Sponsored

Just installed my OPG/TG(after a year of questionable WOTS)

Obsol3te

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
God damn... Just finished up last night with the install and then did the nerve racking engine start to follow. Removing those timing chains and having the risk of being off a tooth or so is definitely something youre worrying about the entire time.
She purred like a kitten and luckily I don't have to tear the front of the engine down again.
Still need to change the oil and add some coolant, but this project took some time for sure!
And to Ford with their wonderful placement of the oil pickup tube mounting hardware...
F you!
I do not have small hands by any means, that rear bolt was such a huge PITA
Other than that the install was pretty straight forward. Just be sure you have a decent harmonic balancer puller. I had to make a couple trips to the hardware store due to renting the wrong type of puller.
Even when I had the 3 Jaw type, I had to modify the thing to remove the harmonic balancer.

Overall would I do it again to save $800. Yeah I guess, but if im helping someone, they can do those GD oil pump pickup bolts while I have a beer.
I went with Boundary for the OPG and TSS for the crank and ARP hardware.
Purchased through the wonderful guys at Hypermotive [MENTION=9610]jayman33[/MENTION]
Sponsored

Doctor Fishtail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
God damn... Just finished up last night with the install and then did the nerve racking engine start to follow. Removing those timing chains and having the risk of being off a tooth or so is definitely something youre worrying about the entire time.
She purred like a kitten and luckily I don't have to tear the front of the engine down again.
Still need to change the oil and add some coolant, but this project took some time for sure!
And to Ford with their wonderful placement of the oil pickup tube mounting hardware...
F you!
I do not have small hands by any means, that rear bolt was such a huge PITA
Other than that the install was pretty straight forward. Just be sure you have a decent harmonic balancer puller. I had to make a couple trips to the hardware store due to renting the wrong type of puller.
Even when I had the 3 Jaw type, I had to modify the thing to remove the harmonic balancer.

Overall would I do it again to save $800. Yeah I guess, but if im helping someone, they can do those GD oil pump pickup bolts while I have a beer.
I went with Boundary for the OPG and TSS for the crank and ARP hardware.
Purchased through the wonderful guys at Hypermotive [MENTION=9610]jayman33[/MENTION]
Good job. The OPG and TG are a great piece of insurance. :thumbsup:

Jeff's FRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Just picked my car up from getting the OPG and CG done. My install was a little less than $800, and I'd gladly pay to have it done again! Lol

I went with the same gears as you...Boundary and TSS

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Glad to see fellas here getting this done it's a great insurance against the dreaded OPG disaster lottery I was able to hit. Still amazes me how many make great power and get away without it. It sure feels good though to have it done and even better if you can do it yourself. The knowledge confidence and bond you make with your machine after self instal is everlasting and rewarding. Of course aside from those torturous oil tube pickup bolts they just bring out the F bomb in all of us.

Sponsored

Evo_Rob

Mmm... Boost...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Yeah yeah, guys. I'll get around to doing mine. No need to rub it in lol. Really just waiting on not-so-shitty weather and Tyler's schedule to line up with mine.

Phoenix

Instagram: PhoenixNFA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech AvGrey/Black Stripes
Don't need one on the roush kit. They have a warranty

:lol:

smokinzx14r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT A6 3.55 Gears ..
Still need to do mine .... 350 passes so for and no problems with the stock OPG .. fingers crossed :)

Sponsored

zaquhree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 GT
It's a nice confidence boost

smokinzx14r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT A6 3.55 Gears ..
It's a nice confidence boost
I agree , I'm laying off the track for the summer ( Too damn Hot ) .. That will give me some time to do the OPGs and timing gear as well as up grade the rear-end ..My clutches in my 8.8 pig rear are shot ..Detroit Locker now has a unit for the S550 , so I will be getting one soon .. Also need new drag radials and install my 800 HP axles .. None of this stuff will make the car faster but it should keep me from having any problems when I start racing again in the Fall ..:thumbsup:

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
So the general consensus is, many more didn't install the OPG and CSS than did? But like Roh92cp said, it kinda sounds like it is hitting the lottery. I talked to three fairly local performance shops that primarily work on Mustang's, and they never heard of anyone breaking either of them. These shops are installing supercharger's and turbos on their customer's cars, and nothing, none of them had a problem with them. It's just strange why it's so hit or miss.

FIVE_LITER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP Competition Orange
So the general consensus is, many more didn't install the OPG and CSS than did? But like Roh92cp said, it kinda sounds like it is hitting the lottery. I talked to three fairly local performance shops that primarily work on Mustang's, and they never heard of anyone breaking either of them. These shops are installing supercharger's and turbos on their customer's cars, and nothing, none of them had a problem with them. It's just strange why it's so hit or miss.
I don't see why people gamble it. $600 in parts and 4-8 hours labor can save you thousands of dollars and quite a bit of down time down the road.

I beat on my car in confidence now :D

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
I don't see why people gamble it. $600 in parts and 4-8 hours labor can save you thousands of dollars and quite a bit of down time down the road.

I beat on my car in confidence now :D
Yep, you absolutely have a point.
Sponsored