FLATPLANE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pkg. 18 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 16 Lexus IS350 FSport
Vehicle Showcase
Fact man, tramlining can be helped more often than not with different tires or an alignment. Much more effort and cost into fixing poor suspension tuning, and you will probably lose performance then as well.
I lowered my GT350 a few weeks ago and aligned it myself set toe in to .05 on both sides Tramlining is almost non existent now! So much better!
I used the Ford Performance springs 20mm drop
Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Honestly if the M3/4 had a suspension system like our GT350s and a MDM (TC) mode that wasn't complete shit, I probably wouldn't of switched. It's hard to say, but I really don't know what I would've done.
Steering is sloppy too. Just for that reason alone is why I'd take an M2 over a 3/4. And why does the 3/4 feel heavier than it actually is? Rather the GT350 manages to hide weight. The M4 I drove felt just as heavy as my car or my car felt just as "light" as the M4, which I'm guessing was around 3600 flat. I thought these guys were the ultimate driving machine? :headbonk: Guess not!

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
Steering is sloppy too. Just for that reason alone is why I'd take an M2 over a 3/4. And why does the 3/4 feel heavier than it actually is? Rather the GT350 manages to hide weight. The M4 I drove felt just as heavy as my car or my car felt just as "light" as the M4, which I'm guessing was around 3600 flat. I thought these guys were the ultimate driving machine? :headbonk: Guess not!
I never thought the steering was sloppy. I thought is was very direct and precise. It is very numb and you don't get any info from it. I thought my M4 felt light and tossable on turn in, more so than the GT350 (it is one of the very few things I miss from that car), but after turn in things went to shit mid corner and exit. Especially if you had it in MDM mode, which is our equivalent to sport it would just kill the power mid corner to exit if it detected ANY slip at all. It became infuriating and the thing was such a handful with everything off, which I didn't feel comfortable doing very often.

I've never driven an M2, but all reviews I've read and people of talked to say it has these same issues. The traction issue isn't as bad because the N55 is a lot more detuned than the S55, but then you miss that punch down the straightaways you got used to in the M3/4. So yah, I was really really excited about the M2 until I read everything about it.

I haven't even gotten into what they cheaped out on, but BMW charges you the same as the M3/4. One example is the DCT. Both cost $2900 for the M2/3/4. On the M3/4 you get six modes of adjustability on it (D1-3, S1-3), but they delete this on the M2. There are a lot of things on the M2 that cost the same as M3/4, but they don't give you the full features as the M3/4. That alone would bug the hell out of me.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I never thought the steering was sloppy. I thought is was very direct and precise. It is very numb and you don't get any info from it.
That's probably a better explanation. I've only driven one on the road for a short distance, a few miles, albeit twisty ones, and on autocross. The steering wheel felt like a playstation joystick. Nada there. At least the 350 gives you SOMETHING back. It's no peach by any means but at least you get a little bit to work with. Honda S2000...now that's a fine rack right there. Take that as you will.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
That's probably a better explanation. I've only driven one on the road for a short distance, a few miles, albeit twisty ones, and on autocross. The steering wheel felt like a playstation joystick. Nada there. At least the 350 gives you SOMETHING back. It's no peach by any means but at least you get a little bit to work with. Honda S2000...now that's a fine rack right there. Take that as you will.
Agreed. When I first started driving the GT350, I always felt it was pushing very early in the corners until I talked to some others that crossed over from the M3/4. They basically said it was me just getting used to the steering and feeling something. :lol:

I still think the M3/4 is better on initial turn in, but I've gotten used to the GT350 now and it is very good at it as well. Like you said, at least you get some feedback as to what is going on up front now.

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I still think the M3/4 is better on initial turn in, but I've gotten used to the GT350 now and it is very good at it as well. Like you said, at least you get some feedback as to what is going on up front now.
BMR sway bar, go full stiff. Problem very solved. :D

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
BMR sway bar, go full stiff. Problem very solved. :D
Way ahead of you, I've got the FP springs in the garage and I have the FP sway bar kit on order, which is supposed to arrive in September. :cheers:

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
One of my favorite Jalopnik articles (before anyone gets offended, I'm sure a similar article could be written about Ford engines):
http://thegarage.jalopnik.com/bmw-engines-are-gigantic-pieces-of-shit-1784684330

Pure gold right there. I've dealt with more than half of those issues in the ~7 months I've been at this shop. Had an '11 550i this morning for a basic service, low miles, found the coolant lines to the tubos so loose I could pull the lines off by hand. Had the S85 in the shop a few times, did the VANOS stuff, had a whole bunch of E39's(have an M5 right now with backup lights that are always on) and E90's with some of the dumbest failures I've ever seen.

That Jalopnik article...S85. How can something so wonderful that produced such an incredible noise and power band be such a HORRIBLE worthless pile of smashed assholes? I just don't get it. Oh that's right...VANOS. And bearings.

Stinky smashed assholes.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
That M2 is one sorry , unappealing looking car. Bravo for BMW though, they must have some great salesmen. Nothing sporty-looking about this car at all.
I would say that there are some aggressive looking features, but they are confined to the area at the front of the car and only below the bumper. However, I do agree for the most part that the M2 doesn't look very sporty.

I love the GT350 and I wouldn't ever trade it for an M2 but this is an absolutely ridiculous statement. It's a good and surprisingly engaging car.
Huh, you're going with ridiculous? You have to admit the BMW is boxy. It's not sleek. I think they are decent enough looking, but I have to agree that BMW M2s don't look very sporty. Really the M3 and M4 don't either, other than maybe a splitter here or there.

Sponsored

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
I would say that there are some aggressive looking features, but they are confined to the area at the front of the car and only below the bumper. However, I do agree for the most part that the M2 doesn't look very sporty.

Huh, you're going with ridiculous? You have to admit the BMW is boxy. It's not sleek. I think they are decent enough looking, but I have to agree that BMW M2s don't look very sporty. Really the M3 and M4 don't either, other than maybe a splitter here or there.
I like how the M2, 3 and 4s look. I think BMW does a nice aggressive look without going overboard, with the M3/4s comp pack 666 wheels being an exception, those are nasty IMO. I think the M5/6 are a little bland for my taste but still classy.

I still love seeing a F80 M3 with its rear flared wheel arches. And I obviously love the muscular look of the GT350.

My unscientific poll of what my friends would generally say about each was this.

M3/4: Cool with a beautiful interior.

GT350: Badass and who gives a shit about the interior when you have everything else the GT350 has.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I like how the M2, 3 and 4s look. I think BMW does a nice aggressive look without going overboard, with the M3/4s comp pack 666 wheels being an exception, those are nasty IMO. I think the M5/6 are a little bland for my taste but still classy.

I still love seeing a F80 M3 with its rear flared wheel arches. And I obviously love the muscular look of the GT350.

My unscientific poll of what my friends would generally say about each was this.

M3/4: Cool with a beautiful interior.

GT350: Badass and who gives a shit about the interior when you have everything else the GT350 has.
I mostly like the looks of BMWs too.

I think the current M2 is the most reminiscent BMW in shape to the E30 M3 which is pretty much THE sports coupe.
Huh, I would think of Porsche as being the one to deserve capital letters in that phrase more than any other. :cheers: