Rumor - The GT500 thread

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I took what Hi-Po stang said as it pertains to the article talking about the new GM engines:

We’re expecting this new engine family to combine aluminum block and head construction, dual overhead camshafts, four-valve combustion chambers, direct (possibly in combination with port) fuel injection, titanium connecting rods, and a flat crankshaft, with approximately 5.5 liters of displacement to produce the target power. Need we remind you that most of those specs also fit a bored-and-stroked Ferrari 458 Italia V-8? Peel your ears to hear Pavarotti serenading from heaven. The twin-turbo LT7 version will trade some of the exhaust aria for additional power, à la Ferrari 488GTB.
I pray that's the HP #'s for the mid engine! SOLD, but I'd rather it be a CPC
Sponsored

Last edited:

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I understand, but it doesn't mean Ford is going to go that route. Let GM take on the FPC and see how it works out for them. I'd just take a CPC with nearly the same figures.

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
I understand, but it doesn't mean Ford is going to go that route. Let GM take on the FPC and see how it works out for them. I'd just take a CPC with nearly the same figures.
The new thinking ever since the GT4 and FP350s has been that there is something inferior about the FPC, and that's why those cars have CPC.. Fact is we don't know if there is a flaw with FPC or if its totally fine, and the reason they didn't use it in these 2 new cars was because from the beginning this engine was slated for use ONLY in the production GT350/R. The fact that this new information has come out that GM is working on one, and in another post somewhere Raj Nair said something like the 5.2 in the GT350 had more power left in it, maybe it's not as "flawed" as it's being portrayed. :cheers:

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
The new thinking ever since the GT4 and FP350s has been that there is something inferior about the FPC, and that's why those cars have CPC.. Fact is we don't know if there is a flaw with FPC or if its totally fine, and the reason they didn't use it in these 2 new cars was because from the beginning this engine was slated for use ONLY in the production GT350/R. The fact that this new information has come out that GM is working on one, and in another post somewhere Raj Nair said something like the 5.2 in the GT350 had more power left in it, maybe it's not as "flawed" as it's being portrayed. :cheers:

I'm not saying it's flawed........but I bet Ford had/has additional challenges during development that it wouldn't have had with a CPC.

I hope they continue to develop it for use in the GT350 but I strongly suspect Ford will stay true to their word and you won't see a FPC Mustang other than a GT350.

Will the rumours of GM using a FPC change Ford's mind? Unlikely. The development for future Mustang engines would have started years ago, and they won't change course just because a rival may choose to use that technology.

Again, just my 2p :)

Sponsored

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
I'm not saying it's flawed........but I bet Ford had/has additional challenges during development that it wouldn't have had with a CPC.

I hope they continue to develop it for use in the GT350 but I strongly suspect Ford will stay true to their word and you won't see a FPC Mustang other than a GT350.

Will the rumours of GM using a FPC change Ford's mind? Unlikely. The development for future Mustang engines would have started years ago, and they won't change course just because a rival may choose to use that technology.

Again, just my 2p :)
I didn't mean that it would change ford's mind, It was more based on the thinking that if there was an inherent issue with it, GM wouldn't even bother as they have some pretty nice CPC engines themselves.

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I didn't mean that it would change ford's mind, It was more based on the thinking that if there was an inherent issue with it, GM wouldn't even bother as they have some pretty nice CPC engines themselves.
Well, I wish GM well. I've always liked their offerings and a FPC would certainly add some spice :)

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I question if this is true. Why would GM take it on when they could wring almost the same amount of power out of a CPC motor? Just to COPY what ford has done? I'm willing to bet it's not FPC when it comes.
I sure GM sliced open a 5.2 Voodoo and said...no thanks!
I'm sure the 5.2 does have more in it. Not enough to take down Zl1e though. It needs forced induction. TT would be my choice

Sponsored
OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Where there's smoke, there's often fire. It wouldn't surprise me to see GM try and develop a FPC engine, but whether it makes production is another matter.

What I am pleased to see if GM developing a new range of V8 engines (if I recall correctly, the Cadillac Escala was the first one mooted to have this new engine, or at least is apparently sported a 4.2 TT V8)

To see any manufacturer develop an all new V8 gives me hope that it'll be a while before the Big 3 cave in and drop the V8s.

Still, that's rather off-topic and as a Moderator I should know better :D

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Where there's smoke, there's often fire. It wouldn't surprise me to see GM try and develop a FPC engine, but whether it makes production is another matter.

What I am pleased to see if GM developing a new range of V8 engines (if I recall correctly, the Cadillac Escala was the first one mooted to have this new engine, or at least is apparently sported a 4.2 TT V8)

To see any manufacturer develop an all new V8 gives me hope that it'll be a while before the Big 3 cave in and drop the V8s.

Still, that's rather off-topic and as a Moderator I should know better :D
It is great to see... I dread the day they go away.
Enough of the hybrid talk...let's get some 600+ NA engines in some of these cars.

legendary mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 mustang gt
I question if this is true. Why would GM take it on when they could wring almost the same amount of power out of a CPC motor? Just to COPY what ford has done? I'm willing to bet it's not FPC when it comes.
I sure GM sliced open a 5.2 Voodoo and said...no thanks!
I'm sure the 5.2 does have more in it. Not enough to take down Zl1e though. It needs forced induction. TT would be my choice
i doubt the gigantic Mistake will come out with a FPC.i mean they arent even selling CRAPMAROS well enough to even justify a new motor.the last z28 was major flop,the new ss is a sales flop.i think that article is just all talk to try to keep the CRAPMARO in the news.most of the buying public has said camaros SUCK!!!and it shows in their sales.:lol:
:lol::cheers:

Last edited:

hated

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 gt500
Why is it that ford will release info on the 2020 bronco and ranger. Not specifics but have verified that they are being built, but will say nothing about a new gt500. Not even just confirm that it is being built? I don't want to say it but I think we know why nothing has been said, and speculators keep pushing the release date back. It will be a 2016, no now it will be a 2017, no it will be 2018 to celebrate the 50th, now it's going to be a 2019 or 2020. Pipe dreams. I know someone will reply that their sisters cousins ex husband twice removed has "inside" information and it will be a "bamf" . Call me a skeptic but I'll believe it when I see it.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Why is it that ford will release info on the 2020 bronco and ranger. Not specifics but have verified that they are being built, but will say nothing about a new gt500. Not even just confirm that it is being built? I don't want to say it but I think we know why nothing has been said, and speculators keep pushing the release date back. It will be a 2016, no now it will be a 2017, no it will be 2018 to celebrate the 50th, now it's going to be a 2019 or 2020. Pipe dreams. I know someone will reply that their sisters cousins ex husband twice removed has "inside" information and it will be a "bamf" . Call me a skeptic but I'll believe it when I see it.
LMAO! Your spot on man...I have my doubts too. If it wasn't for 1 guy in paticular saying that its delayed and now coming for 19, I would be 100% in your court. One of the reasons is they can name the bronco and ranger coming is because there isn't one yet. I just don't get all the hush, UNLESS it is groundbreaking and they don't want someone right on their tails a year later (kinda like what this GM article is stating) My guess is they don't want to stymie sales of the 350, so they will release the info of the GT500/cobra as late as possible. I'm guessing at the detroit show next January.
Sponsored