2021 MUSTANG (S650) - 7th Generation Mustang Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
I 100% disagree with both of those statements. They seem pretty foolish to me, actually.

I agree that it's likely that in the future some crooked politicians and greedy corporations probably will try to make me buy something I don't want. It's best for me to speak out publicly and fight tooth and nail against it. I will definitely vote against politicians that have taken bribes or for some other reason believe that electric vehicles are good for the environment or better in some way than vehicles with ICEs.

It definitely looks like a Mustang ripoff. I agree on not wanting a 3 cylinder turbo diesel engine as well.
This is the trend. And it has little to with the environment in some cases. EV have significantly less operational costs associated with them in general. While the entry cost may be higher, and that is expected to grow some; the vehicles over their life cycle have much less cost to the customer, due in large part to the reduction of consumables and wear items.

Hybrids or Hybrid-light vehicles with BSG systems will keep the ICE and the industry around it alive for a much longer timeframe. What the EPA considers or could fall into the category of emissions defeat devices is growing. Most vehicles are not evaluated in their highest option set by volume, with all supplementary systems on such as AC, Radio, and driver assists features running place an additional load on your engine. Most of customers who we work in these areas had a slight sigh of relief with the current administration, however no one is changing their long term plan and they are quickly realizing this administration will likely not run full term.
Sponsored

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
Although I’m of course biased, I think the S550 is one of the most beautiful Mustangs ever made. I didn’t feel that way initially, but when I saw it in person it blew me away. I think this iteration has only added to the legacy of the Mustang name and wouldn’t be surprised if the S650 didn’t incorporate design elements from our cars. What those elements will be and how they wil blend into the new shape is the real question. I for one am looking forward to finding out!

As for the EV or Hybrid Mustang, as long as it continues the styling cues and performance image that is Mustang, I don’t see how it won’t be embraced by the Mustang community. I remember when the “Mustang II’s” were maligned and made fun of back in the 80’s when I and many of us loved our Fox bodied cars. Now I’m seeing King Cobras at shows as well as articles in Mustang Monthly and other magazines on restored examples. There’s parts for these cars, resto-mods and perfect concourse restorations as well. I’d imagine if those 74-77 Mustangs can find love, it won’t take nearly as long for us to embrace Hybrid and EV Mustangs which will grace our garages next to one or more older Mustangs. Change is the one constant in the universe, embrace it or you miss out on something very special.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The evolution of transportation has happened for various reasons over the past thousand years, but one thing remains true - it happens because new modes are more efficient and cost effective.
I thought your post was really great in general, so of course I picked out the one statement in there I could fight with. :)

Another reason change to transportation happens is due to crooked politicians making laws that force change even though people don't want the change. The ICE is quite an efficient and effective mode of transport. Electric is still very inconvenient, and the batteries those cars use are poisoning the environment.

This is the trend. And it has little to with the environment in some cases. EV have significantly less operational costs associated with them in general. While the entry cost may be higher, and that is expected to grow some; the vehicles over their life cycle have much less cost to the customer, due in large part to the reduction of consumables and wear items.
I don't believe that EV have less operational costs, especially over their life cycle. Once I see some EVs that have been on the road for 30-40 years without replacing batteries or motors - then I might start believing their costs have gotten lower.

White_GT_CS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
You're allowed to have your own opinion ;)

Change is hard. The problem is that change happens whether we want it to or not.

The evolution of transportation has happened for various reasons over the past thousand years, but one thing remains true - it happens because new modes are more efficient and cost effective.

As someone in the tech industry, I can promise you that engineers don't develop products to make your life more miserable :)

There were people that were terrified of giving up a horse for a vehicle powered by explosions, and there will be people that will hate the idea of driving a battery operated vehicle (or worse, having a battery operated vehicle drive by itself).

It's all coming - sit back and enjoy the ride :)
I wanted to stay out of this conversation but couldn't help comment on one tiny thing:

It's all about the government exerting control. If electric vehicles were truly better (cheaper, easier to maintain, reliable over the long run, etc.) then let the MARKET decide.

Why give subsidies to the electric manufacturers, like Tesla?
Why give subsidies to the general public?
Why impose ridiculous fuel economy targets?
Why ban ICE engines?

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
Another reason change to transportation happens is due to crooked politicians making laws that force change even though people don't want the change. The ICE is quite an efficient and effective mode of transport. Electric is still very inconvenient, and the batteries those cars use are poisoning the environment.
That's a very valid point, and I completely agree that the gov should quit subsidizing the EV auto makers - the transition to 100% EV on the road will happen - they're just helping make it happen sooner.

With that said, at this point I fully believe that auto makers are just lining their pockets with the money. When the subsidies stop, the prices of electric vehicles will drop some to help them remain competitive.

Batteries are another issue - before all cars on the road go fully electric, there will have to be a revolutionary change in how batteries are made and what they are composed of - I think there is something big in battery tech just over the horizon (several phone makers have hinted that exponential increases in battery life are coming soon).

