Sponsored

Negotiating one dealer's terms with another?

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
I'm currently talking with two different dealers in two different states on a 17 GT w/PP. Here's the issue...

Dealer A... Is offering a $1000 lower price and offers lifetime warranty on the powertrain. The car in question is black and I want Magnetic.

Dealer B... Is offering to beat Dealer A's price, but as far as I know they do NOT offer the lifetime warranty on the powertrain. They have Magnetic.

If I do let Dealer B have a crack at beating the price, how do I figure the lifetime powertrain coverage into the deal?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Lifetime powertrain warranties are through THAT DEALER only and their use are at the discretion of the dealer, which Ford cannot help you with. For example, my Chevy truck had a lifetime warranty with the dealer. I asked, "Be honest, if I come here still owning the truck at 90K and the engine blows, are you going to replace it?" Guy said, "Not without a fight". Those lifetime powertrain warranties are just pieces of paper, they don't really have value. If you want the Magnetic, which I agree with you on, then call Dealer B and say, give me free oil changes every 5K for 3 years and you got a deal. You'll get more value out of that AND have maintenance records.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lifetime powertrain warranties are through THAT DEALER only and their use are at the discretion of the dealer, which Ford cannot help you with. For example, my Chevy truck had a lifetime warranty with the dealer. I asked, "Be honest, if I come here still owning the truck at 90K and the engine blows, are you going to replace it?" Guy said, "Not without a fight". Those lifetime powertrain warranties are just pieces of paper, they don't really have value. If you want the Magnetic, which I agree with you on, then call Dealer B and say, give me free oil changes every 5K for 3 years and you got a deal. You'll get more value out of that AND have maintenance records.
I appreciate the clarification, and that was my concern...that it really didn't mean a whole lot.

However, I'm 2-4hrs away from both dealers. My bargaining chip might be for weathertech mats front/rear/trunk. Not sure if they have any capability there though.

Thanks

-Emt1581

cdq85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Boostey Pants
dealership that i work at also boasts a lifetime warranty. check who that warrany is backed by before you write it off as worthless. i agree that some companies will put you through more of a fight than some claims would even be worth. some are worth it. our company is backed by gulf states and with a little research, you will find they are a very large and reputable company. with our warranty, as long as you can basically prove ALL oil changes, you will be fine without much of a fight. so the moral of the story is to ask who backs their warranty and do a little digging on it.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dealership that i work at also boasts a lifetime warranty. check who that warrany is backed by before you write it off as worthless. i agree that some companies will put you through more of a fight than some claims would even be worth. some are worth it. our company is backed by gulf states and with a little research, you will find they are a very large and reputable company. with our warranty, as long as you can basically prove ALL oil changes, you will be fine without much of a fight. so the moral of the story is to ask who backs their warranty and do a little digging on it.

That's why I asked to see the specific terms of the warranty. If it seems arbitrary...no thanks. But if it looks good, that might be worth the slight difference in price.

I also have to check with my insurance company if they'd pay for a 100+ tow back down to MD if it needed to be repaired/serviced. They did a toy that was close to 100 miles no problem.

Some might say to get the AAA gold or platinum plan and we had that, but it was a complete waste of money for our purposes as we rarely go on vacation and when we did they didn't have any discounts anywhere plus we don't go out to dinner much.

-Emt1581

Sponsored

canyon ed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ED
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible Premium Auto W/PP1 NVRMADE
My brother got the lifetime warranty on his Toyota from a dealer in Long Beach CA. and they went out of business.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update:

I was told the following today in regard to the dealer's lifetime powertrain warranty...

"All Customer For Life benefits are available here at our dealership and the Powertrain For Life is available to be used at any Ford service facility. Stipulations mimic the Ford Powertrain warranty in that you must have factory maintenance performed."

Now that tells me that I can go to ANY Ford dealer/mechanic for the life of the vehicle to have service performed which is amazing!! However, I've never read that Ford as a company offers a lifetime powertrain warranty at any price. So I'm not understanding how it's possible. I'm also confused what "factory maintenance" is?

-Emt1581

canyon ed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ED
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible Premium Auto W/PP1 NVRMADE
Galpin Ford offers that on used cars but you must get all the maintenance work done there to qualify.

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
As soon as you start to mod all that goes out the window take that into account . If you add a blower ever that power train will mean nothing lol

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As soon as you start to mod all that goes out the window take that into account . If you add a blower ever that power train will mean nothing lol
Moot point now. Both deals fell through. Koons was one of the dealers. Instead of counter-offering, they jacked up the price and claimed it was due to a miscalculation. Then another dealer didn't have the color I wanted in stock and haven't given any indication of getting it.

Back to square one. Maybe the powers that be are trying to tell me to get an 18? :)

-Emt1581

Omega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP 401A, Roush 727
Call Lebanon Ford Ohio, ask for Frank, tell him Jason (omega) sent you. :D
Not that I really have any real pull, but might help since they are still doing all my aftermarket mods.

They are not as big as Koons but they sell a LOT of mustangs. Last week they had 60 on the lot.
Sponsored