Sponsored

Aftermarket Intake Plenum/Manifold

Rika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 v6 auto
Hi All,
Just wondering if any manufacturer or individual make any aftermarket intake for our V6? I've searched but nothing comes up, which probably means nobody making one for us. Hope someone with the know how or one of the bigger company decides to make some more go fast goodies for our V6. Just wanted to rant because of little support from aftermarket company's. Anyways, I'm really impressed with all the people posting with their knowledge and expertise in modifying all kinds of stuff. Thank you all for posting your hard work in modifying our V6. Wish I was more mechanically inclined.
Just wanted to rant and give props all our V6 community tonight.

Rika
Sponsored

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
That's part of the fun of the V6, not everything is ready-made and it forces creativity. I do wish there was a "Cosworth" style plenum we could upgrade to but there isn't. The good news is our plenums aren't "bad". All they need is some good porting. Glad you started this thread because that was going to be my next step now that I have a tune en-route. Does anyone know who ports besides SuperSix Motorsports? I would like to know what options are out there.

OP
OP

Rika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 v6 auto
Thanks for your replies,
Guess someone needs to fabricate one for us. I really like the old school intake manifolds like the ones I had on my 92 lx foxbody v8. The plastic intake does not really look nice in my engine bay.
Rika

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
Thanks for your replies,
Guess someone needs to fabricate one for us. I really like the old school intake manifolds like the ones I had on my 92 lx foxbody v8. The plastic intake does not really look nice in my engine bay.
Rika
Engines back then just looked better in general. I'm willing to bet your plastic 3.7 manifold outlfows the old 302 OHV intake manifold. They use plastic now because it is easier to shape, lighter, and flows fairly well. This is all in exchange of aesthetics.

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
I have actually toyed with the idea of a custom intake.. Problem is (if you can call it a Problem) it seems that our intake is actually quite good as is.

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So after some researching, looks like I found a good performance shop that can port upper and lowers for around $300ish. A company called TB Built from Peachtree GA. I will be calling them this week for a quote.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
So after some researching, looks like I found a good performance shop that can port upper and lowers for around $300ish. A company called TB Built from Peachtree GA.
I had contacted them a few weeks ago! They want $325 and apparently have cores available where you can order and have a pair shipped. Once installed you can send them your old intakes for the core exchange.

While that is the best price I have found for ported intakes, it is still a bit much for what I want to spend. As such I will be doing a DIY port job on mine! :thumbsup:

Sponsored

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had contacted them a few weeks ago! They want $325 and apparently have cores available where you can order and have a pair shipped. Once installed you can send them your old intakes for the core exchange.

While that is the best price I have found for ported intakes, it is still a bit much for what I want to spend. As such I will be doing a DIY port job on mine! :thumbsup:
Still a lot cheaper than Super Six and the gains over competitors (~35whp) seems like a major purchasing point. Pricing is not too bad and I don't trust my own self to port as I know bad porting can hurt more than help, so I will leave it up to them lol. Post pictures of your port work when you get it done, sounds fun.

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
Im sorry...but nobodies ported manifolds are.gunna get you 35hp. Thats like bbk saying the shorty headers get you 14hp lol

Your gunna see 15 to 20hp...tops....from the best ported manifolds

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Every car is different and it really depends on your combination to determine how much you make in the real world. Here is the thread of people dyno'ng those similar numbers: http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f356/t377501/
(I will say I'm not sure if that was with the help of the nitrous or not, the poster didn't really make it clear in the thread)
Either way ported manifolds are still an impressive gain in the naturally aspirated world where we can't up the boost 1 psi and get big gains.

shadowsong6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 mustang v6
I'm eventually going to make my own, but it is a ways out. Been working on designs for months. I'll probably make the prototype out of sheet metal,then if it does show gains like I want it too I'll figure out a way to have it 3d printed so it will A) Be better to look at and B) I'll be able to sell them faster.
Ideally it will have a front mount throttle body, fitted for the 5.0 TB, and designed so a 5.0 CAI will bolt right up without any modification.

We'll see.

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm eventually going to make my own, but it is a ways out. Been working on designs for months. I'll probably make the prototype out of sheet metal,then if it does show gains like I want it too I'll figure out a way to have it 3d printed so it will A) Be better to look at and B) I'll be able to sell them faster.
Ideally it will have a front mount throttle body, fitted for the 5.0 TB, and designed so a 5.0 CAI will bolt right up without any modification.

We'll see.
Keep us updated, I'll definitely be open to buying it if fitment and sealing is good.
Sponsored