All I know is that within 20-30 years, how we drive will change drastically. I've said it for a while now, my toddler will learn how to drive, but my grand children won't be able to fathom that we were allowed to fully operate these machines :D

Sponsored

White_GT_CS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
That's a very valid point, and I completely agree that the gov should quit subsidizing the EV auto makers - the transition to 100% EV on the road will happen - they're just helping make it happen sooner.

With that said, at this point I fully believe that auto makers are just lining their pockets with the money. When the subsidies stop, the prices of electric vehicles will drop some to help them remain competitive.

Batteries are another issue - before all cars on the road go fully electric, there will have to be a revolutionary change in how batteries are made and what they are composed of - I think there is something big in battery tech just over the horizon (several phone makers have hinted that exponential increases in battery life are coming soon).

All I know is that within 20-30 years, how we drive will change drastically. I've said it for a while now, my toddler will learn how to drive, but my grand children won't be able to fathom that we were allowed to fully operate these machines :D
As a car enthusiast who really enjoys driving, I'll be ruing the day when the government and legislation bans driving vehicles. It would be a sad day in the world. :tsk:

Agree on all your points.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Yes I do, it refers to iterations. I am also very familiar with what actually constitutes vehicle architectures. It's one of the services the company I work provides to other OEMs.

What an OEM will declare about a platform is not necessarily indicative of what physically rolls of the assembly line.

What is carryover, common, modified, or new coupled with the manufacturing processes is what really defines a vehicle architecture.

Every OEM does it differently, but there is most certainly trends and legacy designs consider and internal best practices.

That being said. Please read all the posts, I legitimately forget about D6R. Even though I have commented on it in the past.

However I am curious. I have pretty good contacts at Ford. While body structure is not their responsibility, they are required to design around it for S650.

So their comments to me could be taking to ways. There is still alot of legacy S550 considerations being used, which could be the Mustang flexing aspects of D6R. Or something has changed and maybe it's not going on that platform.

I find that uncommon from Ford giving how they interact with some suppliers for far future state and such. But, from the clients we work with vehicle programs do sometimes change in a big way.

Sorry, but... :lol:

Your are attempting to formulate an opinion and somehow think, the radios, knobs/switches, battery cables, harnesses, carpeting, widgets are what defines "something new" about a car...?

You do not remotely understand what s197 or s550 means.

These are two completely different chassis, that are designed structurally different and represent a new chassis (engineering) design. Means the assembly line has to be refitted to accommodate the newly designed chasses, etc. (& vice-versa). These new structure/frame/unit-body, a next generations usually do cost $Billions and are an enormous engineering feat that take many years of structural design and CFD before a car/chassis like the Mustang s550 is ready. Engineering, uno..?

Again, OEMs have nothing to do with, why a new model car is designated as "new chassis". As resourcing OEMs & different components (window motors, steering wheels, window glass, materials, carpeting, steel, etc), from these vendors.. is an ancillary concern to a new model, or it's goals. OEM's are aftermarket deal more with fit & finish, and quality concerns. More of things such as aesthetics (materials, colors) and about styling, more so than about engineering the properties and goals of the new design model. (structural integrity, NVH, torquebox, k-framing, etc)

Which starts with Engineering & building a competent chassis for racing, etc.

After all the Engineers are done designing a new chassis, hence "new model"... then the artist/design & marketing teams take over.. and design the superficial stuff. That is where OEM come in.

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford f250 turbo diesel and 2016 mustang svo
Sorry, but... :lol:

Your are attempting to formulate an opinion and somehow think, the radios, knobs/switches, battery cables, harnesses, carpeting, widgets are what defines "something new" about a car...?

These are two completely different chassis, that are designed structurally different and represent a new chassis (engineering) design. Means the assembly line has to be refitted to accommodate the newly designed chasses, etc. (& vice-versa). These new structure/frame/unit-body, a next generations usually do cost $Billions and are an enormous engineering feat that take many years of structural design and CFD before a car/chassis like the Mustang s550 is ready. Engineering, uno..?

Again, OEMs have nothing to do with, why a new model car is designated as "new chassis". As resourcing OEMs & different components (window motors, steering wheels, window glass, materials, carpeting, steel, etc), from these vendors.. is an ancillary concern to a new model, or it's goals. OEM's are aftermarket deal more with fit & finish, and quality concerns. More of things such as aesthetics (materials, colors) and about styling, more so than about engineering the properties and goals of the new design model. (structural integrity, NVH, torquebox, k-framing, etc)

Which starts with Engineering & building a competent chassis for racing, etc.

After all the Engineers are done designing a new chassis, hence "new model"... then the artist/design & marketing teams take over.. and design the superficial stuff. That is where OEM come in.
Mechanical. Structural or civil what degrees is it well said mate:clap2:

Carbon Addict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350

These are two completely different chassis, that are designed structurally different and represent a new chassis (engineering) design. Means the assembly line has to be refitted to accommodate the newly designed chasses, etc. (& vice-versa).
giphy.gif

Sponsored

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
Just wondering how long Ford will stick with the Evos (aka fish mouth) design language.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I hope so. Ford needs to bring back the fastback profile.
Da fuk?

You do realize that the current S550 has the fastback profile...and is indeed called the "fastback" don't you?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.