will report back.
Thank Roh, I will definitely reach out to Whipple this week. Wishing you the best when you get your car back on the road. I know you went through a lot over the past several months getting the engine replaced. I'm in NY and don't drive the car during the winter either - unless it is a really nice day. Patiently waiting for good weather but we just got 20" of snow earlier this week!

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I've noticed that some idlers have an even wear pattern on them where all the worn area is consistent and others are streaked. My thinking is the streaked ones may not have complete belt surface contact and could be the culprit of the noise:shrug:
This is probably due to a contact / angle issue of the belt as it rides over the idlers, the belt tends to get loaded differently across the idlers depending on where they are located. I don't know how many have installed the shorter stands with the shorter belt but would like to know if they have solved the issue of the belt riding off the back side of that 1 idler. I am running the old belt routing and have had zero issues thus far.

Sponsored

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Thank Roh, I will definitely reach out to Whipple this week. Wishing you the best when you get your car back on the road. I know you went through a lot over the past several months getting the engine replaced. I'm in NY and don't drive the car during the winter either - unless it is a really nice day. Patiently waiting for good weather but we just got 20" of snow earlier this week!
Yeah been a long and purposeful winter with all the mods and fixes that I've done. Can't wait get some more breakin miles down and then start having fun.

This is probably due to a contact / angle issue of the belt as it rides over the idlers, the belt tends to get loaded differently across the idlers depending on where they are located. I don't know how many have installed the shorter stands with the shorter belt but would like to know if they have solved the issue of the belt riding off the back side of that 1 idler. I am running the old belt routing and have had zero issues thus far.
Seems the chatter has diminished so I would imagine the issue was a fix for most. However we do seem to hear again from time to time like this that the noise I see coming back. So far from what I know I haven't heard of anyone that changed the idler stands still having belt noise. I hope more people will share their experience.

jhatley7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 White GT PP, 2022 F350
Yeah been a long and purposeful winter with all the mods and fixes that I've done. Can't wait get some more breakin miles down and then start having fun.

Seems the chatter has diminished so I would imagine the issue was a fix for most. However we do seem to hear again from time to time like this that the noise I see coming back. So far from what I know I haven't heard of anyone that changed the idler stands still having belt noise. I hope more people will share their experience.
I am one of those :( New stands, tensioner and belt. I completely uninstalled everything and reinstalled taking extra time to make sure I did it properly. It definitely helped. I know get it randomly. Cold starts are the worst.

When it decides to squeal it does it on every start up and most of my drive. Then later that day or the next all is good. ive pretty much given up on figuring it out.

al3x

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I am one of those :( New stands, tensioner and belt. I completely uninstalled everything and reinstalled taking extra time to make sure I did it properly. It definitely helped. I know get it randomly. Cold starts are the worst.

When it decides to squeal it does it on every start up and most of my drive. Then later that day or the next all is good. ive pretty much given up on figuring it out.
I thought mine would never stop making noise but it finally stopped with the new stands, tensioner, AND the original long belt routing, maybe that can help you if you're currently on the shorter one

jhatley7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I thought mine would never stop making noise but it finally stopped with the new stands, tensioner, AND the original long belt routing, maybe that can help you if you're currently on the shorter one
Sry forgot. I am on the 10-rib with long route.

Sponsored

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple

If you haven't already I would suggest revisiting the issue with Whipple. If there is still and issue here Whippl needs tĂ´ know so they can continue to address it. I'm glad you chimed in, but sorry you still have the issue. I am biting my nails in anticipation hoping I'm one of the lucky on s and it doesn't come back. But as we all know I'm not usually a lucky guy.:headbonk:

RogerS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT Premium PP 50th
I'm still monitoring this thread hoping one of the fixes works. I got one of the first shipments with the new stands and have had the loud chirp for nearly a year now. I want to fix it only once, lol

jhatley7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you haven't already I would suggest revisiting the issue with Whipple. If there is still and issue here Whippl needs tĂ´ know so they can continue to address it. I'm glad you chimed in, but sorry you still have the issue. I am biting my nails in anticipation hoping I'm one of the lucky on s and it doesn't come back. But as we all know I'm not usually a lucky guy.:headbonk:
Dustin and Mike have helped me SO much with FREE belts, pulleys, spacers, smooth pulleys, ETC... I wanted to make sure it wasn't just me with the issues and try and put more miles on the setup before I reached out. Hate to cry wolf if I messed something up ya know.

Major League Infidel

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
'15 CO GT PP
I have the updated tensioner and new feet. Sound is gone.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
I'm still monitoring this thread hoping one of the fixes works. I got one of the first shipments with the new stands and have had the loud chirp for nearly a year now. I want to fix it only once, lol
The new stands are now different compared to the ones they sent out as a fix a year or so ago. The fist ones were just machined down to no longer be press fit into the idler plate but were otherwise no different than the ones that came originally with the supercharger. The new ones are now a little shorter.

I know the idler plates in the new kits rolling out the door now have the stand holes in them opened up compared the the first design to make the stands no longer press fit but just gettin the new shorter stands and press fitting them into my first design idler plate combined with the new tensioner have eliminated the chirps I have been experiencing for a year and 1/2.

FYI I have 10 rib setup which uses the long belt route but I'm confident doing the same will eliminate your issue as well.
Sponsored