Sponsored

GTTP Build

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
Well I wanted to share my build with you guys as things are starting to pick up steam as work has slowed down, and the days are getting longer.

I have been following the S550 pretty closely since 2013. Pretty excited for the rumors, and was pretty set on picking on up when they became available. Then we started to hear the rumors of the GT350. I am not much of a drag racer, or autocrosser, just very partial to road courses; and the cars that go round them.

I really wanted to buy a GT350, but with the ADM's and wanting to do some other things with my money I decided to get a GTPP. I couldn't find a car like I wanted; ending up talking with Ford customer service reps and they ending up doing a national search for a base GTPP w/ Recaros in Guard. Results came up with 0.

I had waited so long for the GT350 pricing to make my move it was well into 2016MY ordering.

I really wanted a 2015 car, and I didn't want to wait inspite the Sync upgrade. And wasn't to keen on the turn signals within the hood. Dennis Willard at Huntington Ford was able to get a un-built allocation from somewhere, and get my car special ordered, and built after the 4th of July shutdown.

From the get go I was a little upset there wasn't a true track package. Granted the GT350 is more than carrying that banner, I wish there was some more trickle down. Specifically the the tire, Wheel, and dampeners departments.

So I decide I was going to build a GTTP. And like most project cars she has a name as well. Eva, that may or may not be related the the fact the car is fine, and green; and so is Eva Green.

The main focus would be tires, wheels, dampeners, weight reduction, while maintaining the current level of NVH mitigation. And a powertrain warranty.

- Before I had the car I ordered a resonator delete, and it was installed within a day or so. I have pictures, but that was done in a work facility with other work projects in the background so no pictures. The car sounded awesome with open exhaust. IIRC The resonator delete cuts about 11lbs of weight.

- Sound tube delete, and I removed the engine covers which is close to 6lbs of weight.

- I got a set of pre-production GT350 seats, which saved about 4.5lbs, and provides extra bolstering and maintains all OEM airbags.

- I have been holding off of 19x10' F14 wheels for the N4S 6G wheel, so if anyone is interested in a square set of 19's wither 19x10 or 19x11 let me know and we can split two sets since they are staggered. 285 MPSS will likely be tire of choice.

While I had alot of plans for the winter, that sort of stopped when I meet Todd from Helion Composites and we discussed working on making components for the Mustang, as he is looking to branch out more.

I mentioned how much I liked the Mustang front end, but the GT350's hood specificity how functional it's changes where. I was also rather displeased with most aftermarket offerings. We and some of my coworkers decided to give it a go. So I am taking the long way to weight reduction and aero improvements in that manner.

Its got a little ways to go before we can make a Carbon Fiber one, but it sure looks awesome. We are estimating a 17-20lbs weight savings.

While the hood has been off, I added the Ford Performance passenger side oil separator.

The next major steps for the car.

- GT350R RSD,that should be good for 30lbs.

- Automatic RDU, aside from the weight savings. There are some inherit cooling benefits. While the cast iron unit was likely selected for the manual cars due to increase durability in some more extreme situations. I won't induce the loads, or power that some of these drag racers are that cause them to fail.

The weight savings may washout depending on what route I decide to do to keep differential temperatures lower. However from what I have seen the aluminum unit its worth about 10lbs.

That will likely be the end of the the first phase of the project. Need to get the car out on the track and do some driver mods, before I start looking and suspension options.

Next consideration is bumpers. I was going to stick OEM and do GT350 bumper beams however they seem to not be a very cost effect means at this point. I talked with Todd briefly about doing an affordable set of composite bumpers. Which may be the next little project as he thinks it's doable.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
68fbjjz109

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
I guess I should have waited till I was rested to post. Mods can you please move this to Member Projects? Thanks.

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Thanks for the data.

Anymore info on the hood? Seems it's a one off you made with your buds? I'm also looking for a functional hood that is still reasonable in looks.

OP
OP
68fbjjz109

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
Well for a short time I will have the only one. It will go into production though.

The Carbon versions will use Sigmatex 245GSM 3k 2x2 twill, which is a high quality aerospace certified material.

Sponsored

OP
OP
68fbjjz109

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
Thanks, trying to get as much as I can from the car. While still having a car I can still comfortably drive across the country.

Nick71692

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 PP Mustang
im going a similar path as you.

Question how did you get the seats, or are you the infamous guys who happened to find them on Craigslist one day?

OP
OP
68fbjjz109

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
I did get them on Craigslist but, I am the second person to acquire them as such. But they are the infamous seats.

I have seen two sets of GT350 seats on Ebay, however they had the Airbags removed. I have considered trying to get a production set ad modify the stitching. Though I may do a set of comfortable fixed race seats and try and get another 20 lbs out of the car. I just don't know what I would do about the airbag light, and if it would cause any other system issues.

OP
OP
68fbjjz109

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
So alot has happened, and nothing has happened since I started this thread.

I did manage to pick up a Automatic RDU and will at some point be swapping my Torsen into it. That will get ~10lbs from the car, and aid in dif cooling. I will also likely go with a set of 3.55's to help out on local tracks and regain some lost mileage I will likely incur after new wheels and tires.

However unfortunately the car got hit. I thought for sure they would total it based on perusing totaled S550's online. However they didn't total it. Bitter sweet as Guard is discontinued. However I will never be able to shake the fact the car might not be right, and I will likely have minor but continual issues.

We'll see. However Huntington collision did a pretty good should putting it back together.

Then there is the hood. Myself and a few other backs have taken full ownership of the tooling, and are having it quoted now. As soon as the company is created there will be a official vendor account to discuss it. However I am hoping to have a a prototype stylized hood on the car to test at the track in April. We'll see how it goes.

Within the week, I should be ordering 19x11 6GR wheels, with the Conti Extreme Contact 305/30/19's. I am fair from pleased with the Pirelli tire life, and the performance. My front's are at 7/32's and the rears are at 4/32's. While I have gotten the car a little loose at times. I purposely avoid abusing them so I can use them in the turns. Hopefully the squared setup will help alleviate shorter rear tire life.
20160808_165430.jpg
20160907_154559.jpg
20160909_092037.jpg
20160929_152926.jpg
20170322_062312.jpg
Sponsored