Steeda Tri-ax Trio - a noise

ptoemmes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible, White, PP 6sp
Steeda Pompano, FL installed their Tri-ax trio which - the third component - is the transmission brace bushing.

It works just as I had hoped. Great bang for the buck.

Now, I know there would be an increase in some noise and vibration - actually it is nearly imperceptible - it's a vert with sound tube removed.

However. there is a vibration and I know where it is coming from and how to "stop" it. It is the reverse lockout collar vibrating on something - perhaps the shaft. It's a buzz like noise more than a vibration - in any gear - and if I put about 1/8" upward pressure on the lockout collar - crickets - buzz gone.

Anyone else have this or any speculation what it might be?

I've talked to Steeda - they were perplexed - and it is going back in for exhaust next week so I am sure it will get worked out - if it does not disappear on it's own.

Pete
Sponsored

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
It's coming from the reverse collar. It needs to be a aligned. I am having the same issue. I will be applying electric tape on the shifter so when it does hit it, it will not buzz. Hoping that to do the trick.

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
are you using the stock reverse collar? it's been known to do that. I used the Barton reverse lockout collar which has an O-ring to prevent this from happening.

shay101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Steeda Pompano, FL installed their Tri-ax trio which - the third component - is the transmission brace bushing.

It works just as I had hoped. Great bang for the buck.

Now, I know there would be an increase in some noise and vibration - actually it is nearly imperceptible - it's a vert with sound tube removed.

However. there is a vibration and I know where it is coming from and how to "stop" it. It is the reverse lockout collar vibrating on something - perhaps the shaft. It's a buzz like noise more than a vibration - in any gear - and if I put about 1/8" upward pressure on the lockout collar - crickets - buzz gone.

Anyone else have this or any speculation what it might be?

I've talked to Steeda - they were perplexed - and it is going back in for exhaust next week so I am sure it will get worked out - if it does not disappear on it's own.

Pete
I'm having the same issue with the reverse lockout collar vibrating at higher RPMs and hitting the shaft. It causes a rattling noise which is annoying. When I hold the collar or push it up at higher RPMs the noise goes away. Anyone find a better solution for this?

skinnysaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I'm having the same issue with the reverse lockout collar vibrating at higher RPMs and hitting the shaft. It causes a rattling noise which is annoying. When I hold the collar or push it up at higher RPMs the noise goes away. Anyone find a better solution for this?
+1
I'm having the same issue with my Steeda Tri-ax race shifter. The rattling is most pronounced in 3rd and 4th gear and above 3K RPM it gets pretty annoying. I have the Steeda reverse collar installed when the shifter was installed. HELP!

Sponsored

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
+6. Was thinking of adding some tape to the shaft as well, but not sure how well that would hold up. Actually mine has been installed for about 4K miles and it pretty much stopped doing it.

The OP said Steeda was perplexed with the issue, way for them to play the game.

Last edited:

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Okay so I fixed my rattling noise. Once you install the spring back on the white small plastic washer has to have the flatter side of it facing down and the rubber o-ring on top of it and then slide in the reverse collar. That fixed it for me.

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Okay so I fixed my rattling noise. Once you install the spring back on the white small plastic washer has to have the flatter side of it facing down and the rubber o-ring on top of it and then slide in the reverse collar. That fixed it for me.
Perfect! Thank you for the update!

shay101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
My problem was fixed by switching out to the steeda reverse lockout collar which has an o-ring inside of it. Many thanks to Mike D over at steeda for resolving my issue!

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Glad Mike was able to get it solved - always happy to help!

Best Regards,

TJ

Sponsored

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
My problem was fixed by switching out to the steeda reverse lockout collar which has an o-ring inside of it. Many thanks to Mike D over at steeda for resolving my issue!
That fixes it as well. That should actually make it quieter then the stock one. Have you tried the dynamat and lead sheet cover? You can't tell different between stock and aftermarket one with noise.

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RubyRed GT M6 Premium
Work still in progress on my collar vibration.
I went back through and double checked the o-rings, the white washer orientation, and made sure the three allen screws were installed/tighened correctly. I also threw on the Barton billet collar which did help muffle the noise some.
Next step (which should do the trick) will be some Teflon PTFE or electrical tape to take up some of slop between the collar and shaft.:)

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Work still in progress on my collar vibration.
I went back through and double checked the o-rings, the white washer orientation, and made sure the three allen screws were installed/tighened correctly. I also threw on the Barton billet collar which did help muffle the noise some.
Next step (which should do the trick) will be some Teflon or electrical tape to take up some of slop between the collar and shaft.:)
Just keep in mind the collar slides up and down. So it might cause issue going up and down. What shift knob are you using?

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RubyRed GT M6 Premium
Just keep in mind the collar slides up and down. So it might cause issue going up and down. What shift knob are you using?
Right, I did the shifter install myself. I've had the top side apart a few times now so I have a pretty good understanding of the shifter, not to mention the function of the reverse pull-up collar.
Being teflon, the tape I chose obviously has a very smooth surface. It's also resistant to tears, punctures, abrasion, and wear.
Like the OP mentioned, (and others) if I pull up on the collar or even grab it while driving the rattle stops. Hence my plan to eliminate the knob to collar gap and still have the collar slide as it should without inducing any binding.
I did go with an aftermarket knob, same issue as with the stock knob it didn't change anything as far as the rattle goes.

If this doesn't fix it I might try adding the o-ring above the white washer like you mentioned.

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Right, I did the shifter install myself. I've had the top side apart a few times now so I have a pretty good understanding of the shifter, not to mention the function of the reverse pull-up collar.
Being teflon, the tape I chose obviously has a very smooth surface. It's also resistant to tears, punctures, abrasion, and wear.
Like the OP mentioned, (and others) if I pull up on the collar or even grab it while driving the rattle stops. Hence my plan to eliminate the knob to collar gap and still have the collar slide as it should without inducing any binding.
I did go with an aftermarket knob, same issue as with the stock knob it didn't change anything as far as the rattle goes.

If this doesn't fix it I might try adding the o-ring above the white washer like you mentioned.
That was the problem I was having because I didn't have the o-ring on top of the white washer. Once I put the o-ring on it stopped the buzzing for me. Also I had the ford racing shift knob and it buzzed very little with that. When I put the stock one back on it stopped buzzing completely. I took the ford racing one and shave the inside of it to give it a bigger opening for the collar and that stopped the slight buzzing for the after market one.
Sponsored