Rumor - The GT500 thread

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
I want to see a whole new name that is not related to heritage. Time for Ford to move forward and break barriers.
The last 13/14 Shelby GT500 video showed how excited the engineers were about building a go for broke car while Carroll Shelby was still alive.
They knew this was the last chance to build a 200 mph beast. They also made a track edition with the trans and diff coolers. Now they have a better platform to work with :ford: You know the 13/14 GT 500 is still faster then the new manual ZL1 acceleration numbers. I'm still amazed @ just how fast this old GT500 is.
Sponsored

Last edited:

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Folks there does not have to be a GT500.

This is the same line of thinking that GM fans had about the Gen 6 Camaro.."THERE HAS TO BE A Z/28!!"...when in reality what they're seeing is the ZL1/1LE.
...however, a GT500 is on the way.

They have spent more time on the GT500 than the GT350. It will redefine the term "HALO" in the Pony Car genre.

Members within the media were told the GT500 will be available to order THIS YEAR. Not sure about a 2017.5 but the 2018...

hated

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 gt500
Well for it to be considered a 2017.5 it will need to be available in April or May at the latest. Would be nice but I doubt it. We will see if the lawsuit against ford because of the gt350 performance issues has any impact on delaying future product or the early death of the gt350. I would think that if enough bad press comes from this you can kiss the gt350 goodbye, not that it is going to be around much longer anyway. You would think that ford would try to make this better before it came to this. Maybe they have and this is a non issue.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Well for it to be considered a 2017.5 it will need to be available in April or May at the latest. Would be nice but I doubt it. We will see if the lawsuit against ford because of the gt350 performance issues has any impact on delaying future product or the early death of the gt350. I would think that if enough bad press comes from this you can kiss the gt350 goodbye, not that it is going to be around much longer anyway. You would think that ford would try to make this better before it came to this. Maybe they have and this is a non issue.
In my opinion, the 2017.5 was likely cancelled due to a few reasons. The major reason being the Ecoboost V8 the GT500 will use had to wait for Direct/Port Injection to make 800hp. Initially, I believe the GT500 was suppose to showcase this new DPI tech but they moved it to the base GT instead (good idea).

A Supercharged V8 had always been the backup plan but even with DPI, a SC 5.2 only gets ya' 650-675 anyway.

Regardless, the GT500 will most likely host Fords first Ecoboost V8. There is a possibility that the SC'd 5.2 makes it to the dealership BUT, I believe they may have reserved that for a Birthday Mach 1 in 2019. The last of the Supercharged Mustangs...

People are rather shocked how low the hood is. I would be completely shocked if they did indeed find a way to use an honest Twin Turbo... I think there were several engine options Ford could have used.

loubif

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
2016 SG FoRS, Forged, Moonroof
* It will be a MY2019
* You will see it first at the 2018 NAIAS
* Will go on sale in the summer of 2018
* Will not be a TT
* Will have a larger fixed wing on the back that you have seen in pictures
* Will beat the current GT350 around the track
* Will be an absolute monster
Found it for you [MENTION=13387]Go Time[/MENTION], may I ask where this "fixed wing" has been spotted before?

Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Notice he said CURRENT Gt350 around the track. Makes it sound like NEXT gt350 will be faster

r1racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Not that it means squat but my Ford dealer seems to believe the next gen will have a turbo charged voodoo under the hood.

mbollman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Mustange GT
Hi everyone, first post here, but have been a mustang fan for more than 20 years now. I don't currently own a late model mustang myself, but do have a foxbody. I have been following the GT500 rumor mill for a while now in hopes of possibly scoring a crate motor as an engine swap for my foxbody.

Anyway, the latest rumor posted here includes a photo with what is rumored to be a 5.2L supercharged engine for the GT500.

http://www.fordnxt.com/news/leaked-images-confirm-2019-shelby-gt500-is-real/

Just wanted to pass it along.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Hi everyone, first post here, but have been a mustang fan for more than 20 years now. I don't currently own a late model mustang myself, but do have a foxbody. I have been following the GT500 rumor mill for a while now in hopes of possibly scoring a crate motor as an engine swap for my foxbody.

Anyway, the latest rumor posted here includes a photo with what is rumored to be a 5.2L supercharged engine for the GT500.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2087059&postcount=1652

Sponsored

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153

1e4fjo.jpg

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
I missed it too, thanks for sharing.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
No 7.0? If this is true then my next sports car is a Corvette. What a let down! I’ll
still drive my little V6 Mustang as my DD. But I wanted a big engine in the Mustang and thought the GT500 was it.

65Terdlingua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang
No 7.0? If this is true then my next sports car is a Corvette. What a let down! I’ll
still drive my little V6 Mustang as my DD. But I wanted a big engine in the Mustang and thought the GT500 was it.
To be fair, there was never anything linking the 7.0l engine to the Mustang, and it was a stretch for anyone to think that would happen. There was more reason for that not to happen then for it to be at all plausible.
Sponsored