Whipple belt chirp

Boosted5.0_NY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium w/ Performance Package
Finally got around to installing the new tensioner tonight and my idler pulley seems sloppy and moves around a lot with the supplied bolt before fully tighten. Anyone else notice this? Should I try to center it or push to the inside before I tighten the alien bolt?
I had same issue, seems to be the slop between the bolt and the spacer that causes the issue. I tried to center as best as possible and tightened it. So far i have not had any issue related to the new tensioner. My belt chirp did return after the tensioner replacement and Whipple ended up sending out replacement stands for the idler plate. I just performed that install last weekend and I have been chirp free since....
Sponsored

cmylxgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - Magnetic Automatic
Ok...this is how I solved my dilemma. I took the one spacer from the old set that had the correct size hole to center the bolt. Just took the car out for a flog session and the belt stayed on and is riding true. Thanks for the feedback.

-Cmy
2017-05-11 21.05.47 (Medium).jpg

Boosted5.0_NY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
Ok...this is how I solved my dilemma. I took the one spacer from the old set that had the correct size hole to center the bolt. Just took the car out for a flog session and the belt stayed on and is riding true. Thanks for the feedback.

-Cmy
I may do the same. Thanks.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Well I have about 1500 miles now noise free since new idlers and stands have gone on. I kept using my old belt that was making noise just to be sure the it wasn't just a belt change that got rid of the noise. Thanks to Dustin and the Whipple team for their undying customer support and always working harder to improve there products:first:

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
No belt noise

Been running the ultra simplified routing with huge success.
No squeek, no chirp and no insanely loud death squeal on lift throttle 1-2 shift from 6800 rpm in 1st gear.

Uses stock tensioner in stock location.
Idler plate is NOT bolted to supercharger leaving gap if necessary.
No bending/flex load on the idler plate trying to force everything to line up.
Flex loaded idler plate seems to turn the entire front engine cover into a f#!&n sound board like a guitar.
Only 4 standoffs are used: the ones running a perimeter and not any that would be 'inside' the pattern.
Only 1 idler is mounted to the idler plate as shown.
Tested with intake/SC pushed back, forward or max twisted alignment either way and I couldnt get this setup to chirp or squeal.

Tested 4.0, 3.625, 3.5 pulleys:
91" belt w 4.0 pulley (road course)
90.5"-90.2" belt w 3.5 pulley (strip)
8X.X" for 3.0? (add offset idler hole for clearance if going crazy small)

edit* I was asked if this is a cheaper order option to compete with PC/VT/Pax pricing but I cant answer.
This was not done with Whipple.
Car has been run hard like this with 2 road course weekends and 3000+ miles driving in uhhh Mexico...
No belt dusting or pulley slip evident.
IMG_2993.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Very interesting, I've also learned it was the top bolt area contact from plate to SC that caused issues. When my SC and lower intake was unbolted and pushed back as far as it would go, it was still binding on the plate when torqued down. Not sure how far off it is but for mine not enough to make any noise at this point.

By the way nice job on the alternate belt routing:thumbsup:

brandonalberd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic S550
For the sake of not reading back through 35 pages of this, has the new Tensioner/Idler Plate/Standoffs fixed most of you guys issues? Mines a '16. Had the car since 9K miles. Now has 11K and just started doing it. Cold start is worst, drive it for a while it gets less noticeable but still there. Contacted Whipple today so hoping I heard something soon.

brandonalberd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic S550
[MENTION=18374]MidLifeCrisis_Stang[/MENTION] i'm having the same issue as your first video

brandonalberd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic S550
I bought the car with 9K miles and didn't make a peep. Rained like 3 days ago and noticed it a bit. Maybe I've just never noticed it till now. Goes away after its driven for probably an hour or so. Start up is the worst. Drives me insane. Called Whipple today and supposed to be getting a phone call back here soon.

Sponsored

brandonalberd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic S550
I called Whipple around 8:45 their time this morning. Still haven't heard back but hoping to today. I'm super OCD with my vehicles and this ish is about to drive me mad.

Boosted5.0_NY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=18374]MidLifeCrisis_Stang[/MENTION] i'm having the same issue as your first video
I've put on about 1500 chirp free miles since swapping out the idler plate stands. Whipple initially sent out a replacement tensioner, after a couple of hundred miles the chirp returned and Whipple then sent me the new stands. I think (knock on wood) that my chirp issues have been solved. Based on what I've read the tensioner solves a good amount of chirp issues, others also require the stands. In a previous post I mentioned that I did not loosen up the SC as outlined in the install instruction, I was short on time and decided to just do the stands. If the chirp were to return I would then loosen up and pull the SC forward as instructed.

brandonalberd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic S550
I've put on about 1500 chirp free miles since swapping out the idler plate stands. Whipple initially sent out a replacement tensioner, after a couple of hundred miles the chirp returned and Whipple then sent me the new stands. I think (knock on wood) that my chirp issues have been solved. Based on what I've read the tensioner solves a good amount of chirp issues, others also require the stands. In a previous post I mentioned that I did not loosen up the SC as outlined in the install instruction, I was short on time and decided to just do the stands. If the chirp were to return I would then loosen up and pull the SC forward as instructed.
I called this morning at around 8:45 Fresno, CA time. Was supposed to get a call back but I assume they got busy so hoping to hear from them tomorrow if anything. Friend of mine here in town ended up getting billet tensioner, idler stands and idler plate I believe.

SAL08HO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Premium
Hello Guys I just got my car back from a Whipple Install and after driving around I get a very loud chirp or squeal when I let off the Throttle at high rpm in the lower gears ... Also the Supercharger seems to make rattling sound when idleing that sounds like little pebbles going around , Whipple requested a video but says it's normal and so does my mechanic!! Any help or feedback please ? Thanks

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Just find out if you have the current version tensioner and pulley bracket stands and if not the upgraded ones will take care of the chirp. The other sound is normal.
Sponsored