Sponsored

Rumor - Will Mach 1 follow the GT350 in 2018?

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
The way I see it, the GT500 had a good, long run. Much longer than originally anticipated. Ford is likely to give the GT350 a nice run next, 4 or 5 model years in my bet. If a Mach 1 pops up at the '18MY refresh, than might handle the boulevard cruiser need for the time being. What I can say is that I've heard absolutely nothing substantial about a GT500 at all - the only thing I've heard is wild speculation and rumor in the media and on this site. Nothing from any channels that I have found to be reliable. All indications I've had suggests that SVT had their hands full with getting the GT350 launched and the upcoming Raptor. Any GT500 model is way out there.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The Mach 1 was indeed mostly cosmetic to start with, in essence some different interior trim, stripes, blackout hood with scoop, etc. Base engine on the early ones was a 2-barrel 351, with the rest of the V8s optional as in the rest of the line. The '69 Machs were much more popular than the GT package that year, which led to the disappearance of the GT for many years.

The cool thing about the '03-'04 Machs is they had essentially their own engine that wasn't shared with any other Mustang at the time, a NA DOHC 4.6L. I would suspect that a meaningful S550 Mach 1 would follow suit and have a semi-bespoke powerplant, say a NA 5.2 with cross-plane crank and a bump over GT in terms of horsepower.
That would be really sweet if the Mach were like a GT but with the 5.2 drivetrain and at a lower price point than the GT350. That could allow the 5.2 to be sold in Europe - at least potentially. I would be willing to pay less for something a little less track capable, but with a great FPC engine. :cheers:

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Don't be surprised to see the Mach 1, GT350 and GT500 available at the same time. A Steed for every need!

Kodyray72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 SBY Boss 302
Don't be surprised to see the Mach 1, GT350 and GT500 available at the same time. A Steed for every need!
They already said there won't be 2 shelby models produced at the same time, my guess is the will run with the gt350 for 2-3 maybe 4 years then make a mach1 with pretty much all gt350 underpinnings and then they well make the new hellcat munching gt500 somewhere around 2018-19

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
. Price points will figure into a mach and a Shelby GT500 existing @ the same time. Say a 5.0 mach and a twin turbo 5.0 GT 500 ? But what do you do with the engine in the New Ford GT and trans ?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Shelby will want a piece of the pie, and would likely support the move as well. The GT350 and GT500 where offered in parallel for some time.
Shelby had nothing to do with the latest GT350 so they most likely won't have anything to do with the GT500(or whatever its successor is called). Shelby American is doing their own thing. Ford Motor Company has not built a GT350 and a GT500 at the same time.

The cool thing about the '03-'04 Machs is they had essentially their own engine that wasn't shared with any other Mustang at the time, a NA DOHC 4.6L. I would suspect that a meaningful S550 Mach 1 would follow suit and have a semi-bespoke powerplant, say a NA 5.2 with cross-plane crank and a bump over GT in terms of horsepower.
The '03-04 Mach 1's didn't get an engine specifically designed for them though, they were essentially carryovers from the 96-01 Cobra 4.6 4V engines with a different intake manifold and shaker scoop. If a revived Mach 1 were to follow that example it would get the 5.4/5.8 Condor/Trinity engine but without the blower on top. That would probably be damn cool, but exceedingly unlikely.

TungstenGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Fastback, Manual, PP, DIB
I'd like to see a GT350 KR. I know it probably won't happen, but it would be very cool to see how Ford would pump up the power and looks of the GT 350 R.

Bullitt2065

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
With how big the 50th anniversary has been for Ford and the Mustang. I can't see them passing up the 50th for the GT500. Shelby will want a piece of the pie, and would likely support the move as well. The GT350 and GT500 where offered in parallel for some time.

I would venture some of the light weighted components from the GT350 will find it's way into the Mustang. As much as people curse CAFE. We are going to get lighter vehicles from it.
There are so many special editions, though, can we really expect Ford to do a 50th Anniversary version of each one, and still offer enough differentiation between them to really have a unique market for each?

GT500: 1967
GT500KR: 1968
Bullitt (Movie Release): 1968
Mach 1: 1969

I'm hoping for a new Bullitt since I have an 08, but given all of the extra work dealing with Warner Brothers to do one, I can see why they wouldn't.

I can see them not doing a GT500 because while even though the GT350 is a significantly different type of car than a GT500 was, it's still a 526hp $50-60K Mustang. Ford also has the Ford GT coming out, with "Over 600 HP". The way I see it, even though the FGT might cost $400K, I can't see Ford building a Mustang with more power than the FGT. So is there room in the product portfolio for something in between the 526hp GT350 and whatever the FGT is ultimately rated at? I'm not sure... What's more, with a GT350R coming in at $63K or so, would there be a market for an even more expensive Mustang? Would any of you pay $75K for a GT500 when a GT350 would offer very comparable, if not more real-world performance?

I could see a Mach 1 as kind of a way to bridge the gap between a GT and a GT350, maybe something like a GT350-lite, maybe use the 5.2 to get a better ROI on the engine but detune it to 485-500 and offer with an auto?

Last edited:

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
The '03-04 Mach 1's didn't get an engine specifically designed for them though, they were essentially carryovers from the 96-01 Cobra 4.6 4V engines with a different intake manifold and shaker scoop.
..and different blocks (in some cases) and definitely different heads, which is very significant. 99-01 Cobra also had different heads.

65Terdlingua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang
That 10 Speed transmission is a joint effort between Ford and GM BTW.

Should be interesting to see an interchangeable transmission between two highly competitive manufacturers.
Dont expect these two transmissions to be interchangable. Although they are jointly working on the technology and developement, the individual parts for each manufacturer will surely be their own designs. Cases will be different, mounting points, output/input shafts, gear ratios will likely be different to suit each manufacturers vehicles, valve bodies may take different directions from each other, shafts, tuning, etc. They will be similar for sure, but I'm sure each part will have subtle differences.

Sponsored

JCF204

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 F-350
MACH I = 5.2 with GT PP and the 10 spd auto as an option.

That would be my car!

JoshMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2003 Mach 1, 64.5 Coupe
Just curious what is special about the Mach 1 to you.
You obviously have never ridden behind a Shaker Hood scoop, see below.

The '03-04 Mach 1's didn't get an engine specifically designed for them though, they were essentially carryovers from the 96-01 Cobra 4.6 4V engines with a different intake manifold and shaker scoop. If a revived Mach 1 were to follow that example it would get the 5.4/5.8 Condor/Trinity engine but without the blower on top. That would probably be damn cool, but exceedingly unlikely.
Not true, the Mach engine was similar to the 99/01 Cobra but much more than just an intake change. 96-99 and some 01 Cobra's have a Teksid block while all Mach have a WAP, they have higher compression 9.85:1(99-01)-10.1:1(03-04), different cams(same of 03/04 cobra), and completely redesigned cylinder heads(same as 03/04 cobra) are some of the more major more notable changes, but there are many more differences as well.
IMG_0038.jpg

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
Dont expect these two transmissions to be interchangable. Although they are jointly working on the technology and developement, the individual parts for each manufacturer will surely be their own designs. Cases will be different, mounting points, output/input shafts, gear ratios will likely be different to suit each manufacturers vehicles, valve bodies may take different directions from each other, shafts, tuning, etc. They will be similar for sure, but I'm sure each part will have subtle differences.
This is not really different than the shared-development 6-speed FWD transaxle that Ford and GM have had in production now for several years. I can tell you that a differential for the GM 6T70 will fit the Ford 6F55; we made prototypes and fitted one to our Malibu and also provide a couple to Ford for evaluation.

But as you predicted here, the ratios, mounting block interface, etc were all different. Basically, both companies shared the development of the core architecture, which is the really costly part. Then each took that as a starting and made it their own. The newer transmission joint ventures are the same.

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
You obviously have never ridden behind a Shaker Hood scoop, see below.
I'd be curious if Ford would repeat that next time, though. The underhood space is already tight. One might argue that a Shaker doesn't suit this car as well as it did previous generations. Some time back, someone did a photoshop using the NACA ducts from the '71-'73 Mach 1 rather than a Shaker, and it was a nice integration. I wonder if that's the path Ford would follow...

65Terdlingua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang
This is not really different than the shared-development 6-speed FWD transaxle that Ford and GM have had in production now for several years. I can tell you that a differential for the GM 6T70 will fit the Ford 6F55; we made prototypes and fitted one to our Malibu and also provide a couple to Ford for evaluation.

But as you predicted here, the ratios, mounting block interface, etc were all different. Basically, both companies shared the development of the core architecture, which is the really costly part. Then each took that as a starting and made it their own. The newer transmission joint ventures are the same.
Ok so they sourced the same differential. Some parts will be like that in the new trans but I'm guessing not many. Like you said they are doing the hard and expensive part together to save cost but will head back to their own shops for the rest.
Sponsored