Sponsored

Wheel installation torque?

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
I believe all aftermarket wheels come with instructions including torque specs. If the manufacturer of the wheel tells you 100 ft/lbs you use 100 ft/lbs. If the manufacturer of the wheel tells you to use the vehicle manufacturers specs, in this case, you use 150 ft/lbs.
Sponsored

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
You're so far off the mark, the wheel has got nothing at all to do with the torque spec of lugnuts and you're dispensing faulty info. You should probably keep that silly opinion in whatever shop you run where you're liable for it but not here where people who don't know better will copy you.
good to see you not come across as a dick :tsk:

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pack #G5531 Avalanche Grey
Yea, after this weeks rain. See how it sits then make a decision on springs.
Just so you know I went a bit further for this thread.

I spoke to the following companies and this is what they have stated.

MRR 100 ft lbs
Velgen 100 ft lbs
Avant Garde 100 ft lbs
ferrada 100 ft lbs

Also when I worked for the old shop and we did 6gr installs it was at 100 ft lbs

Just so there is no confusion about this.

OP
OP
Jdenkevitz

Jdenkevitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby GT PP. Former 2016 Ecoboost owner.
I called my dealers service department and they told me 148 ft lbs, but made the caveat that was for the 19 inch performance package wheels.

Thanks for everyone's input

Sponsored

LG23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT
Just meet in the middle and torque to 120 /thread

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
I've never heard of wheel manufacturers determining the toque for the wheels. What would be the rational? The torque is determined by the lugs they are mounted to. Why do you think basically the same wheel on a 2014 would be torqued at 100 lb ft vs 150 lb ft on the 15. The size of the lug increased. I'm not arguing the point, I'd love to understand why any wheel manufacturer would determine the torque spec unless they thought 150 lb ft would damage the wheel?

The owner's manual says 150 lb ft and the Helm service manual says 148 lb ft. Unless the wheel manufacturer was worried about it damaging the wheel, I'd stick with that.

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
FYI: I have the performance pack and ran the lugs down to 90 ft/lbs by accident. I was doing brakes on the Wrangler then popped a few beers and got motivated so I swapped out my lugs on the Mustang for the black powder coated ones later that day, and I forgot to reset the torque wrench.

Anyways, it worked fine for about a month then I got some vibration and trashed one of my rear wheel bearing. Dealer was cool about it and replaced it under warranty but they advised me 148 ft/lbs exactly. So it's a real number.

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
FYI: I have the performance pack and ran the lugs down to 90 ft/lbs by accident. I was doing brakes on the Wrangler then popped a few beers and got motivated so I swapped out my lugs on the Mustang for the black powder coated ones later that day, and I forgot to reset the torque wrench.

Anyways, it worked fine for about a month then I got some vibration and trashed one of my rear wheel bearing. Dealer was cool about it and replaced it under warranty but they advised me 148 ft/lbs exactly. So it's a real number.
It is a real number you are correct. I can easily say the setups we do here for aftermarket wheels at 100 ft lbs have not had a single issue and i'm talking over years of work. We always advise regardless of aftermarket or oem applications recheck the torque after 100 miles of putting anything back on the car.

side note: That had to be some damn good beer care to share the name lol. :cool:

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
It is a real number you are correct. I can easily say the setups we do here for aftermarket wheels at 100 ft lbs have not had a single issue and i'm talking over years of work. We always advise regardless of aftermarket or oem applications recheck the torque after 100 miles of putting anything back on the car.

side note: That had to be some damn good beer care to share the name lol. :cool:
That was back in September so it was probably St Arnold's Octoberfest. St Arnold's is a Texas only craft brewery based in Houston, Texas. I'm subscribed to a beer thread on RDF.org so I happen to have pics of my beers.

So we keep this thread on track. the tab is .75 ft/lbs.

Sponsored

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
That was back in September so it was probably St Arnold's Octoberfest. St Arnold's is a Texas only craft brewery based in Houston, Texas. I'm subscribed to a beer thread on RDF.org so I happen to have pics of my beers.

So we keep this thread on track. the tab is .75 ft/lbs.
Well seems imma have to come to Texas for a few days in September lol. :cheers:

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Paul, is there a reason for the 100 lb ft or is it just because that's the way it was done before. Like I said, the torque value is determined my the lug it's getting fastened to. I figured I'd google it and offer something other than my years of hair graying.

Let's discuss what happens when you turn a nut or bolt head. The threads are a form of inclined plane or wedge, the simplest type of tool. As the inclined plane is wedged (turned) into the threads, it applies a force along the bolt's length, effectively making the bolt a tension spring. This tension in the bolt shank clamps two parts together. If the clamping force is greater than the load exerted between, say, the head and the block, those two pieces will never spontaneously get loose.​

From here: Torque Wrench 101: How to Get Just the Right Amount of Force

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
Paul, is there a reason for the 100 lb ft or is it just because that's the way it was done before. Like I said, the torque value is determined my the lug it's getting fastened to. I figured I'd google it and offer something other than my years of hair graying.

Let's discuss what happens when you turn a nut or bolt head. The threads are a form of inclined plane or wedge, the simplest type of tool. As the inclined plane is wedged (turned) into the threads, it applies a force along the bolt's length, effectively making the bolt a tension spring. This tension in the bolt shank clamps two parts together. If the clamping force is greater than the load exerted between, say, the head and the block, those two pieces will never spontaneously get loose.​

From here: Torque Wrench 101: How to Get Just the Right Amount of Force
Part of it is because it has just been done this way as long as I have been in the business, the other is the size of the lug nuts since it is a smaller lug nut too much pressure can snap it.

For instance the forged aluminum nuts my buddies use for tracking on their track wheels. From what they have informed me if they did it at 150 ft lbs it would actually damage the lug nut so they do them at 90-100 ft lbs.

Im not making this up and being 100% upfront and transparent.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Part of it is because it has just been done this way as long as I have been in the business, the other is the size of the lug nuts since it is a smaller lug nut too much pressure can snap it.

For instance the forged aluminum nuts my buddies use for tracking on their track wheels. From what they have informed me if they did it at 150 ft lbs it would actually damage the lug nut so they do them at 90-100 ft lbs.

Im not making this up and being 100% upfront and transparent.
Well that would be a bad thing if the wheels are designed where they can't fit a lug nut that can take enough torque to properly fasten the wheel.

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
Well that would be a bad thing if the wheels are designed where they can't fit a lug nut that can take enough torque to properly fasten the wheel.
of course, these are designed as stated to take a 19 mm well most are to take a 19 mm 3/4" acorn lug nut.
Sponsored