Sponsored

Opinion on what color to powder coat OEM wheels!

OP
OP
ghost5.0

ghost5.0

ghost5.0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium in Oxford White
Just came up with an interesting idea and tried to photoshop it... what if I leave the inner portions of the wheel stock oem paint and powdercoat the brighter aluminum outside lip and spokes black?? I think it'll look pretty sweet I'm going to ask my powder coat guy if this would even be possible.

Thoughts? I believe it'll match my new accents perfectly while still retaining a bit of the darker inner aluminum, be easier to clean rather than a whole black wheel, and make the wheel itself appear larger.

*Obviously I am not a pro photoshopper... it'll look better in real life
1463198188.ksbkabcsakjbckas.jpg
kadbckabkbaskvc.jpg

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RubyRed GT M6 Premium
That looks good! Funny you posted this as l was thinking of almost the same thing but with bronze and black.

OP
OP
ghost5.0

ghost5.0

ghost5.0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How odd... after posting that I also thought of doing that with bronze and black. May have found a winner! Now I'm just hoping this is possible to powdercoat two different colors on one wheel! Anyone know if that type of thing can be done?

Thanks everyone for input! I will be having this done within this month and I'll post my results up here when it's all finished. :headbang:

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RubyRed GT M6 Premium
Yeah, l wouldn't leave this up to a local Power Coater unless you have seen actual examples that they can actyally do it.I l would PM Paul@N4SM and see what he thinks about doing this, he's a great guy and is always super helpful.

Sponsored

Clarkson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clarkson
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 Ingot Silver Manual
I have seen a mustang that looked exactly like yours in my area (white, foundry wheels). He powder painted it gloss black and it looked worse IMO. The machined face is what makes this wheel look so good and if you paint it in one color, you might ruin it. I would just try to sell this and get a wheel in different color.

But thats just me and its your car :)

Jonas-RR-GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonas
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
Just Plastic dip them in the color you want. I did mine in white to get a feel for it. You can always take it off and try another color.
1463220333.image.jpg

OP
OP
ghost5.0

ghost5.0

ghost5.0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Never thought choosing a wheel color would be so nauseating! My powder coating guy said it is not possible for him to do 2 different colors on one wheel. I agree painting the whole wheel black would take away too much character from the wheel and make it boring. Went to a custom shop (who always treats me well) and he said he could easily paint and clear coat the brighter aluminum part black and leave the darker inner portions stock. He also tried to convince me to do white inner portions and blackout the rest. Says it'll make them look like "a $6000 set of wheels"... Not sure if I'm bold enough to ride around with some panda bear looking rims...

I did a quick photoshop to try to see what black and white wheels would look like but I'm having a hard time trying to figure out if this is tasteful or cheesy.

Think I may stick with my idea of just blacking out the spokes/lip and call it a day.
1463268539.image.jpg

Azzurro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium. Race Red
How odd... after posting that I also thought of doing that with bronze and black. May have found a winner! Now I'm just hoping this is possible to powdercoat two different colors on one wheel! Anyone know if that type of thing can be done?

Thanks everyone for input! I will be having this done within this month and I'll post my results up here when it's all finished. :headbang:
You can do two colors. Avant Garde does it.

1463292951.image.jpeg

Sponsored
OP
OP
ghost5.0

ghost5.0

ghost5.0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does anyone happen to know the weight of the factory 20s?? I think I'm ditching the idea of painting these and may sell them and go aftermarket. If I were to purchase a set of new wheels, I would definitely want them to be lighter than the OEM wheels.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Have you tried the Prismatic Powders website?
If you're thinking of Bronze (or any colour really) they have a massive range, including the MRR bronze pictured earlier.
That colour, on your car.... GRRRRRR!

Chris@Lethal

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
As the title states, I'm looking for opinions on what color to have my factory 20's powder coated. FYI- the roof and heat extractors are going to be wrapped gloss black, and I'm also thinking about adding some white tire lettering.

Thanks for any input!

Go for a Matte Bronze!!!:headbang:
Sponsored