Sponsored

End all be all of Downshifting

BskooL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I'm looking at purchasing a 2017 GT PP here soon. I'm already super paranoid about things going wrong and prematurely wearing out the clutch or tranny. I've been reading every forum I can about downshifting, rev matching, double clutching, heal toe the whole bit. Some places say that you should downshift and rev match every time they decelerate coming up to a light. Some people say they put it in neutral and just use the brakes. So which is it? Say I'm coming up to a redlight in 5-6th. Should I rev match and downshift down to 3rd before I clutch in and stop or just nuetral and brake. Also, I've heard conflicting theories on rev matching where some say to double clutch and some say to disengage clutch, blip, downshift, release clutch. With synchromesh we shouldn't have to double clutch correct? Please help a paranoid soon to be owner feel more comfortable about making this purchase.
Sponsored

Muff Muff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue GT PP
For city driving from stop light to stop light, I put it in neutral and coast to the light while braking.

For highway driving, I match revs when downshifting because the chances of being rear ended in highway traffic are much higher, and it's more important to maintain momentum on the highway in general.

The only reason not to put it in neutral and coast is because now you no longer have control over acceleration if you need it in an emergency.

Mustang_GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP - Triple Black
Just drive it and have fun. Do all the above and enjoy. You bought (or will) it to have fun.

ghst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP 401a RIP
Sounds like you're overthinking it. I've been driving manual for maybe 4 days now, and I've got it down.

As somebody who's learning on a 15 GT PP, I've noticed it's a VERY forgiving car. Don't stress it. Just buy it, learn, drive it, and you'll have it down in no time.

Sponsored

Luisiv32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT
I just got mine on Friday and am already getting the hang of it. It's my first manual and I have stalled a bit. I looked up so many videos on downshifting and so on but the best has been just driving it and actually getting the practice. I wouldn't worry about it to much. If it's your first manual I understand because it's an expensive car and a prized possession but you'll get better as you drive it. You'll have it down in a week.

fordmustanglove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford mustang GT
just practice your rev match, and yes you are suppose to on city and highway

ghst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP 401a RIP
I just got mine on Friday and am already getting the hang of it. It's my first manual and I have stalled a bit. I looked up so many videos on downshifting and so on but the best has been just driving it and actually getting the practice. I wouldn't worry about it to much. If it's your first manual I understand because it's an expensive car and a prized possession but you'll get better as you drive it. You'll have it down in a week.
Yup! Gotta put yourself in stressful situations and just do it. Only way to learn.

I was scared to hit the main roads during peak hour traffic, but said screw it, and forced myself to drive across town at 5:00pm. It was insanely easy!

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
I go to neutral and brake at stop lights but that's not technically legal. I'm supposed to be in gear through out the stopping process. So I watch cars around me and keep track of the gears. I've never had an issue driving an MT with this approach. Occasionally I'll need to shove it in gear but no problems.

Generally speaking MT's by virtue of requiring more attention keep you more focused the driving.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
+1. What Franz and Muff said.

Sponsored

Shouldhavegotthegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB 4x4
I down shift when ever I feel like it. It's not an "always" thing. My last mustang had 65k before I traded it and never noticed anything weird or wrong with it. I would think missing gears would have a more adverse effect than not rev matching. I've been driving manuals for years and never really learned heel toe or rev matching and it's always been fine. Just drive it. These are meant to be driven hard and fast.

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Man I swear I had the same exact fears as you when I first got my GT350. It's my first manual. 12.5k miles and only 5 months later, I've gotten rev matching down almost perfectly, but still can't heel toe downshift. I also read numerous forums and kept seeing everyone debate about the proper way to downshift. I ride with friends and they just throw it in neutral and back into gear when they're approaching lights and getting off interstate exits, etc. and it's rarely a smooth transition, although they've had tons of experience and years driving manual. Personally I love to rev match and it's smooth like 90% of the time for my passenger. Same with upshifting.

If I'm in a higher gear like 4th or 5th and approaching a light that just turned red, I'll just leave it in that gear until I hit about 1.2k rpms or so and then neutral for the stop. If it's a light that I know that's going to turn green soon, I'll downshift as long as no one's behind me (since it'll take ages for me to get to the light this way) and already be in the right gear by time the light turns green.

Not sure if my driving habits are bad or not, but it's always a smooth ride for me and the passenger, so that works for me.

Semi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
79 ford f250 7.5l/2015 gt pp ruby red
There's absolutely nothing wrong with downshifting and not hitting the gas pedal when you do it.

You're overthinking. 45 years old and always just downshifted when necessary, now if you're trying to save some speed through the corner on a track by all means...

But there's no wrong way. Shift 1-6. Downshift the same way.

LG23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT
Engine braking vs coasting in neutral and just using the brakes to stop is preference. Like others said if you coast in neutral, in the case of an emergency you're gonna need to rev match and throw it in the right gear to get out of the way or something but that's pretty easy anyway once you get used to the rpms in each gear to your speed. Depends on the situation but for daily driving in the streets I typically let it engine brake in the gear im already in (around 5th) and just slightly press the brakes... then neutral and brake. I don't even bother downshift rev matching when approaching a stop or light unless I know it's going to turn green right away or if I know I'm not making a complete stop.

As for how to downshift rev-match- If it's a one gear downshift, since its a small blip for about 1k rpms over I'll just hold the clutch in and blip then downshift. If it's 2 or more (if I'm downshifting from 6th to 4th) since I'm going to blip the throttle for about 2000 rpms I'll typically double clutch downshift rev-match. Really though, unless I'm in a hurry or driving spirited, I always just double clutch rev-match because the clutch isn't in when you blip the throttle. It seems more tedious but after a while it's so damn easy to do it becomes natural.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I engine brake whenever possible then neutral around 1k and brake to stop. Only time I downshift is if I know I am not coming to a complete stop.
Sponsored